• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One rilfe to pick which one?

dar1246

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Nebraska
www.youtube.com
If you had one rifle to have for a lifetime (caliber,optics,had to last your liftime) which one would it be.

I think my caliber would be the 22 if I could stock pile the ammo.

Re: One rilfe to pick which one?

Iron sights or optics. Looking for lifetime.
Barrel life, ammo cost. The 22 will kill about any animal in US. It is also easy to pack 5000 rounds with you. Range max 200 yards. Ammo is cheap but not like it use to be. Scope with irons as a back up.
I think the 308 is great but would it be the gun for a lifetime????

Is this gun to shoot? or for SHTF scenarios? I like 308. For wilderness survival, I can certainly see the advantage of a 22 LR.

You could only keep one gun. Shit hit the fan. Which one would you pick for the long haul. Think of all the things you might need to supply the rifle of choice and consider the pros and cons of the rifle of your choice.

I do know it is a common thing to think the 308 or whatever caliber. But think of the long haul. Carry ammo,how affective is the round, will I be able to get supplies for the rifle in most cases. Things of this nature. Then make a choice.

If I had to pick one rifle i would be the AK 47. With iron sights.

I'd take my DPMS in .308. If anything else, I'd try to take a .22LR as well, but you said only one. 8 mags, some spare ammo. NF 2-10, with back up irons. Should get me threw anything that would come up.

This one, iron sights only
P1010007.thumb.jpg

Reach, punch, an Full Auto if needed, lots of specialty ammo floating around, to include low noise w/o a can. Plus chamber adapters to shoot 30 cal carbine, ect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could only keep one gun. Shit hit the fan. Which one would you pick for the long haul. Think of all the things you might need to supply the rifle of choice and consider the pros and cons of the rifle of your choice. </div></div>

Whatever rifle I had handy (hopefully it would be good enough to get me another rifle or two).......

On the Desert tactical. how many guns on the market for parts. I would take this in consideration. I would think about products that can't be ordered and would have to find local suppliers.

30-30 Marlin 336 lever action. Can do just about anything you want, as long as it's inside 300 yards (which most things you'd normally encounter will be). Reliable, easy to use, cheap. Great all-around rifle.

If you define your needs better we might give you better answers.

I would build a light weight LR-260 or LR-308 with flip up iorns and have my optics in a Laure mount for easy disposal.

I think I would go with a Browning BLR or a bolt gun of some sort in .243 with a 4x fixed scope either IOR or Leupold.

Pre 1964 - Winchester Model 94 30-30 Lever Action

I'd keep my AR. Better than a 22 for home defense. Can hunt all but the biggest game...i.e. you might crap your pants shooting a grizzly bear with it. :) Ammo is cheap and plentiful and light.....most important.

I think a Remm 700 would be a good choice because of the parts issue. A lot of factory and aftermarket parts. How many rounds can a person carry with a 308 or a similiar cart.? I do believe the weight issue would be something to consider. This is somewhat the military issue is weight. Having enough affective rounds to carry.

Parts
Weight
lasting
how affective the cart. is
Ammo supply
Things I would consider would be. If my gun went down how easy would it be to stumble across parts,ammo in the field or to trade for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could only keep one gun. Shit hit the fan. Which one would you pick for the long haul. Think of all the things you might need to supply the rifle of choice and consider the pros and cons of the rifle of your choice. </div></div>

Whatever rifle I had handy (hopefully it would be good enough to get me another rifle or two)....... </div></div>

The most realistic response.

This topic gets beaten to death over on the ARFCOM Survival Forum . You might head over there and read up. There's so many variables (bug in vs. out, etc).

-Slice

SHTF, rifle, maybe. Maybe not.

Very few of us have experinced the kind of unrest that can occur when rioting breaks out.

I grew up in Newark, NJ; living on Mt. Prospect Avenue in the North Ward there from 1958 until 1989. Rioting was well documented in July of 1967, but my own July of 1967 was spent in Qua Viet, RVN.

Less well known are the semi-riot unrests that broke out in succeding years, including the MLK Assasinaton riot, the Kawaida Towers unrest, and the Puerto Rican riots in the mid 1970's. While much of it was confined to the immediate vicinities of public housing projects, we lived only three or four blocks away from the Archbishop Walsh projects, and some of that overflowed and ran right past our front doors.

Several times, we neighbors would sit down on our front steps with 12ga shotguns cradled in our laps, waiting to see what occurred and demonstrating a determined presence and willingness to assure that what came along kept on going. And that's what happened. Disorganized groups of would-be looters would come by, take one look at the shotguns, and keep on going. No shots, no actual violence, just hotheads pushing their luck and seeking the path of least resistance, while homeowners did ther best to represent the most resistant path.

I think that appearances count, and for a potential miscreant, a quick gaze down the unlit railroad tunnel of a 12ga muzzle can be a religious experince. I.e., one good glimpse, and they get religion fast. Whatever it is they're planning to do, plans get altered to do it somewhere else, and pronto.

If pressed to the point where shots get fired, long range is not really a big part of the program. Buckshot and slug distances comprise most fo the likeliest arena.

I like the 20ga. It gets it done with less fuss, muss, and mayhem on the shooter's end of the transaction.

A dot scope and either an Improved Cylinder or Rifled choke tube will handle both, with more up close dispersion of the buck with the rifled tube, which may be counterintuitive but I still like the idea; and basic 5/8oz rifled slugs perform with a good bit more accuracy than I had expected out of the rifled tube.

The thing that many don't realize is that when it comes, you're gonna know some of the folks involved. Tony Imperiale, Don Payne, the Adubato brothers and several notable others were acquaintances and/or personal friends. Things are seldom as simple to sort through as one might expect.

Greg

M16 12.5" barrel, Ops Inc can(love them) trijicon Accupoint 1-4X German reticle, w/buis.
Kills game, handy, lots of parts floating around

dmtsc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: awp762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd pick a R700 bolt action in .308, plenty of parts out there & ammo is everywhere. </div></div>

I'm with awp762....+1 on this.

My L1A1.Very reliable,rugged,plenty of mags and spare parts. It's also very nasty looking.

+1 on the AK...possibly a Rem 870(can take down anything with the right ammo)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My L1A1.Very reliable,rugged,plenty of mags and spare parts. <span style="color: #3366FF">It's also very nasty looking.</span> </div></div>

Please tell me you didn't just say that.......

Yes I did. For the same reasons Greg likes the intimidating appearance of a shotgun to deter looters and gangs. I just prefer the FAL/L1A1 family of rifles over shotguns.

Bolt action 308 with a Nightforce on top. Preferably a Remington or Savage.

I just saw a <span style="font-style: italic">Mythbusters</span> episode last night (slow night on TV) where they revisited (and re-busted) the one about getting blown away by projectile impact, just like in the movies.

The interesting thing was watching the slowmo where the 12ga slug went though Buster and both the front and back of the ballistic vest he had on. Range 23ft, or the apparently documented average distance for a bullet wound.

That was a BIG surprise.

Greg

Remington 700 .308 by GAP and Schmidt & Bender Scope