• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One America News Network

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Anyone getting the One America News Network on their cable provider?

Any opinions?

The news seems kind of superficial but I think that is because they dont make shit up to fill in the blanks. They had a good report on the birth of ISIS last night that seemed to say a lot of things people dont want to hear (but they need to).

NO television in my home. Life is far more relaxed since I got rid of it.

A quick Google search resulted in it being labeled as a Conservative news network, along the same vein as FOX.
    I was really hoping for better results. A unbiased news agency remains a pipe dream.

A quick Google search resulted in it being labeled as a Conservative news network, along the same vein as FOX.
    I was really hoping for better results. A unbiased news agency remains a pipe dream.

Their talk shows are certainly conservative.

The news is done in BBC American, very monotone and seems straightforward. I'd say less cheerleading in the news than the Fox commentary.

Unlike MSNBC American when you can hear the ejaculate hitting under the news desk as they speak of some liberal story.

NO television in my home. Life is far more relaxed since I got rid of it.
    No television? Oh good heavens maggot, how do you survive? I have three of the things and I distinctly remember turning one of them on about two months ago.

I think it's straight up factual news . I watch it and it pretty much presents facts as for as I can tell. They are definitely conservative.

I watch it and it pretty much presents facts as for as I can tell. They are definitely conservative.

That seems a bit contradictory, right? Facts don't have an ideological bias, opinions do though.

The danger with any of this stuff these days is falling into a pattern of Confirmation Bias, which is something we all do to a degree because it's one of the many natural cognitive biases most are unaware of. These days with the 24 hour news cycle it's really easy to just listen to what you want to hear - just pick a slanted source and ignore the ones that contradict it. Confirmation Bias is a kind of selective thinking that applies merit or validity based on agreement with a personal narrative, not actual reality. This is how you can have such a sizeable chunk of a population so deeply deluded and mislead, even when facts and reality tell them otherwise.

The problem is that it takes education, awareness and effort to not fool ourselves with our own biases. And we fool ourselves better than anyone else, often seeking comfort instead of facing reality. This is precisely why Critical Thinking and understanding cognitive biases is a foundational part of scientific disciplines.

These days, you pretty much have to be very selective about news sources, scoop up lots of info from them, then try to weigh the validity based on evidence and not based on what you'd like to hear. Sometimes the truth hurts, doesn't it fatso? ;)

That seems a bit contradictory, right? Facts don't have an ideological bias, opinions do though.

The danger with any of this stuff these days is falling into a pattern of Confirmation Bias, which is something we all do to a degree because it's one of the many natural cognitive biases most are unaware of. These days with the 24 hour news cycle it's really easy to just listen to what you want to hear - just pick a slanted source and ignore the ones that contradict it. Confirmation Bias is a kind of selective thinking that applies merit or validity based on agreement with a personal narrative, not actual reality. This is how you can have such a sizeable chunk of a population so deeply deluded and mislead, even when facts and reality tell them otherwise.

The problem is that it takes education, awareness and effort to not fool ourselves with our own biases. And we fool ourselves better than anyone else, often seeking comfort instead of facing reality. This is precisely why Critical Thinking and understanding cognitive biases is a foundational part of scientific disciplines.

These days, you pretty much have to be very selective about news sources, scoop up lots of info from them, then try to weigh the validity based on evidence and not based on what you'd like to hear. Sometimes the truth hurts, doesn't it fatso? ;)

And that confirmation bias you speak of can become so deeply entrenched in the psyche that when the individual is presented with overwhelming evidence to dispute his view, and prove another, they are unable to accept it. Ive forgoton the term, you may know it, Dog.

Cognitive Dissonance

And this is all a natural waypoint into the Dunning-Kruger Effect, where listening to only what you want to hear can lead to an illusion of intellectual superiority whereas being knowledgeable on a subject and knowing your own limits of that knowledge gives you the opposite reaction, over-emphasizing your faults and not recognizing your superior understanding of subject. I see this on a daily basis here on the Hide and other forums ;)

Nope, no cable at my domicile... refuse to pay for T.V. But I have not heard of it. Rather, a new channel opened a few months back called touch vision with very little commentary, it is decent but unlike other news sources it may take half a day before breaking news is reported... which is fine with me as that seems to be about how long it takes to vet something rather than report miss information like the others I get: CBS, NBC and ABC...

Last edited:

They are definitely biased on their commentary programs ie their version of Bill ORielly and Meghan Kelly. Their programming staff is not as "finished" as their bigger rivals. The ISIS special was very well done though.

As stated the news portion seems to be fact based presented in a boring monotone "this happened here" sort of way. Bias can be presented in this fashion though, best to take in several news sources and read the like of the British papers to round it out.

One thing I do like is during the breaks they play parts of speeches from past Presidents. The speech cuts, from members of both parties, serve to remind one of a time when they seemed to have the best interests of the country (rather than party) in mind.

Cognitive Dissonance

And this is all a natural waypoint into the Dunning-Kruger Effect, where listening to only what you want to hear can lead to an illusion of intellectual superiority whereas being knowledgeable on a subject and knowing your own limits of that knowledge gives you the opposite reaction, over-emphasizing your faults and not recognizing your superior understanding of subject. I see this on a daily basis here on the Hide and other forums ;)

So, either Hubris or excessive humility, show how to balance.