• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing One off CNC Parts? Who does them?

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Let's say I have this crazy idea, to make it work I need a part made.

The part would be a firearm part, about 3/4" x 1.5" I'm guessing, it would need to heat treated too (I'm guessing the best way is before the final machining).

Are there shops that others have used that do this sort of thing? If so, please give me an idea where to start.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: One off CNC Parts? Who does them?

I'm not local, but I am a mechanical engineer by profession and do these sorts of things all the time. You can do a Google search for local machine shops or maybe some guys here know of some. People in the automotive/racing business often are knowledgeable about good shops as well so you can ask/call around.
Contingent on the complexity of what you are trying to do will dictate the type of machine that is needed to make it(this will also play a role in which shop you choose). If it is pretty straight forward, almost any shop can do it (most gunsmiths probably could as well with a mill and lathe). However, if the geometry is complex, you will require more complex equipment such as 4th and 5th axis CNC's, EDM, ect., as well as special tooling and the proper metrology equipment to verify dimensions/tolerances.
The material you are specifying can be problematic as well if it's something more exotic than your basic aluminum alloys and steel variants. Machining things like titanium and beryllium can be hazardous and some shops avoid it.
You will need to provide a sketch or drawing and depending on complexity, they may have someone at the shop model it in 3D CAD if it's going into a CNC so they can program their process routers off the solid model. Be mindful of your tolerances/stack-up as well. If you talk to a knowledgeable machinist and tell him what you are trying to do, they will certainly be able to help you with this.

I have access to 3D CAD and Finite Element Analysis tools and can model something up for you if you need it (could save you a little $ if the shop decides they need it).

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thomas

I'm nowhere near you but I do a lot of one off parts for guys. You don't necessarily need CNC to do limited run parts and in many cases its easier to do them the old fashioned way...with mill, lathe and welder. As noted you should be able to find someone local who is a "Job Shop" meaning that they do outside work as opposed to shops who are dedicated to existing customers and contracts. Check your yellow pages and online sources for machine shops and try calling some of them. Let them know what you're trying to do and if they can't do it they may know someone who can. We tend to refer people to those who can do the job. It helps us all in the long run.

Frank

I do it and have a full compliment of CNC equipment as well as the software/experience to program them.

Understand that new product development is rarely a "knock it out the park on the first hit" endeavor.

It's likely you'll revise the thing a half dozen times or so before you bring it to fruition.

That means money and as mentioned, depending on the complexity, it can get real expensive real quick.

Good luck on your project.

C.

Have you checked with American guns? I 'm sure he could do what ever you need for a good price. If I had to guess I would say no more then $5000 anything under that you might be cutting into his profit. He should be able to heat treat I saw this week's episode and they now are able to color Harded parts in house

Red Jacket can dremel you up about anything you need while being a "game changer" it will really do "big things for you, and take you to new places".

Call down there to ol snaggle tooth and let her get your custom project going.

If C. Dixon will do it, that's who I'd suggest. There's a world of difference between machinists and experienced gunsmiths, and you need that difference.

Greg

It appears I'm good for the time being, I've got some good info from 2 or 3 members here and will move forward with them.

Hoping to think the hell out of it up front so I'm not making too many unnecessary paperweights.

Thanks to all
Jason

If you are good with drawing the design and specifying everything, you can upload drawings to mfg.com and you will get quotes for the work.
The drawings have to be complete though.
If you leave something unspecified, you will get a part that might not be what you expected as the person making it had to decide what to do with the unspecified things...

The OP and I have chatted a bit via PM's. Where this goes is obviously his decision, but I thought I'd share some of the challenges faced anyone attempting to design/develop/produce a gun part like a bolt/receiver.

Understanding this helps for those uneducated on the hows/whys certain things are done the way they are. Maybe someone will find this useful for a future project.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No worries.

I guess anything is possible, but my first question would be, why the extra effort? Why not just order up another bolt in a 223 configuration?

Your idea will almost certainly demand that you change the extractor design I imagine. If your going to go with a floating head style like a Savage I don't see it as too good an idea to have the extractor bridging the gap between bolt body/head. Seems like a great place for it to hang up.

You'd have to pull the barrel anyway to make the jump between a .390/.480/.545/.590 case head. Seems like a simple bolt swap would minimize the headaches and expense your going to undertake.

Just my two bits.

As for materials:

4140 heat treated to around 37HRC is prolly the best. Good hardness, lubricity, toughness, and tolerance to heat/abrasion.

Be even better to have it nickel plated or have a nitride process done on it.

Just remember and your engineer buddy will/should back me up on this. You want AT LEAST 5 POINTS of hardness differential between the receiver and the bolt. This is to mitigate galling on the lugs. Rotating a bolt into battery seems like a pretty straight forward process and it is. However over time failure to observe this little rule can and will likely result in the parts ultimately failing. There's significant shear loading with an action that's a partial cock on open/close fire control design. You need the hardness differential to have it last.

3 lugs do spread the load over a broader footprint than a twin lug does, but the surface area increase over a twin lug isn't that much greater. Not enough to ignore the problem anyway. Don't forget also that a 3 lug system has a 60* bolt lift where's a twin lug has a 90*. That means the ramp angles are more aggressive when resetting the fire control. This is at the back of the bolt and has little to do with up front, but it does still emphasize the importance of the hardness differential because the striker assy has to move the same distance in less rotation. Gotta make sure the material conditions are jonny on the spot otherwise your going to have a nasty mess that can easily result in a bolt stuck in the receiver.

Good luck and hope it works. I'd still opt for a new bolt though.

C.</div></div>

find a shop with a 3D printer, it will much cheaper to protottype and once you find out the part works, you can have it machined, fixture made for it etc.
good luck.

Chad- have to say I'm impressed again. You have some amazing knowledge you share with all of us.

I am in your "Area" and have a few people I know that may be able to help you out. IM Sent