• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on AW mag holsters

BLKWLFK9

Just F'n Send It Podcast
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    So, im updating my gun belt. Getting a Ronin Tactics Shūto belt, Armageddon dump pouch, and I want some different AW mag holsters. I've got a short action customs and a Walsh customs but I'm honestly not in love with either. Thinking about getting the g-code holsters and putting foam in the bottom to accommodate the shorter AW mags. Anybody have suggestions that I'm not seeing or know of a "g-code" like holster specifically for AW mags?

Reactions: kindabitey
    I really like using an Esstac Kywi with a similar spacer in the bottom, or carrying the mag rotated 90*.`

I have the GCode Assaulters system and I would not recommend the Scorpion mag carriers for AW/AX mags. It works well with AICS mags or MDT single stack mags.

I run the Tab Gear Magazine Pouch and cinch down the cord some for AX/AW mags.

I really like using an Esstac Kywi with a similar spacer in the bottom, or carrying the mag rotated 90*.`

Are the mags snug fitting to where they won't fall out? Those look very fixed sized. I don't have a 7.62 AR10 mag to compare to an AW mag.

45E0DD12-B9A1-459D-8774-AD17E8FB4BB7.jpeg
    78CA5E6E-8C7B-4830-9E9B-703FF88792E5.jpeg
    I’ve been using the Kydex AW mags from Big Dog Steel for probably 8-10 years now and they are the best for AW mags. Solid retention but quick to get to and re-holster the mag as needed. The Tek Lok clip they use for belt retention is second to none.

I’ve been a fan of these, been running them for years

Are the mags snug fitting to where they won't fall out? Those look very fixed sized. I don't have a 7.62 AR10 mag to compare to an AW mag.
    They retain very well. The way they're setup is a fabric exterior with velcro lining. There's a kydex insert with velcro backing that applies pressure on the mag for retention. You can use a heat gun and adjust the kydex's purchase and pressure on the inserted mag.

For reference:

kywi.jpg

Reactions: lash and BLKWLFK9
    They retain very well. The way they're setup is a fabric exterior with velcro lining. There's a kydex insert with velcro backing that applies pressure on the mag for retention. You can use a heat gun and adjust the kydex's purchase and pressure on the inserted mag.

For reference:
    U think the shorty would work better for an AW mag?

Thanks @rothgyr . Ordered 2 along with their skittles dump pouch. It was going to be between these and the tab gears. I like mag retention without the use of a bungee but would've bought the tabs anyway. Good lookin out fellas. Thanks for the input. There just isn't the same amount of options for AW mags as there is for aics.

I prefer the TAB gear soft mag pouches. They are adjustable and the bungee retention is nice to have versus a flap.

Last edited:
    Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    ??

I think u posted in the wrong thread, perhaps

Reactions: lash
    A little late but Bob at frontline (big RO on 2 days, usually on 1000yrd deck). Make some nice kydex holders that have worked for my AW, every aics style mag and vudoo mags. You can get them with a bunch of different mounting gear. I've been running 2 of his carriers for a couple years now.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    You guys don't just stick your mags in your back pockets?? ...

The finest kydex in Australia, shipping isn't unreasonable.

The kestrel one is the same as the mags, replaced my other kestrel pouch.

The click feature of the mag is really helpful for better retention.

Ended up getting the Walsh custom kestrel holder bc it has the option of a tek lok clip. I don't think that's an option for the SAC kestrel holder.

Reactions: lash