• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One rifle and only one rifle

paindoc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2008
Peoples Republic of Michigan
There have been similar threads but not sure I have seen it asked this way so if it has been asked please forgive me.

You can only have one bolt rifle. Only one. It can never be replaced. Once you have it you are stuck with it. No trades or sales.

Only one in your lifetime.

Which one?

Which one.

Model 70 30/06, always will be ammo, not a trend bullet, been there for over 100 years, always will be there. Model 70 is a very simple and robust weapon, would get a heavier barrel though.

There have been similar threads but not sure I have seen it asked this way so if it has been asked please forgive me.

You can only have one bolt rifle. Only one. It can never be replaced. Once you have it you are stuck with it. No trades or sales.

Only one in your lifetime.

Which one?

Which one.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you during this troubling time. I hope I never have to ponder such a terrible thing.

And with this one rifle I would be allowed to hunt any game I chose legally as per the special one rifle rule? Only one and no others allowed?
Anschutz 64 MPR with 16x MK4...just like it is sitting in my safe right now.

And I currently own a tactical rifle chambered for '06. In case you thought my choices limited, I also own several 223's.

Last edited:
Blaser LRS2/Tac2 or a DTA SRS.

LRS-2 would be my choice, but... That is why I bought one.

You only said one rifle, no limit on barrels.

Last edited:
Garand....

...oops saw it had to be a bolt rifle. That would be out of my element. Only bolts I own are Springfield 03's so Ill stick with what I know and say an 03.

Last edited:
600px-Rambo3-Fake50cal4A.jpg

Any reliable rifle in .22 hornet. Why, because I can take anything for squirrels to deer with it.

AI AW .308 if I could only have 1 rifle total
AW/AX 300wm if I could only have 1 bolt-action rifle, but would get a 223 and 308 semi-auto.

AI AW .308. My current rifles include three Surgeon Scalpels (6.5 CM and 7WSM), a McMillan TAC 300, a custom .22-250 built by DPR, and an Accuracy International AW .308. All are very accurate. Overall my AI AW is my favorite...by far (has nothing to do with caliber).

Josh

A question like this is always going to come up with the personal (and fan-boy) favorites. Yeah, there's the AI/TRG guys that are always coming around trumpeting the toughness of their particular systems, and the DTA guys spouting off about the versatility and compactness of theirs. I'm wondering why nobody said the AI PRS though if they want true versatility and toughness...

Me though? I have my favorite. My M40A1. Nope, it's not the hardest hitting being held to .308. Yep, the trigger and bolt release can give you issues and they're far from versatile. Sure, the wire reticle isn't the best and I've had them break before and hell, I don't even have a bipod or DBM either. But quite frankly they're tough, simple, accurate and it flat works for me. It's my good old friend with volumes of memories in my head of good times, even if they were shitty at the time, but good times nonetheless.

I'm glad having just one isn't the case. I'm an American and buying out of "wants" versus only needs is how we roll, so I'll also keep my multitudes of other rifles, pistols and shotguns, each with their own place and purpose, even if that purpose is simply having good times banging steel and busting clays.

Last edited:
I think the DTA is going to be hard to beat due to the ability to change the calibers across a wide range. However I would have to go with this:

My Sauer 200TR. It is currently a 22LR but I have a 308 barrel for it and can change to any caliber in that bolt face with an allen wrench similar to the DTA. It sounds funny but I would have much more use for a 22LR than a large magnum.

Oh I can run irons as well:

Last edited:
would be happy with any of the following:

DTA SRS
AI PSR
Surgeon long action switch barrel
GAP Long action Switch Barrel
APA Long action switch barrel
.... get my drift, lol

I'd be happy with an AI or R700-based custom with a .473" bolt face and a quiver of barrels. If forced to narrow things down to a single chambering, I'd pick .243 Win - it's versatile enough for any game in the area, and offers readily-available ammo and components.

700 any model in 30-06. Easy to find parts and ammo no matter where you are in the world.

L

would be happy with any of the following:

DTA SRS
AI PSR
Surgeon long action switch barrel
GAP Long action Switch Barrel
APA Long action switch barrel
.... get my drift, lol

+1 There are a bunch of great rifles. Why limit yourself to just one.

Anyways, I would feel guilty leaving one rifle in the safe by itself. It might start bitching that I don't love her enough, start cheating on me and i would have to divorce her and replace her with a newer model.

I would go with the AIAW 308. Ammo more available in that caliber. It is a tough rifle and might be able to withstand abuse over the years. It's reliable.
Weight is a negative though.

Model 70 30/06, always will be ammo, not a trend bullet, been there for over 100 years, always will be there. Model 70 is a very simple and robust weapon, would get a heavier barrel though.

I'll second the Win 70 .30-'06, for precisely the reasons cited.

I bought mine close to 20 years ago, shoot it for game, have shot it for Sniper Matches in an earlier lifetime, and have never had even the slightest inkling of a reason to regret my purchase. It's light and wieldy. I find that for my purposes, 155's will slay any wily paperbeast that needs slaying, 165 Core-Lokts will deliver any larger meat animals I may want, and that 125 Nosler BT's and reduced loads will serve my Minnie Mouse Granddaughter just fine for anything she wants to tag.

That's my wavelength.

Greg

Last edited:
Why the "only one rifle" hypothetical? This seems to come up ever few months.

Maybe the fact that it cones up often means that it is a poignant issue.

Political??
Economic ??
Practical??

I am very grateful for the choices I have for equipment. Our sport is growing and the vendor lists keep expanding. This is based purely on demand.

However for some of us depending on where we live , money available to us and practical limitations many of us like these questions. I find it useful for future purchases.

For the overall uses associated with just one caliber for my first choice I would go with my Remington Field Master pump .22 and my second choice would be an AIAX and a Remington 700 for my third.

m1 garand. If it can win a world war it is good enough for anything I might need.