• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on HD Binoculars in the ~ $600 range

Blueknight99

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2019
I was looking at some lower cost binoculars for my upcoming hunting trips. Made a trip to the Cabelas and checked out the Vortex Viper HD 8x42 and 10x42 Binoculars (bother under $600), the 8x42 was really nice with good glass and clarity in low light.

Looking for some recommendations before I swing for one. What are your opinions on the best ones out there in this price range. After I have seen through the Viper HD 8x42 don't want a glass quality or clarity lower than that (that is the lowest benchmark). Also, for my purposes, I wouldn't look past maybe 400-500 yards, having a wide (er) FOV is a preference.

I have the older Vortex Viper HD 8 x 42 and just purchased a second set of the new gen Vortex Viper HD 8 x 42. Weight is dang near the same on both. The new gen has a wider FOV and seems to be a bit better at light gathering at dusk plus was a little cheaper than the old Viper HD 8 x42, The older set seems more comfortable to my eyes and less fatiguing (subjective I know). I used the newer set last weekend on a mule hunt here in AZ and let my kid use my older set. Both worked well for that and I find after going back and forth between them I like the newer set due to wider FOV. My hunting partner had the Sig 3000 LRF binos 10x so we compared and the glass was very close between them.

I also have heard well about Meopta binos. Doug at CamerlandNY is an excellent resource. I just chimed in to let you know if you are looking at the Vortex HD vipers get the newer version since FOV is a preference. My personal preference is 8 x for scanning and hunting as 10x can be a little shaky but doable. Anything over that like 12x and above needs to stabilized on tripod or tree branch for me.

Cabela’s instinct binos made by Meopta are amazing. Next best thing to swaros.

I had a set of the older Steiner predator binos. I was very pleased with them. I have heard the newest models don’t have as good of glass but you can find the older ones used for around 250-300 dollars. They were better than the vortex viper binos I had used in the past. I never got a chance to compare them to a set of razors side by side though.

I ended up going the swaro route. That being said, just for kicks, i am going to get a pair of 8x45 weaver binos. I just gotta know....cause they look as though they would be something worth looking at.

@myronman3 - I don't think there are 8x45 Weaver Binos. I checked their website and the closest I could find were the 8x42 (not 45 objective lens) Weaver Kaspa Binos @ $128.95 listed price. Never heard of Weaver Binos before, how is there quality?

Can’t say...i havent finger-banged or eye-fucked these.....yet. But i have a super slam scope, and i am kinda pissed i didnt buy a few more of them when they were in production. It is my favorite hunting scope. I expect these binos would be more of the same. Might be a tad bulky.....i settled on swaro 8x32 ELs. I will be getting a pair of these at some point here in the next 6 months.

Can’t say...i havent finger-banged or eye-fucked these.....yet. But i have a super slam scope, and i am kinda pissed i didnt buy a few more of them when they were in production. It is my favorite hunting scope. I expect these binos would be more of the same. Might be a tad bulky.....i settled on swaro 8x32 ELs. I will be getting a pair of these at some point here in the next 6 months.

Anyone know how these (the Weaver 8.5x45 Super Slams) compare to the Vortex 8x42 Viper HDs?? Very unlikely but trying to ask someone who might have tried both. Also, the do the weavers have a low-dispersion glass and good coatings like the Viper HDs? I am on the fence if I should get these in addition to whatever I want ;)

The Meopta Meopros are excellent as are the Athlon Cronus. We even have a Demo Leica Trinovid HD 8x42 on sale for only $649.99 which would be a great option. If you have a few minutes please give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what might be best for you
Doug

Thanks Doug. Not a fan of the Leica Trinovid HDs. Although I will give you a call on Monday to discuss some other options. Btw...just got the Swaro 2.5-15x56 scope that I got from you installed. Its an excellent scope :)

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I went with a $300 set of Meopta Optika 10x42 from Doug a couple months back. I’m pleased with them overall. The specs on the 8x42 Optika look great, might be worth asking Doug for his opinion on them since I haven’t looked through them.

I still want a set of Razor binos. I can’t justify the cost.

Go for the Bushnell legend M binos. ED glass, dielectric coated lenses, magnesium frame. One of the best binos I have for the money. I got a good deal on them 2 years ago on ebay for $150. They are as good as other higher priced binos I've looked through

There seems to be some chatter about the Tract optics too. They advertise themselves as a direct to consumer brand. Anyone tried their binos yet? I know a few magazine reviewers use their rifle scopes but no idea about their binos. They advertise as using Schott glass on their optics.

Anyone know how these (the Weaver 8.5x45 Super Slams) compare to the Vortex 8x42 Viper HDs?? Very unlikely but trying to ask someone who might have tried both. Also, the do the weavers have a low-dispersion glass and good coatings like the Viper HDs? I am on the fence if I should get these in addition to whatever I want ;)
The weaver binos you are looking at have fully mulit coated lenses, magnesium frame and Bak 4 prisms. Nothing in the description mentions if the prisms are dielectric coated, Silver coated or aluminum coated. These prisms are more than likely silver coated which is second best. Look for prisms that are dielectric coated for brighter image quality.

Went with the Zeiss HD 10x42's a few years ago. You can find them in your price range. I spend a lot of time behind my binoculars hunting. They're incredible for the money. Feel good in the hand, clear as hell, and zero eye fatigue.

