• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on high-end bipods besides the Atlas

Ghillie Zen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
The Black Lodge
ok, before i get flamed for this, i just want to say that i recognize that the atlas is the diggity bomb of bipods. i've seen it, handled it and was impressed. however, there are two other bipod designs that have my attention as well.

the bipod will be mounted on an ar setup and will be used for prone firing and hunting. will need to hold up to field abuse.

the first consideration is tango down's advanced combat bipod. i really like how compact and low profile it seems to be. it looks sturdy and i like how tightly the legs fold. the ability to fold forward or back like the atlas is nice too.

the second is the gg&g extreme duty bipod. this looks to be a smart design and pretty rugged.

it would be greatly appreciated if i could get detailed feedback on either models. i don't want to hear why the atlas is better. just want to get input on the following points of the bipods in question:

* how's the quality? does it hold up to abuse?

* how easy is it to deploy? is the deployment quiet?

* weight

* how sturdy is it when folded? deployed? any slop?

* can the cant be locked in or tightened when needed?

* ease of leg adjustment

* pan

* mounts, any issues? easy to take on and off?

all legitimate feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Re: Other high-end bipods besides the Atlas

I sold my atlas for GGG bipods. They don't pan, but I don't care. They don't wobble at all. Its the most solid bipod on the market.

I am never concerned about my GG&G breaking and I can say I've done some bad things. The lockup is 100% tight in every dimension. This allows me fast follow up shots because my bipod isn't a variable anymore. It's always going to be the same after recoil.

I didn't realize the GG&G doesn't pan. That would be a deal breaker for me. Smooth panning can be a make or break deal on moving targets. Even if you "ambush" the target you can't have the legs dragging and hopping before you get the ambush setup.

"i don't want to hear why the atlas is better."

Fine!

LOL, I understand what you are wanting here and I'll look forward to reading the responses on this thread. I handled an early Tango Down and loved the sleekness of it, never touched a GG&G, seen it in pictures and I know they make solid gear.

I'll keep the rest of my observations to myself, but please keep in mind that we designed the Atlas to meet some guidelines set by a government organization AFTER those two designs came out.

Mr.M14, if you don't mind telling me, was the Atlas you had a V7 (pull leg design)?

It was. I could have mounted it to a solid surface and written my name 2 inches tall with the play in it. It was still one of the top bipods out there feature wise.

What won me over to the GGG bipod was a rapid fire drill at 700m. I realized that I could take my Noveske and using the right hold shoot a 8" plate almost as fast as I could pull the trigger - and it wasn't possible with a bipod that moved in any way. We tried it with a harris/larue.

Do you have a new version that is more angry about moving?

Thanks for the reply and candor and it sounds like the GG&G has answered your needs. The V8 has a much more positive leg locking via push button system so we could tighten the legs up a ton.

Kasey, nothin but love for the atlas. Just like to explore my options, that's all.

Have no doubt that an Atlas will eventually be in my future.

Much respect!