• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opening Day of Arizona’s Cowtown Long Range Shooting Club - 4-Oct

billpoole

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2010
Arizona
arizona-rifleshooting.com
Long Range Hunters and Shooters!

Are you interested in Long Range Hunting or Long Range Precision shooting? Looking for a place to practice long range shots with your hunting/long range gear but don’t have the interest, patience or barrel profile for an NRA style F-class match on a known-distance range?

With the support of the owners of Cowtown, AZ (http://azcowtown.com/) we are starting up a club which will give our members access to Cowtown Ranges in Peoria, just northwest of Phoenix!

This new club, Cowtown Long Range Shooters, Cowtown Long Range Shooters, will be holding a free Grand Opening shoot on Saturday October 4, 2014 - 8AM and till 4PM! The Grand Opening is FREE and open to all safe shooters!
• Bring your favorite long range rifles! We’ll have multiple firing points each with numerous steel plate targets from 100 yds to over 1000 yards! (all rifles must be previously sighted in, leave rifles in vehicles until you have been directed to your assigned range and squadded to shoot)
• Shooting industry vendors & manufacturers displays!
• Long range shooting platform demonstrations!
• Membership information for this new club!
• A chance to meet other shooters with similar interests!

If you like the shooting facilities and decide to join, you can expect to participate in monthly shoot days with access to firing points overlooking steel targets from under 100 yards to a planned 2000+ yards. The club also will be running 2 or 3 big weekend-long shoots every year.

For more information on the Grand Opening or on joining the club, see our website at Cowtown Long Range Shooters and email us at [email protected]. We’re already set up to take membership applications online at: (Grand Opening rate): ? EVENTS

If you plan to attend, send us an email at: [email protected]

If you are a certified Range Safety Officer or want to become one, we need you in our club! Let us know! [email protected].

If you are interested in a vendor booth and having your company represented at this grand opening or other events at Cowtown, please contact Cowtown management directly at: [email protected]

Download this flyer here http://cowtownlrs.com/CTLRS-4oct-Flyer.pdf print a few copies and drop them off with your friends and at your favorite gun shop!

Hope to see many of you on the 4th!

CTLRS - Cowtown Long Range Shooters
Post questions here or email [email protected] .

Range Location:
10402 West Old Carefree Highway, Peoria, Arizona 85383
Map (northwest phoenix area): http://cowtownlrs.com/cowtown-map2.gif
Take Carefree Hwy west from I-17, south 100yds on Lake Pleasant Blvd, then west on Old Carefree Hwy, past the airstrip and 2 canals till you hit the mountains at Cowtown.

This is a shooting range! Bring eye and ear protection for everyone in your party! Under 18 must be accompanied by an adult, experienced adult & youth shooters welcome, event may not be enjoyable for very young children.

Don't want to mess around setting up paper targets? We have lots of steel like this:
steel-1.jpg

That canyon has 8 or 10 steel targets out to 1000 yards
cowtownLRS-01.jpg

Not yet. It's far from gilbert so I want to check it out first.

I wish it was more of a grand opening weekend. I can't go out this Saturday but I would love to get out there Sunday.

Last edited:
Not yet. It's far from gilbert so I want to check it out first.
It's only about 15 minutes away, the thing that's bothering me is its $30 per visit or a $200 membership fee with an $75 renewal. I'll have to at least go once, it'd be nice if the damn guest fee was cheaper with a paid membership. Hard to convince some of my buddies to get into LR if it's so spendy.

Last edited:
Wow, those are steep prices!!!! Good luck with it.
Well I owe it to these guys and myself to go "before" I judge too harshly, but I'm kind of on the fence. Maybe it'll be awesome but I did a private shoot with POF a few years back at this sight and I'm hoping they really added a lot of stuff.

It's only about 15 minutes away, the thing that's bothering me is its $30 per visit or a $200 membership fee with an $75 renewal. I'll have to at least go once, it'd be nice if the damn guest fee was cheaper with a paid membership. Hard to convince some of my buddies to get into LR if it's so spendy.

Ok I just looked at their website and I'm alittle confused.

The way I read it was you have to buy a membership for $200 and then each day you show up is another $30 bucks? This is listed under the "membership privileges" section. What is the cost for a non member to shoot for a day?

