• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One more Scott Parker Thread

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
I just bought an RCBS 10-10 from Amazon but there is a small sticker that says "assembled in China" but on the bottom it says "mfg. by Ohaus scale corp Florham, NJ". I weighed a few 115 grain bullets, 168 grain bullets, 62 grain bullets, 175 grain bullets and all were spot on plus or minus point 1 grain. I spoke to Scott Today and asked him about his scales. I told him I bought an RCBS 10-10 that had the "china sticker" on it and he told me to send it right back to Amazon. He quoted me $175 for a tuned Ohaus 5-0-5 sent to my door. Does this sound a bit high for the 5-0-5 model? I figure shipping both ways would be $40+ so $135 for the scale and his service to tune?

Edit: Ok, I'm not doubting his skills but the one I bought is pretty damn spot on. If I'm not shooting comps do I really need to spend the extra dough on a tuned scale? I'm not opposed to buying the best when it comes to weighing powder loads considering the repercussions if things aren't done right but isn't the whole controversy over whether the scales are made in the United States? Considering it says "Mfg in New Jersey" doesnt that mean its American made?

Last edited:
I ended up ordering one from him a while back after seeing the videos and hearing everyone talk about him. I haven't received it yet but I already know it's money well spent considering the RCBS scale I have now sticks. I can be trickling the powder into the pan and will have to touch the pan for it register the new weight.

I paid $185 a few months ago. I found the scale worked best when leveled in all directions to take advantage of it's sensitivity.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay?

$175 is what I paid, figure I was better off doing that than buying an made in USA RCBS scale off ebay for about the same price. I bid on several USA model 10-10's and they all went higher than that so I got a tuned scale that is more accurate for the same money.

I'm not exactly sure what he does but mine is amazingly accurate and sensitive. I've compared it to other beam scales and the one tuned by him is in a different league. Around the zero mark of the beam it is sensitive to a single grain of extruded powder. I think I paid about $160 for mine. If you supply your own scale I think he charges $40 to tune it (he won't tune any of the made in china models, so your best bet is probably to get a Redding).

I just cleaned my 1978 stock 5-0-5 scale. Cleaned the knife edges and what looked like agate or glass Vee blocks the beam pivots upon. The knive edges look like Beryllium Copper but not sure. It will detect a single grain of 4895 which is smaller than Varget. Accuracy is different from sensitivity and this test only addresses sensitivity. Still, impressive.