• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

One Stop shop

Scarface26

knuckle dragger
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Southeast OK
Gents,

I asked a similar question a few years back. Back then BA and Rainier were still loved by all of us, and Rainier is along the lines of what I'm seeking which is a one stop shop for all (most) things AR related. Is there a place that'll sell you an awesome BCG, well-fitted receiver set, decent barrel, stocks, sights etc. at a decent price? Asking because lots of places have great prices but the shipping adds up when you have to source parts from six or seven places.

Brownells comes to mind, but they try to cover so many bases.

Thanks in advance and God bless America

Yeah that's not a lot to go on because "decent price" is subjective. Check out Sons of Liberty Gun Works, Bravo Company Manufacturing, or Aero Precision for the budget side of things. All three have uppers, lowers, barrels, handguards, triggers, etc...in this day and age though pricing and availability is what it is and it's getting harder to truly be a "one stop shop".

If you’re too cheap to pay a few more bucks for shipping or too lazy to place multiple orders to put together a quality rifle just order a POS PSA and be done with it.

• Haha
Reactions: FALex
Look for the sales and get what you want when it comes available at the price your happy with. There are plenty of places you will find everything at a “one stop” shop, but will probably end up paying more for one or two items.

Reactions: camocorvette
Yeah that's not a lot to go on because "decent price" is subjective. Check out Sons of Liberty Gun Works, Bravo Company Manufacturing, or Aero Precision for the budget side of things. All three have uppers, lowers, barrels, handguards, triggers, etc...in this day and age though pricing and availability is what it is and it's getting harder to truly be a "one stop shop
There are many sites/companies doing this. Going to have to be more specific on what you're looking for.
Point taken. I'm considering a "hard use" rifle. Leaning towards 16" bbl intermediate gas, vLtor a5, triggertach duty, some free float hand guard. As you might have guessed I'm partial to money but I have plenty of experience with "it fell apart like a dollar watch." For what I'm willing to spend I could get a very nice factory gun but I'd like to learn and assemble my own.

Chrome lined 16" with intermediate gas aren't very common. Not a deal breaker.

As an aside, lots of companies are including a tensioning screw. None of my AR's have this. Some have play between the upper and lower and some don't. I'd prefer none, but for those who have been "thrifty" AND gone with a matched billet set, how much if any difference did you see and where? FWIW, I shoot either as bad or good as another with what i have, for now.

If I was going to do a one stop shop for a full upper end/Gucci build, I’d go with Rainier for sure or maybe try Big Tex Ordinance.

Reactions: Scarface26
I don't really do any "one site shopping", but I do check out Joe Bob Outfitters fairly regularly. Never spent less than $90 there, though.

Point taken. I'm considering a "hard use" rifle. Leaning towards 16" bbl intermediate gas, vLtor a5, triggertach duty, some free float hand guard. As you might have guessed I'm partial to money but I have plenty of experience with "it fell apart like a dollar watch." For what I'm willing to spend I could get a very nice factory gun but I'd like to learn and assemble my own.

Chrome lined 16" with intermediate gas aren't very common. Not a deal breaker.

As an aside, lots of companies are including a tensioning screw. None of my AR's have this. Some have play between the upper and lower and some don't. I'd prefer none, but for those who have been "thrifty" AND gone with a matched billet set, how much if any difference did you see and where? FWIW, I shoot either as bad or good as another with what i have, for now.
OOOOO "hard use"!! Are you a warfighter trying to put together your kit for the sandbox!!

----
Serious note:
Get one with a good barrel, the rest is just bragging rights. You can buy "Gucci" but you are paying for a rollmark. 16" isn't really going to be a marksman rifle so make it light, slap in a good trigger and go shoot the piss outta it. Guns with no scratches suck.

I'd get a cheap lower, slap my prefered stock on it, yank the trigger for my prefered and then buy the upper with the barrel I want. If I couldn't get the upper config I want, get the parts wherever assemble and go.

Here's a decent recipe for a "hard use" rifle

1695863882635.png

1695863952324.png

1695864207059.png

Make adjustments where you want to the stock or sights or whatever but you'd be the limiting factor on a rifle assembled with the above components and it'll likely stand up to anything you'll ever do to it.

The BCM list above is as good as any for an everyday multi-use, non-precision rifle & their CFH barrels are very good, but none in a 16" intermediate gas length...........in fact I don't know of any readily available AM, 16" chrome lined barrels in intermediate, several are available in SS.

But SOLGW has comparable stuff available.

And I like the Gen 2 AERO lowers & have used several; they generally lock of tight to most uppers as well.

But I would never compromise on any specific part that I wanted to use for the expediency of one-stop shopping, like barrels, uppers/lowers, triggers, BCG's, handguards, GB?AGB's/tubes, muzzle devices & stocks.