$30 from what I interpreted. If I'm a "member" paying per visit that would be criminally insane.

From what I've been told, you can't shoot at all unless you are a member or with a member and it's $30 a trip as a member, $50 iirc for your guest.

I'm at least going to check it out,
shot there before, nice facilities.
I don't think the $30.00 a session is even remotely inline though

I'm expecting Saturday to be a gaggle I'll hopefully get to see it Sunday. Assuming they're open.

I've been there for a class and if it's seriously 30 dollars a day AFTER a membership fee, wow. I think it might be that way specifically to ensure a lot of people don't participate though. When I was there it really didn't look like it was made to hold the 'public' sort of speak. Small firing position areas and different areas kinda have to coordinate with each other I think.

On paper the range there seems world class, in real life it was a bit underwhelming. Maybe they have done some serious renovation since a few months back though. Maybe I didn't even see it all, so I will be looking forward to hearing people's actual reviews.

Anyways, if it was a membership fee and maybe something like $5 a visit, I would consider it. Otherwise, plenty of free land all around, so I will personally probably pass.

I would have totally gone to this intro if it was any other week but this one! Uncles coming to town and unfortunately can't. Let us all know how it goes.

Last edited:
I've shot at GPS's shooting position at Cowtown
This will be a new position that shouldn't interfere with their other vendors

I've had to cancel the trip to the Vegas match this weekend, so if I can find a moment, I'll try to get to the thing at Cowtown.

I agree that having an annual membership fee _plus_ high per-visit fees is a deal-breaker, but it would be nice for some of us to see the place.

I think you're right. They're trying to keep the riffraff out.

They could have probably done this just by making it members only. Paying $30 bucks a day as a member seems way too steep. I don't think the long range community in AZ is so big they need to try to keep the numbers down THAT much.

Whoever is rolling to this grand opening tomorrow please report back, going to head to Ben Avery tomorrow.

This notice just sent out:

Shooters!

To everyone who has inquired about Cowtown Long Range Shooters!

In about 11 hours our grand opening begins!

Enter Cowtown (map at Cowtown Long Range Shooters ) and after paintball turn right and head towards the "east range", find somewhere to park and head down to the covered picnic area at the end to sign in.

EVERYONE MUST SIGN IN READ THE SAFETY RULES AND SIGN THE WAIVER!

From there, right up the hill we have the east range platform looking out at lots of steel from 100 to 1000+ yards.

Once we get a range safety officer to open the gate, we'll also open up what we call platforms 2 and 3 on the "west range". Lots of steel visible from the two platforms, we have "don't shoot" regions roped off to keep a safety fan.

Limited parking up there, but limited shooting spots too, so it should work out.

Bring your Ear & Eye protection, (we'll have some if someone forgets), whatever water or food you need, but we'll have a cooler full of water. We will have NRA style Empty Chamber Indicators for your rifles if you don't have one, all rifles will be cased or ECI inserted except when shooting!

Bring your rifle(s), ammo, shooting mat, rangefinder and similar gear, all you get from us is dirt to lay on and steel to shoot at! (and lots of each!)

(Don't shoot the cactus, the burros or the yellow house!)

If any of you are a Range Safety Officer interested in doing that regularly for the club, let us know when you sign in!

We'll be ready before the 8AM start and stay into the afternoon as long as interest holds till 4PM.

Vendors, who have signed in with Cowtown management can set up in Bay 6 before 8.

See you all tomorrow!

CTLRS!

Yep i was there shooting from 8am till noon. I enjoyed it. Steel strategically placed from 100 yds to 1,100 yards with 3 separate shooting platforms. There was probably around 20 to 25 steel targets or so. Was getting a bit crowded around the time i left. Yeah its not the cheapest but would be damn hard to go set something like that up yourself in the desert. It was a very convenient way to stretch your rifles legs. I hope the membership numbers stay lean because too large a crowd and long waits would be my biggest gripe as opposed to the price of entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went. Took the family. Wife took one look at the miniature dump that seems to constitute a parking area just beyond the gate, and turned up her nose. So, I didn't do any shooting. I'm sure it's a good venue for a small number of people.