• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft only shoe goo for ghillie?

OK. I had to wash them through my droid first, but I got them up.
I set up only about 30 yds from him, & didn't "vegg" up. I also didn't concern myself with the back drop.
Ghilliesuit7.jpg

This is zoomed in more from the same position.
Ghilliesuit6.jpg

And zoomed in again.
Ghilliesuit5.jpg

I see now that I need something more to cover the base of my bi pod, & maybe a little more to cover the scope hole. I also removed some more burlap from the shoulders, & added more raffia, & manila to better match the rest of the suit.
I'm building this to match the "dry side" of the state, so I don't expect it to be perfect over here on the "wet side".
The rifle cover I made is a mirage band that I stitched a 2ft wide piece of burlap sack to, made a couple Velcro tie downs for the barrel, & shredded it to make it shaggy. Then I wove some colored burlap, manila, & raffia into it for contrast.(like the rest of the suit) Then made a left over piece of cordura into a cover for the front of the optic, with the same netting I used for the rest of the suit, "vegged" it, & tied a painted piece of netting to hang down over the objective. I have several paracord ties positioned around all of it to attach natural vegg, so I'm pretty sure if I spent the time to "vegg up" I would have been much harder to pick out.
For my 1st attempt I'm pleased. Maybe I can get a coyote, or bobcat to pee on me next time I'm out...

Damn good job! That blends awesome in my opinion. I can't wait to get some pics of me in the field with mine. I hope mine blends as well.

Thanks. I'd like to see yours out there as well. Next time I have it out I'll get a pic of me all vegged up with proper back drop, & see if anyone can find me.

So inspirational!! Once I move into the new house, i'm going to start one and retire the old one that is a pile of crap. Thanks for showing off!!

Ghillie suit should be at least 75% Veg, not a jute suit. In fact, just a base suit with net or other tie downs is better than these cumbersome walking-wookie suits. When it's 90 degrees out and you need to run, you will understand why. When you need to fire from sitting or standing, and you're spotted as the only mossy-thing on the hillside, you'll regret your tacticool airsoft suit and wish you had used the surrounding veg instead.

Thank you jhart2424!

I finally got out and about with a camera. I'm still working on fieldcraft and have not made any type of wrap etc for my rifle (tips are always welcome). I really need to work on getting that vegitation in there really solid. I'm finding it falls out etc. when moving about for periods of time. Here's some pics from earlier today.

I made a suit earlier this year. I have used it to hunt mt lions a few times (no sucess). It weighs about 7 lbs. It does not look too "poofy", but does that sound like it has too much jute? What should a typical ghillie weigh?

Ghille looks good man id still add alot more natural veg especially your head and shoulders make sure . Look at Camo Form protective wrap stuffs awesome and comes in a ton of camo patterns

Q-unit,
I have no clue what a ghillie should weigh. Maybe a mil or LEO will chime in on that.

TxScott88,
Thank you brother. I have added a lot of tie offs to the suit. It is more broken in now and I veg up way more than in those pics. It does get damn hot, but I survive thanks to a hydration pack lol. I'll have to try and get more pics soon.

Thanks for the reply Genin. I removed a bunch of burlap from mine too and I think it still blends pretty well. I think mine is less than 5lbs now.

Ghillie suit should be at least 75% Veg, not a jute suit. In fact, just a base suit with net or other tie downs is better than these cumbersome walking-wookie suits. When it's 90 degrees out and you need to run, you will understand why. When you need to fire from sitting or standing, and you're spotted as the only mossy-thing on the hillside, you'll regret your tacticool airsoft suit and wish you had used the surrounding veg instead.

When I first saw how guys in the Unit did their Ghillies, I wondered where all the jute was. Factors of camouflage:

SIZE
Shape
Color
Texture
Reflectivity
Contrast

We rarely used them in a Sniping role, other than Sniper Sustainment Training, but they do come in handy for point target recce or even static surveillance. If I do have to wear one, I just wear my vest over it, and incorporate some 3D camo to the back of my Camel Bak, so I have all the same load that I'm used to.
The traditional Sniper School Ghillie suit has very limited application in the real world, although it's nice in cold weather. My 2nd one has padding in the chest, which is great for lying on the ground in the cold for long periods of time...not so much in the summer.

I'll never use shoo goo on a Ghillie again because of the rot factor, as well as weight. A well-sewn camouflage system can deal with ruggedness better. Every one I've made since the 2nd one has been machine-sewn by me, to include several for buddies before they went to school.

Last edited:
When I first saw how guys in the Unit did their Ghillies, I wondered where all the jute was. Factors of camouflage:

SIZE
Shape
Color
Texture
Reflectivity
Contrast

We rarely used them in a Sniping role, other than Sniper Sustainment Training, but they do come in handy for point target recce or even static surveillance. If I do have to wear one, I just wear my vest over it, and incorporate some 3D camo to the back of my Camel Bak, so I have all the same load that I'm used to.
The traditional Sniper School Ghillie suit has very limited application in the real world, although it's nice in cold weather. My 2nd one has padding in the chest, which is great for lying on the ground in the cold for long periods of time...not so much in the summer.

I'll never use shoo goo on a Ghillie again because of the rot factor, as well as weight. A well-sewn camouflage system can deal with ruggedness better. Every one I've made since the 2nd one has been machine-sewn by me, to include several for buddies before they went to school.