I'd put them up against a lot of glass and they more than hold their own. Look through a pair for yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

41c1e7c0-2bf7-0130-8850-20cf30bab63e__85876.1561100621.jpg

Reactions: Wyzrd and Kbh
Another new to market binocular that just showed up last week is the Kowa BDII series. Great glass, wider FOV that others in similar size and very impressive optically. In the under $500.00 price range these are a home run.
They also did something most other brands are not doing. They are offering a Kowa BD II 6.5x32mm Wide Angle Binocular, a size that's great for everyday use

I got a pair of Meopta Meostar from Doug a few months back and they are the way to go. At first I was afraid I was under cutting my self for not getting the SLC's but after using them I am happy with my purchase. Everybody know the old saying, buy once cry once, well with these Meopta I was able to get great glass at a price that didn't hurt as much. When I am ready for a new spotter Doug will be my first call.

I have tested Gosky 10x42 HD, they are mostly used for bird watching but I was trying to find the Milky Way. And the Gisky perfromed really well as an astronomy binocular.
Has lens covers for both ends and nice case to store them in. Also has nicely padded neck strap. Comes with attachment to use phone to take picture. Havent tried that though.

Reactions: Davo308
Midway has the Leupold bx-4 on sale right now. I own these for hunting and there extremely nice binos super clear and focus very well

I got the vortex viper 10x52 or something like that for 599$ and they are crystal clear

I don’t know how much you’ll be on the glass, but you may want to look at a Canon IS. At that price you’ll be looking at a used pair. Using the IS makes glassing real easy, you won’t need a tripod and your eyes won’t get nearly as tired at the end of a day.

I am looking for somthing in the discussed ball park .. for trip I have comming up to Yellowstone. I was set on the viper 10x42 after trying them at local cabellas . they seemed brighter than the lupold bx4 and about the same brightness as the zeiss tera HD. But I can't seem to find the Vortex in stock at the "mil discount " price. lol.

Look at the Ares 10x42 Binocular which we have on sale for only $299.99

• ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

The Meopta Meopros are excellent as are the Athlon Cronus. We even have a Demo Leica Trinovid HD 8x42 on sale for only $649.99 which would be a great option. If you have a few minutes please give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what might be best for you
Doug

I have the 8.5 athlon cronus and they are very very nice for the price. I think doug has them on sale too.

I have the 8.5 athlon cronus and they are very very nice for the price. I think doug has them on sale too.
We do still have inventory of the Athlon Cronus 8.5x42 Binocular on sale for only $319.99, reduced from $489.99

• E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other
  • ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

Reactions: Wyzrd
I would get a used Razor HD or maven for that price off a hunting forum.

Cabela’s instinct binos made by Meopta are amazing. Next best thing to swaros.
Also known as the Meopta MeoStars. Top tip, if you know a Cabelas or Bass Pro employee, they are 45% off with the employee discount because they are Cabelas branded items.

The Ares are a close 2nd but not quite as good. The Ares would be equal to, or slightly superior to a Vortex Viper HD
@gr8fuldoug

How would the Kowa BDII- XD compare with these and the Meopta Optika ? The viper is the one i can get my hands on in a store and use as my benchmark lol I want something as good if not better for the price.

Hopefully I am not hijacking on this thread (apologies if I am) but @gr8fuldoug, in this price range, would you recommend Kowa or Steiner?

What is wrong with EBay as far as buying goes?

It seems harder to find a "deal" than it used to be. just a bunch of small businesses trying to sell there stuff for MAP and on the few auctions there are just to get bid sniped buy a bot with less than a second left lol. for all of that I would rather just get new from a supporting vendor here ..

but for all my bitching about ebay I just sold some older computer parts for more than i thought they whree worth lol

but back on topic.. I did get a set of Kowa BD II 10x42 from @gr8fuldoug last week. Quick question I thought they where made in Japan? but saw a made in China lable on them ?

It seems harder to find a "deal" than it used to be. just a bunch of small businesses trying to sell there stuff for MAP and on the few auctions there are just to get bid sniped buy a bot with less than a second left lol. for all of that I would rather just get new from a supporting vendor here ..

but for all my bitching about ebay I just sold some older computer parts for more than i thought they whree worth lol

but back on topic.. I did get a set of Kowa BD II 10x42 from @gr8fuldoug last week. Quick question I thought they where made in Japan? but saw a made in China lable on them ?

I agree on new items but I have had excellent experience on used items.

I have vortex diamondback 12x50 hd binos and athlon Midas 12x50 ED binos. I love them both but the vortex are my go to binos.

I know it's an older thread but I actually have a set of these weavers! I have many binoculars and these weavers are very good. They blow away my athlon midas (which has same optics as athlon ares but different body), they are better than my Carson HD (that's another high value binocular). The image is very similar to my leica trinovid (2012-2015). The only issue is they are sensitive to eye placement, if you are not perfectly aligned you will notice barreling. They are made in Japan, I would say they are a great buy if you can find them. Very bright image, does great in low light.

I still think the conquest HD's are the best Binos I have looked through under $1K. They punch WAY above their weight class and I would save a bit more. Binos are a buy once cry once thing. If you can afford $600 you can afford $900. They are worth it.