• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft only shoe goo for ghillie?

Re: only shoe goo for ghillie?

Post Mud Bath. Looks much better after the muddy water:

PostMudBath_zps9f40cd51.jpg

Thanks invincible. It definitely looks so much better now since taking your advice. Looking back, I cannot believe how puffy I had it. Much better now and I'm sure I'll thin it out more and more as time goes on.

Get looking suit. Can I ask where you got the jute from? Sorry I am a newbie here on the site. Thanks

Hey blkgld. Welcome to the site and thanks for the compliments. I got my died jute from ghillieclothing.com

You can also get it at walmart, but dont use ryt dye to dye it. Use Tac Con dye.

You know, I'm going to have a lot of down time in the future, I think it's time for a new suit for myself.

Definitely post up some pics. I am sure these gents will have plenty of advice. I'm new to the whole ghillie project so I'm not much assistance.

edited to add: Thanks for the compliments sir.

Last night I did some more trimming lol. I think I'm down to literally 1/3 of the jute that I started with lol. I gave it a mud bath after trimming as well to let it dread up and see if it was still to thick. It still has a little much, but not nearly as bad as before. There are now gaps forming, etc. and the suit should be much more breathable. I'll make sure to take pics after it dries.

Side question:
How do I add tie ons? Do you guys just tie some parachord onto the netting in spots to use....glue it....sew it....etc?

Thanks.

I Tie paracord to the netting and I also tie rubberbands on too.

Okay I have a bunch of parachord coming in the mail. In the mean time here's pics of the suit in it's current state. Like I said, this is about 1/3 of the original jute left.

CompletedSide_zps49d44ae6.jpg

CompletedRear_zps4dec4cae.jpg

CompletedFront_zps868c6d63.jpg

What say you Hide? Am I getting closer?

Gents,
How are you carrying water while hunting in your ghillie, etc.? Are you using hydration packs, canteens, just plain old water bottles in pockets.....

A camelback works pretty well. Run the tube down your sleeve if you don't want to lay on it.

+1 on the camelback. The suit looks good.
To the guys looking for jute, try Hobby Lobby or what ever craft store you have in your area, they have pre-dyed and natural jute. I bought about four yards of several different colors and natural then pulled it apart (don't like to waste any) what I didn't use I stored away for repairs and future projects.

Thank you for the kind words wmhutchison. I have a hydration carrier coming in the mail as we speak from BassPro so I should be good to go!

Bigwheels,
Just wrap and knot, no glue on the jute. When you pull it tight it won't come loose.

Talkinguns,
Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment. Make sure to post up some pics along the way. I love seeing progress threads.

I just finished getting the base layer of jute on the back of the top this evening. Now I need to get some green, & darker brown on there. I'll post a pic or two when I get it finished. Lot of work!!

Well the weather was nice today so I did some more trimming, wetted up the suit, and did some yard play with it. Here's some pics showing how it started and now for comparison:

Front Beginning:
0023_zps8cde4dfc.jpg

Front Presently:
CompletedFrontTrimAgain_zps06fab5ed.jpg

Rear Beginning:
0012_zpsd4a656c4.jpg

Rear Presently:
CompletedRearTrimAgain_zps30938f04.jpg

Did you put any additional material on wear points like elbows, knees and body of the jacket for when you are kneeling and crawling. I usually use a surplus deployment bag, basically cordura, or just more ripstop. Means more sewing though. On the body a couple of strips about 4-5 inches wide either side of the zipper or buttons from chest down. Again covering the stitching in shoe goo then removing the shine, you can also go round the edge with shoe goo. As said breaking in is then really important to make it look well used and not so fluffy. Lots of get it dirty, clean it off, repeat multiple times.

I just got the cordure for the skids, so I'll get started on that soon... And the pants, I still need to glue the netting, & start hanging the jute. Then I need to give it all a mud bath.

Knight6,
It has an extra layer of ripstop over the knees and elbows so I felt that was adequate. I didn't feel that extra padding or skids were necessary with the doubled up areas already there. I understand that the padding and skids do help with comfort when crawling etc. and that may be something I do in the future, but for now I'm happy with the way it is. This ghillie is really for me to find what I want in a suit and modify as I go. With more fieldcraft work with it this spring and summer I'll get some good experience and I'm sure I know what works for me and what doesn't.

Bigwheels,
Sounds awesome.

I have a question about the goo and/or super glue. They both have very strong vapors, the goo I'm sure dissipates quicker(but not totally) than the glue, but does either provide scent to an animal's strong sense of smell? I'm sure with the break-in it kills it even more, but has it been a concern to anyone?

Genin, good suit and a fantastic job!!! I to live in Bloomsburg so just kinda wondering what for hunting your going to use that suit for?

Hueyguy,
Hey there. Initially they all have a scent as they cure. With wear mine is no longer detectable to my nose. I'm sure in another month or so it will be non-detectable to the nose of animals as well. I don't think it's really anything to be concerned about.

PAGhillie,
What's up my local brother?! I should clarify, when I am actually hunting during hunting season, I will be wearing orange. I do not want to get shot by any stray bullets, have legal issues, blah blah blah. Even with private land, I'm sure there will be some hunters trespassing on occassion and I would like them to know I'm there.

That being said, the suit will be used for observation and preparation. I plan on using it to get better at fieldcraft but also to observe the local wildlife, document their movements, patterns, areas they frequent, etc. I should be able to set-up game plans then for hunting seasons to figure out exactly where I should be for good safe shots and have a solid game plan.

Yes the game wardens really frown on ghillies period in the Dumbsburg area. Best to keep that stuff to yourself.

My service days are long over ( 1986 til 2006 ) no need to call me "sir" . Lol

Getting around to make a new one soon, this will be my 7th one. Will post some pics along the way. But you really did a great job on yours . And don't call me Sir there , Young pup. Lol.

Hahahaha, ok no more sirs. This will be your 7th one!? Good Lord. This one suit took me forever and I'm still working on it.... I couldn't imagine doing 7. Maybe one suit every couple years. Thanks again for the compliments. I look forward to seeing your suit done up.

Yep,6 for a 20 year military career isn't to bad. Different countries, different ghillies,and I was all over the world . In the desert of Iraq your ghillie would stand out as bad as an oak leaf in South Korea.

Have a range set up on the family farm outside of town. Have ranges from 25 yards to 500+there.nice and private for me and a friend to use. No I don't go to the public ranges or the sportmans clubs in the area. I do enter there shoots from time to time,but some feel my training gives me an unfair advantage over the rest.

I've only done 3 so far and only 1 of them was truly a real work/drag session in the suit (it's freaking cold out so don't judge me). I am going to do about 3 more really wet, 2 or 3 hour mud bath drag sessions then I think it'll be broken in enough for some woods use.

I had the complete suit out yesterday with some changes to the arms. I forgot to add the manila , & raffia to the arms, & shoulders. After my buddy e mails the pics, I'll post them up. Now I need to mud it up again. I also re did the scope cover with some cordura backing, a elastic retainer for around the bell, & added a piece of netting painted khaki to cover the black hole. I think it made a huge difference.

Well, he finally e mailed the pics to me. But they are a different format than normal jpeg, so I haven't figured out how to get them uploaded. Now, I can see that I should have tied some veg on, but for where I want to use it should work well. Next time I'm out I'll get some pics from my own camera, so I can get them up here.