• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on a scope

shoootingaz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Arizona
I know this has been asked a million times. I have read other post about it but still having issues making a decision. I am wanting to keep the scope around 1000 or less, but I do have wiggle room if I need it. I have been looking at the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP which I can get for less than 900. Some other Bushnell Elite Tac 6-24x50 FFP for about the same price but has the bullet proof warranty. Zeiss Conquest can had for less but that is SFP. What do you guys recommend for your experiences. I have been to the store to look through them but they all look clear and about the same indoors at a short distance from scope counter to wall. From what I have been reading FFP with Mil/ Mil is what I should be looking for. I want something that is equally as clear closer up as it is on the big end of magnification. It will be mounted on a Remington 700 .308. 95% of the time will be at the range with 100 - 1000+ yards. I know I am missing other brands that I might not know about but I do know I don't want to spend in the 2k+ range to get a scope that I will never take advantage of. Thank you in advance

If you could spend a little more than $1000 I would highly recommend any NightForce NXS scope. I don't know how much you shoot or how you treat your rifle. I know the NXS scopes can take a beating. I refer to them as the Toyota Tacoma of rifle scopes. They'll take a beating and still maintain accuracy at 1000+ yds. You can easily get a 5.5X22X56 or a 3.5X15X56. I know the other brands are not as expensive but if they don't offer a lifetime warranty I wouldn't get one. I have no experience with Vortex (Make sure they have a warranty). It's hard to pay big $$ for a scope but I think you get what you pay for. Keep an eye on the for sale stuff on SH. Also watch gunbroker, I know their prices are crazy but occasionally a good buy it now comes along.

I got a Vortex Viper about a month ago and I like it. I've used it out just shy of a 1000 back in to 100 and it worked great. I used it to get a fourth place finish in a match at fort Gordon this past weekend. Can't beat the unconditional lifetime warranty.

When you pay for quality, you only cry once. I'm not diss'n Vortex or Bushnell, but if you spend a little more you can get a used Nightforce or Leupold and then mount it in a removable mount like a LaRue.

That way you can use it on several rifles, which will save you the money in the long run. And, if you only have one rifle and think you're not gunna have more... don't fool yourself, we all buy more!

If you could spend a little more than $1000 I would highly recommend any NightForce NXS scope. I don't know how much you shoot or how you treat your rifle. I know the NXS scopes can take a beating. I refer to them as the Toyota Tacoma of rifle scopes. They'll take a beating and still maintain accuracy at 1000+ yds. You can easily get a 5.5X22X56 or a 3.5X15X56. I know the other brands are not as expensive but if they don't offer a lifetime warranty I wouldn't get one. I have no experience with Vortex (Make sure they have a warranty). It's hard to pay big $$ for a scope but I think you get what you pay for. Keep an eye on the for sale stuff on SH. Also watch gunbroker, I know their prices are crazy but occasionally a good buy it now comes along.

Both Vortex and Bushnell Elite offer a lifetime warranty.
For "a little over a grand" the choice is easy, Bushnell DMR.

I just bought a used one here in the classifieds for $875, and it's like new, but with a mil-dot reticle, thus the great price.
I got it for my friend, who remarked when he first shot it at the range, "holy @*&$ing $&*$ this thing is great".

Joe

Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMOA will fill the bill......I have one on a custom 300RUM and the scope works perfect. It is a SFP scope but if you are shooting at targets and things that are not shooting back ( game ) SFP may really be what you need.

Last edited:
That's good info! Sounds like a good scope to me, I'm gonna hafta do some research. Might even try a Vortex out, I keep hearing good stuff about them.