Primary Arms usually has a pretty full range of choices for most parts; not always exactly what I want for a specific build.

YMMV

MM

I was going to say Primary Arms as well, especially for modifications.

If I was going to get another “fighting rifle” and I just wanted a gun that would run I would just buy a BCM or SOLGW. Sons of Liberty Gun Works are great dudes and have an insanely awesome warranty. You can regularly get their rifles at Primary Arms on sale.

Thanks for all the replies. On a whim I checked out Rock River Arms. Prices are good, for now, and they've at least got everything to put together a complete rifle.
I was going to say Primary Arms as well, especially for modifications.

If I was going to get another “fighting rifle” and I just wanted a gun that would run I would just buy a BCM or SOLGW. Sons of Liberty Gun Works are great dudes and have an insanely awesome warranty. You can regularly get their rifles at Primary Arms on sale.
@Gustav7, I'm reading through your review on your PSA -10 adventure. Thanks.

Reactions: Gustav7
Thanks for all the replies. On a whim I checked out Rock River Arms. Prices are good, for now, and they've at least got everything to put together a complete rifle.

@Gustav7, I'm reading through your review on your PSA -10 adventure. Thanks.

Oh nice, hope you enjoy it. I just had my 2nd kid, so I have not had a chance to really update that, but I want to this winter. That PSA really surprises me, it just won't quit. It's been a serious shooter so far.

BCM (reliable mid budget)
PRI (decentish prices)
Aero Precision (budget but good)
Primary Arms (lots of companies/options)
Wilson Combat (actually super nice shit for what you pay)
Seekins (if in stock)
Centurian Arms (if in stock)
Forward Controls Design (if in stock...)
PSA (meh)
Brownells (never seem to have anything in stock when I need it)
Optics Planet/DVOR (weird shipping)
MEGA Arms/ZEV (budget and high end options)
JP Enterprises (somewhat pricy but good stuff)

Lots of great responses already. I just dropped in to say Primary Arms once again. I stopped buying from Brownell's because they own the First Amendment-hating website ar15.com, AKA arfcom. Any of you dudes who are also members over there know exactly how far that site has fallen since they were bought out by big corporate assholes.

Joe Bob Outfitters has also worked out well for me, but there is not a company on the planet that can beat Primary Arms on their customer service (shipping, returns, etc...)

I will say that Scott over at @LibertyOptics is a customer service juggernaut too, but he's only dealing in the optics world.

Primary Arms IS good. Probably get everything except the receiver set there.

I figured I might go the budget route on my 6.5 cm build. That ought to be good for a laugh.

One final question on the barrel for those who've done it: does the intermediate gas make that much of a difference? Which buffer weight should I go with using a rifle length tube and a spiring co green spring? Does that change if I go with a mid length? Price difference is about 120 between the intermediate and the mid length for comparable barrels from reputable makers.

Thanks

Primary Arms IS good. Probably get everything except the receiver set there.

I figured I might go the budget route on my 6.5 cm build. That ought to be good for a laugh.

One final question on the barrel for those who've done it: does the intermediate gas make that much of a difference? Which buffer weight should I go with using a rifle length tube and a spiring co green spring? Does that change if I go with a mid length? Price difference is about 120 between the intermediate and the mid length for comparable barrels from reputable makers.

Thanks
6.5cm is trickier than the already finicky 762 gas rifles. You are going to most likely need an AGB. Rifle is usually smoother. Anything above 16in should arguably be using rifle. Better dwell time etc.

Buffer weight and spring is going to vary and you may have to tune it.

My advice? Buy a complete 6.5cm upper from a reputable manufacturer to start with. Or at minimum get a barrel from a reputable manufacturer like JP who will also supply a matching bolt. It would arguably be easiest to just buy a baseline complete build from a maker and change/upgrade what you don't like as you go that way the rifle at minimum functions out of the box.

I say all this only because I haven't seen any hard spreadsheet on gas port sizing or buffer weights for a 6.5cm setup. Usually seems like everyone starts with an upper or complete gun all from one company and modifies it to suit them better. Bear in mind you also run into the usual compatibility issues with large frame ARs so getting most of the parts from 1 manufacturer is advisable.

But you could say get an Aero receiver set, a JP BCG and barrel, and then ask JP what they would recommend for a buffer/spring setup. Or the same from say Wilson Combat. Others here can probably attest better to BCG compatibility with the various makes. I've lost track of who fits who on large frames for BCGs. Aero is a good baseline on large frames without breaking the bank. Lot of barrels will fit from Compass Lake to Proof.

Last edited:
6.5cm is trickier than the already finicky 762 gas rifles. You are going to most likely need an AGB. Rifle is usually smoother. Anything above 16in should arguably be using rifle. Better dwell time etc.

