• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on improvised .308 / 7.62 NATO loads

Angstrom

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2011
Texas
I wanted to see what some of the more experienced folks thought about my idea of disassembling some 7.62 x 54R that I have for a Nagant and loading the projectiles into new .308 brass.

I'm new to reloading (haven't actually loaded one bullet yet, just got my kit) so I would appreciate any comments.

I have a specific reason why I would want to do such a thing, but until I hear back from the BATFE I don't want to say what that reason is.

So, for now, it would be nice if you could keep the "why would you do that?" comments to yourself.

I just need to know if it can be done. i.e. what is the greatest difference in diameter you would think would be safe to shoot? ect....

Thanks in advance to all serious responses.

btw, I understand a lot of guys "mic" their barrels by pushing lead rounds down the tube and measuring the lead pellet when it drops out the end, but I don't really know what the standard tolerance is for "this bullet is too small (or too large) for this gun!"

Re: Opinions on improvised .308 / 7.62 NATO loads

You'll be pushing a .311 bullet down a .308 barrel. It's called slugging a barrel. I'd suggest you do some research before you hurt yourself or someone else.

You got a free pass on "why would you do that?" ths time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angstrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wanted to see what some of the more experienced folks thought about my idea of disassembling some 7.62 x 54R that I have for a Nagant and loading the projectiles into new .308 brass.

I'm new to reloading (haven't actually loaded one bullet yet, just got my kit) so I would appreciate any comments.

I have a specific reason why I would want to do such a thing, but until I hear back from the BATFE I don't want to say what that reason is.

So, for now, it would be nice if you could keep the "why would you do that?" comments to yourself.

I just need to know if it can be done. i.e. what is the greatest difference in diameter you would think would be safe to shoot? ect....

Thanks in advance to all serious responses.

btw, I understand a lot of guys "mic" their barrels by pushing lead rounds down the tube and measuring the lead pellet when it drops out the end, but I don't really know what the standard tolerance is for "this bullet is too small (or too large) for this gun!" </div></div>

Pick up the latest and greatest Hornady reloading manual. Then familarize yourself between the difference in a .308 and .310 bullet. Lastly do not load a .308 diameter bullet in a 7.62x54 cartridge.

Just my opinion, you do what you want.

WTF don't do that, if you want plinker 308 bullets try goldenwestbrass, brassmanbrass, I think they have factory new 147-150 grainers for not a lot of money.

See, I was afraid the truth would be something along these lines, that's why I asked.

Sometimes its just easier to post a question to a good forum than start reading yet another book (college is kicking my ass right about now) even though I will read my included loading manual before I actually build a cartridge.

I don't want folks to think that they had to save me from being a contestant in the Darwin Awards, although now that I look back on my original post in light of what others have said I'm sure it must have really looked like that to some of you. And I sincerely appreciate the concern!! I really do.

I just wanted to borrow some knowledge to see if it was something I should take some time to look into.
When I was first writing my post, I was thinking "If this is doable, why the hell haven't I heard of it yet?"

Again, thanks to all of my thoughtful responders and especially the one that let me off the hook this time
laugh.gif

IMO you might not want to stop with JUST reading the load manual thats comes with your so called "kit". You sound like you have aspirations and dreams of doing things thats seasoned reloaders dont consider. Like you said if you have never loaded a round and you can think of something like this.....I CAN PROMISE YOU SOMEONE ON HERE HAS OR HAS HEARD it asked by another. Just ease your way into reloading there is already enough dangerous info on this site with people putting there HOTTEST and MOST ACCURATE .308 load out for any commoner to go out and try! STICK with starting loads i can promise you some of them are accurate too.

Yes. Thank you. I've calmed down now and I am pretty embarrassed to realize, "wow, I still don't know shit about this reloading stuff" (even the most basic info).

I like the way you put your point across. I just need to read up and try not to remove the right side of my face for lack of patience.

I imagine one day I will be in your shoes reading about some young-un who apparently has a death wish and just sigh.

Hopefully I'll look back on posts like this (my original question) and just laugh, but until then, I'm feelin pretty bashful.
blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got a free pass on "why would you do that?" ths time. </div></div>

I guess this came over more heavy than humerous. It's better to ask than try something that could be dangerous. Also good advice on max and over-max loads being posted.

if your planning on using some of the old AP or incenadary bullets you could still be deamed "constructing" the ammunition. but if you were to do it I would buy a bullet sizing die from lee for .308 diameter and load accordingly. I really wouldn't try loading with the powder they came with unless you knew exactly what burn speed it is.

Well, since some other members pointed out that I would be trying to push a .311 projectile down a .308 bore, its really a moot point now...

That and the fact that an AP bullet has a hardened steel or tungsten core directly beneath the jacket, really makes it a bad idea. If that was your intention, there are .308 AP and incendary bullets out there. Verify directly with BATF before proceeding. Don't ever take legal advise off the internet. Contact the appropriate agency or a lawyer with the question. No one on a forum is going to do the bid for you if you get jambed up.

Well, like I said in my original post, I did contact the appropriate agency (you have to write them a letter on paper and send it to them for all legal questions).
They still haven't gotten back to me and its been months, so they probably won't unless I start calling them.
I had a short-lived fascination with AP a while back, but I'm getting to the point where I really don't care much about it anymore. I was just messing around in the shop the other day and fondling some ammo, (yes, I still do that, it helps me think) and the idea popped into my head, so I thought I'd put out some antennae here to see what I would get.

Send them another letter and also check with state and local laws as well. Problem with a simple phone call vs receiving a written reply is that if the person answering the call isn't an agent and gives you the wrong info, you have no proof as to what you were told if you get into trouble down the road. A friend let his FFL expire by just a few days. He calls the local office and they say no problem , it can be renewed. So when he calls the main office, he's told completely the opposite. He's told you have nothing to renew at this point. Get it in writing...