• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One more try

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Back in the early 1960's, my Elder Brother bought me my first .22 rifle, a Savage/Anschuts single shot sporter. Over the years, it changed hands several times within the familiy and finally turned up among the Eldest Brother's gun collection when he passed. It had survived a house fire and is in pretty terrible external shape, but the bore is like a mirror.

Unfortunately, it is missing a crucial part.

There <span style="text-decoration: line-through">is</span> was a feeding cradle that slides out anough 1/2" when the bolt is drawn back, performing the task of extraction. The next cartridge is placed with the bullet entering the chamber and the case resting in a round notch in the cradle. When the bolt is closed, the cradle slides forward into an undercut on the end of the barrel and forms the bottom half of the rearward 1/4" or so of the chamber. It looks like a fat 'C'. This part also includes a rearward extending 'hook' about 1" long that rides in a groove in the bottom of the receiver, extanding backward below the 'C' and beneath the forward portion of the bolt, with a projection that reaches up and is caught by the bolt, allowing it to be drawn backward, extractng the cartridge as the bolt is drawn backward. That's the part that's missing.

I cannot identify the rifle's model designation, and changes in company ownership at Anschutz have made inquiries with them unproductive. Ditto with Savage. There is no serial or legible model number. I believe the rifle can be restored to shootable condition if I can obtain or make a replacement for this part.

Does this info ring any bells with any of you here at The 'Hide, and can you point me in a productive direction?

Greg

Re: One more try

Sometimes the Anshutz rifles are hard to identify. If you could post a pic...or find one on gunbroker that looks exactly like yours...I could probably help you.

Re: One more try

Since the fire and the intervening decades, the rifle resenbles a rusty pipe with a bolt hendle sticking o/o one end. There isn't even any stock left. Finding something that looks exactly like it is a stretch. Mainly, I have only half-century-old memories to go on. The stock was very generic in shape,

I've tried the Numrich site. None of the parts diagrams look like my rifle. It is one of the simplest machines I have ever seen. The fire control mechanism consists of a pivoted trigger lever, a sear block, and a leaf spring, period.

Greg