• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One Rifle For Everything

I could do it, but it would be expensive and I might have a slightly different way of evaluating/prioritizing things.

I'd I had to have one rig, I think a 6cm in a 24" fluted m24 barrel could be a do all. Hnt26 chassis to kill critters at 12#, heavy chassis to shoot matches. I have this same setup in 6gt. I'm going to kill with it this fall. I may even hunt elk with nose ring cut 115 dtac.

Last edited:
I have a 20” RPR, Kreiger barrel. A little heavy, put a PRS stock which folds. Pretty compact, good for 1000 yrds. Shoots 175 SMK right at 2600 fps. I’m sure there are better combos?

Last edited:
One rifle? Might I ask you refrain from this language. It is against the COC. I checked. J/K

Well, you should be able to sell your Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creed for about what you paid for it...

I'd I had to have one rig, I think a 6cm in a 24" fluted m24 barrel could be a do all. Hnt26 chassis to kill critters at 12#, heavy chassis to shoot matches. I have this same setup in 6gt. I'm going to kill with it this fall. I may even hunt elk with nose ring cut 115 dtac.

My Mausingfield has multiple setups - largely because I don't currently have the funds nor the space for multiple Mausingfields in different configurations.

I have two heavy contoured target barrels and a JAE chassis' for target shooting and comps. For hunting I have a lightweight 18" contour barrel and a KRG Bravo chassis.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's a workable one. Especially given current budgetary constraints. But to save money there is a lot of concessions that have to made with a rifle that serves multiple purposes.

I still like the idea of a DTA - with multiple barrels from .223 to .300NM to serve multiple roles that I don't require or want dedicated rifles for. I may do this at one point (but still keep my Mausingfield and TacOps). But again, there's still lots of tradeoffs.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
I’ve pondered re-configuring my Bighorn .22BR to more of a match AND hunting rig. Right now it’s in a Bravo with a Bart 24” REM varmint barrel. Scope, can, bipod and all she’s 18 lbs.

All I’ve ever shot with it have been bench long rang steel matches. Thought I’d shoot a PRS match every now and again with it but haven’t. The most any of the steel matches have required has been 70 rounds. The monthly ones at Dead Zero are only 25. Probably on burned 250-300 match rounds this year (I know that’s a light weekend for some of you).

Seriously pondering an 18” light Palma 6.5 Creed in a Grayboe Terrain.

The bright thing to do would likely be to chop a T3X Lite at 18”, mount up a 6x SWFA and keep my damn .22 BR as is.

But still…….

I don't want one gun for everything, I want one gun for everything.

(Lets see, I need a small take down rifle to put in a bush plane if I ever own one. Mid range nutria rifle, that's also on the list. Still need a dedicated polar bear rifle...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Ridge
I had a 24” 8tw. Broughton in 223, Varget and 75 Amax. NF 15x. Was all I needed prarie dogs in SD., early Guardian matches, local 3-900 target range, early Alabama and K&M matches. Lots of utility. Lots of learnin.

Reactions: DIBBS
I don't want one gun for everything, I want one gun for everything.

(Lets see, I need a small take down rifle to put in a bush plane if I every own one. Mid range nutria rifle, that's also on the list. Still need a dedicated polar bear rifle...)
True. Although...part of me wants a solid core arsenal of high utility firearms, and then a random assortment of esoteric oddities and cross training samples.

Reactions: long range sponge
Side note to this concept, the topic of expense is kind of important. For the money it would cost to build a do-everything tool, I could buy some other rifles for less money.

Example: I would like an all-weather all-purpose hunting rifle and a big bore rifle. I could buy barrels for a DTA SRSA2, which I want anyway for long range shooting, and suitable hunting optics in QD mounts. Or I could buy a hunting rifle and a big bore lever action for less than 1 barrel for the DTA, both of which would be more efficient for the task than the DTA.

I dunno. Excluding PRS or at least if you’re really trying to be competitive with it. A 17LB 6.5 lapua in a manners T6 with 22” medium/heavy Palma hasn’t left me desiring much else and I’ve had god knows how many different rifles since 2008

I'm dreaming of a 6mm something cartridge in an MTU barrel to shoot "zombies" and brown bear.

A lot of people try to do that with suppressors too. Usually is not optimal for whatever you are doing. Better off getting on what you are wanting rather than compromising and regretting it later. AKA, buy once, cry once.

As the saying goes, jack of all trades master of none.
That is the American Navy SEALS unofficial motto. It does have universal application. Haha

Last edited:
GAP10 in 308 win will do everything I need a rifle for....
I might be so bold to suggest the original poster was seeking a non egocentric response of individual application, and was rather seeking a generalist response. I could be wrong. It has happened before.

Grandpa's 30-06......... Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Personally I don't think its possible or at least not recommended. Rifles are tools in your toolbox and have their specific use as such. You can't big game hunt with a 22LR, but you can't afford to become proficient with a 300 PRC either. You can get by with one rifle for big game, one rifle for pest control, etc. The more specific you become with your shooting, the more niche your rifle becomes as well.

I think it depends on the scope of targets. For anything from feral hog and larger, I would suggest 7 mm PRC. And I say this being a .308 W fan and having a handful of .308 rifles. I also have a 7 PRC and it is becoming my favorite everything rifle.

But it might be a bit much for squirrel or ground hoggs. For those, I would take from the experience of the guys in the Chuckin channel and go with a .22-250 for really small game.

But I have seen at least one other build a 6 ARC for varmints up to whitetail deer. Kind of semi-auto truck gun.

After seeing elk deer Moose Antelope bears die from a 223 sending 77tmk at 2850fps, hard to say we need anything more!

4k posts and a few years deep. Lots of shocking terminal results from something you'd expect be a lot larger cartridge.

Obviously you’ve never heard of AI

1693363703556.gif