Yep^

After my first suit shit the bed over seas, I purchased a quality 3d leafy suit, trimmed the majority of the leafy material off and stiched in vertical/horizontal lines of 550 cord to veg up. We were taught 70/30 (70 natural veg/30 jute) in school. Regardless, my second kit was light weight, breathable and extremely easy to pack.

We had a guy in Corps LRS make a very rugged mesh-based Ghillie Suit system that had several components. You could wear it over your PT's if you really wanted to. It had an artificial leaf system made from a decommissioned parachute, and the leaves looked real with a paint job he did on them.

It all packed into a very small stuff sack, so no Ghllie fartsack syndrome in your packing list. It also got rid of the typical Ghillie boonie face shadow that has been the ire of many a Sniper School student on stalking lanes violating the contrast, shape, and shadow principles.

http://sofrep.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Brandon-on-the-Gun-Desert-Sniper-Ops-630x413.jpg

Bro, I don't know if you tarped the front. I might have missed that. Go to a local Fire Department. They have old, very thick canvas "salvage covers". They can't use them anymore, so they might give one to you. I shoe goood the cover onto the front of mine for sniper school. It sure helped out with briars and sharp objects. One thing, some guys say "drag it down a dirt road. Nope. Get in it, get ugly, wet and dirty. You can always take a bath. Last thing, do something with the weapon too!

Cool stuff. Now I want to make one. I have long rifle training at my agency next year then the sniper training. I'm not sure I'm good with a sewing machine or sewing in general. This could be bad.

russ10x,
Hey thanks for the tips brother. I really do need to do something with the rifle hahaha. It's a work in progress still even though I've had it out and about a lot more. I tried doing a rifle wrap etc but it's bothersome. I need to figure something else out for it.

OUinLA,
thank you sir. Best of luck in your sniper training. Dude sewing sucks and is definitely a skill. I'm not very good at it, but it is valuable to know.

A Ghillie made on a uniform will weigh in around 6-8 lbs depending on the size and type of skid material used. Any more and you have WAY to much garnish on.

Propper is good, tru spec, all the usual suspects...Dont forget plain old surplus bdus/dcu's.

HAF,
honestly, I don't have any plans on adding any extra canvas to chest and legs. I've been using this for some coyote hunting (have been unsuccessful) and can tell you that this suit is just too darn hot as it is. I couldn't imagine anymore layers, even if it's just on the front. In the summer this suit is CRAZY hot to wear. That could be from the insane amount of jute I have on it though.

My actual plan is to take my time in the next couple months and make a much lighter, much more thought out, suit. I now know what I need and don't need and really got some amazing advice in this thread. My next suit is going to be vented, mesh, very lightweight, 550 cord set wide for netting, and almost no jute or burlap!

Well an update. I have learned a few things while using my ghillie for hunting. I realized that I needed something to break up my outline, but also wanted it to be streamlined. I wanted it to be light weight and breathable, have venting. I wanted it to be very easy to pack up and not take a lot of space so I could wear my regular camo and just throw it over if predator hunting and felt I needed extra concealment (or spring gobbler hahaha, those suckers are vicious and have good eyes). I wanted hood attached so I didn't have to worry about keeping track of an extra boonie etc. I wanted a cape style so the front didn't really cover my camo that I already use for the area I'm in.

I ended up watching a video on O'Neill Ops Youtube channel and he gave a great overview of his Cobra Hood from Tactical Concealment and I ended up purchasing a Cobra Hood from them ROID variant. I wanted the NYCO Ripstop in A-TACS FG since that just about matches my area perfectly 70% of the year. My wife was happy because that meant I wouldn't spend another 30+ hours making a suit.

Pics or it didn't happen right?

super compact when rolled up into the hood, which you can then cinch down with the adjustment cords

laid out, even in the deadest part of the year it still blends pretty darn well

Inside lighting example

inside lighting example 2

easy on and off buckles with adjustment and the sewing is top notch!

vented hood, sewn on, and the whole thing wide gride 550.

Needless to say, I'm super impressed with this Cobra Hood. I'm sorry that I don't have any pics of it on me yet or vegged up (I'll be using rubber bands for that). My buddies and I are waiting for this cold snap to break before we get back out for some predator hunting. I'll post up pics then.

Update:

Spoke via e-mail to brutus (http://www.libertytreetactical.com) and have shipped out my cobra hood for him to garnish up for me. I've looked at all of his pics on his site and am more than impressed with his skills. I'll make sure to update the thread after I receive the hood back all garnished up. I should have an extremely compact, great at concealing, hunting get up when I get it back.

Update:

I got my cobra hood back from libertytreetactical.com and it is looking badass. It's pouring up here and we still have about 6-8" of snow that needs to be melted so I took some hasty pics. I will take much better ones, including in the field, and do some reviewing when it gets a bit nicer out. Till then, enjoy;

The coverage is amazing. There is such amazing depth and coverage and the materials he chooses are perfect for my environment.

It appears to be a mixture of jute, burlap, raffia, and I'm sure something else I can't tell.

The cobra hood is wicked easy to pack. I just rolled it up and put it in my camo pack, boom. Done.

Three things to remember about a ghillie.
1. It's not magic...you must use LOCAL natural veg to make it work.
2. NOT fireproof... you will look like a candle if near flame.
3. Only as good as the person wearing it understands camo and how to move.