Buffer weight and spring is going to vary and you may have to tune it.

My advice? Buy a complete 6.5cm upper from a reputable manufacturer to start with. Or at minimum get a barrel from a reputable manufacturer like JP who will also supply a matching bolt. It would arguably be easiest to just buy a baseline complete build from a maker and change/upgrade what you don't like as you go that way the rifle at minimum functions out of the box.

I say all this only because I haven't seen any hard spreadsheet on gas port sizing or buffer weights for a 6.5cm setup. Usually seems like everyone starts with an upper or complete gun all from one company and modifies it to suit them better. Bear in mind you also run into the usual compatibility issues with large frame ARs so getting most of the parts from 1 manufacturer is advisable.

But you could say get an Aero receiver set, a JP BCG and barrel, and then ask JP what they would recommend for a buffer/spring setup. Or the same from say Wilson Combat. Others here can probably attest better to BCG compatibility with the various makes. I've lost track of who fits who on large frames for BCGs. Aero is a good baseline on large frames without breaking the bank. Lot of barrels will fit from Compass Lake to Proof.
All very good advice. FWIW, I was trying to get a rise out of the peanut gallery with my "cheap out on the 6.5 build" comment. If there ever was a caliber to do that with, 6.5cm is probably NOT it. I'm not going to go as cheap as possible on this 223 build, either, but guns are like hot rods - the last little bit of performance costs a lot of money. If I can spend 250 and get a 1moa barrel or 450 for a half moa - right now, the extra 200 would be better spent on ammo and training time. For me, that is.

On the 6.5cm upper, I haven't found a huge difference in price between a complete gun and just the upper. Ex., Larue sells his 6.5 cm uppers for 2K, before tax and shipping. A quick GB search shows SP-10's for sale at 24-2800. For another $400 I can have an SP-10 vs. an upper? SP-10 all day. Same search for LAR-BT3 shows one at $1800. It ain't Seekins, but there's not a lot of hate for their gear, and their customer service is GTG. But Seekins has done some really cool things to the SP-10. Really cool.

More to follow, considering 16" with rifle gas for the 223.

Thanks for chiming in and helping

All very good advice. FWIW, I was trying to get a rise out of the peanut gallery with my "cheap out on the 6.5 build" comment. If there ever was a caliber to do that with, 6.5cm is probably NOT it. I'm not going to go as cheap as possible on this 223 build, either, but guns are like hot rods - the last little bit of performance costs a lot of money. If I can spend 250 and get a 1moa barrel or 450 for a half moa - right now, the extra 200 would be better spent on ammo and training time. For me, that is.

On the 6.5cm upper, I haven't found a huge difference in price between a complete gun and just the upper. Ex., Larue sells his 6.5 cm uppers for 2K, before tax and shipping. A quick GB search shows SP-10's for sale at 24-2800. For another $400 I can have an SP-10 vs. an upper? SP-10 all day. Same search for LAR-BT3 shows one at $1800. It ain't Seekins, but there's not a lot of hate for their gear, and their customer service is GTG. But Seekins has done some really cool things to the SP-10. Really cool.

More to follow, considering 16" with rifle gas for the 223.

Thanks for chiming in and helping
6.5cm Euro Optic

I noticed some of the SP10s on GB were being sold by Euro Optic. This one is the only one showing In Stock on their site. I was told if you give them a call and mention that you were recommended to them by Snipers Hide they may give you a discount.

You're darn right he does. Just like the batman light up in the sky, I can't stay away.
@TonyTheTiger you're as bad as the other enabler. I thought I was at the pinnacle of small arms technology with a carbine length M4 until you started posting your experiences in other threads. Longer component life, reduced split times, easier on brass - and the price is a little bit of thinking? I'll try it out. I measure my splits with a calendar right now so anything is an improvement.

On the fence between rifle and intermediate right now.

• Haha
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
@TonyTheTiger you're as bad as the other enabler. I thought I was at the pinnacle of small arms technology with a carbine length M4 until you started posting your experiences in other threads. Longer component life, reduced split times, easier on brass - and the price is a little bit of thinking? I'll try it out. I measure my splits with a calendar right now so anything is an improvement.

Obviously, don't mix-up mid length gas with intermediate. There's also around 4 different gas lengths sometimes called intermediate. The most common being the longest, which I call the Noveske intermediate.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
That depends somewhat on how aware you are of what work may need to be done to get a RLGS 16" barrel working perfectly. If you're comfortable testing, tuning and possibly troubleshooting I'd say go for it. Worst case scenario it's a learning experience.
If you have no interest in any of that an intermediate gas barrel will be plug and play with minimal headaches.

All things being equal, rifle gas will allow the use of the lightest recoil components; thing are not always equal though.

JMHO

MM