• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on Leupold VX-3i LRP?

Lange Carabine

Jesucristo es el Senor
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Not of this world
To make a long story short I have one coming as a warranty replacement for a problematic Mk.4.
How do they stack up against other brands in this price range?
Not sure I'dve bought one outright, but it was either the VX-3 or keep the Mk.4 lemon and deal with it.

They're ok, what are they sending you? I had a FFP 6.5-20 LRP with the CCH reticle for a while and it was a pretty good scope overall. It tracked well, the zero stop was simple to reset, and the CCH grows on you after you get used to the .25 mil spacing vs. 0.2 mil. The optical performance was so so, nothing to really write home about and the closest comparison I could probably make is the Vortex PST scopes.

If it's replacing an older Mark 4 then I'd say it's a fair-ish trade, the LRP brings in some good features like FFP, built in throw lever, zero stop, and what not that were lacking in the Mark 4.

Solid choice for a centerfire rifle. I tried to use the 6.5-20 for my rimfire but I couldn't get the parallax to focus closer than about 60 yards so it was a no go for me. Even though I knew Leupold could reset the parallax to be a closer minimum distance, it would've taken it away from the top end, which I wanted to avoid.

I picked one up NIB in the PX here at a good price. Happy so far. I have a couple older VX3& VXIII 6.5x20s, The LRT seems to be the FFP version with decent albeit TALL turrets with Mil/Mil configuration. I hope to upgrade the 2 older ones for at least one more LRT and a 5HD.

I have a VX3i 3.5-10 on my main hunting rifle. For what I use it for, it is more than capable. I replaced an older Japanese Nikon Monarch with it and it was a huge step up in clarity and light transmission in my opinion.

I have a FFP 8.5-25x50 LRP, I use it shooting PRS right now. It functions great and tracks very true, I’m probably the weak link in that combo. I did recently buy a Mark 5 HD with the same TMR reticle for my other long range rifle. If I come across a used LRP in FFP I know I’ll be buying it.

I’m looking at these scopes as well to go on a .223 that Is used out to 700m for PRS and other target shooting.

effectively in keen to know if It’s a choice between this and say Vortex PST Gen2 for $100 less, which would you choose?

I had an experience with Vortex when I bought my first long range scope. It was a lower end viper, hsv I believe. I put the sunshade in when I first opened the box, mounted it and the took the sunshade off and the front objective started to thread off. I contacted vortex and they wanted me to send it back, obviously I was sour and haven’t bought a vortex since.

I’ve always stuck with Leupold and have considered a few Nightforce but my ocd makes me buy one brand and only one brand. vortex is a brand you see majority of competitors or professionals using, heck I see 90% vortex at my local comps. Only way I’d go vortex is if I bought a high end one, I’m not certain on the models or what not but be a higher end one for sure.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
I’m looking at these scopes as well to go on a .223 that Is used out to 700m for PRS and other target shooting.

effectively in keen to know if It’s a choice between this and say Vortex PST Gen2 for $100 less, which would you choose?
PST Gen II is a really nice scope for the money. Very similar to a Gen I Razor. I have a 5-25 Gen II and the only complaint is above 20x it does wash out a bit compared to some higher dollar scopes, but in its price range it is good, very good.

Thanks for the replies every one.
Scope came in today. Nice, but different. First Mil/Mil ffp scope I've owned. Gonna take some learning and getting used to, especially the reticle being in the ffp. I can hardly see it below 12x.
I have done much shooting in a good many years, it appears I need to relearn everything. So, I may as well relearn it with a more up to date optic.

Scope came in today. Nice, but different. First Mil/Mil ffp scope I've owned. Gonna take some learning and getting used to, especially the reticle being in the ffp. I can hardly see it below 12x.
I have done much shooting in a good many years, it appears I need to relearn everything. So, I may as well relearn it with a more up to date optic.

So what scope did you end up going with.

when you turn the mag down, just use the reticle like a standard duplex.

when you turn the mag down, just use the reticle like a standard duplex.
Roger that.
E.T.A....can I loosen the set screws and slip the side focus knob a bit so I can get it to focus in at 25yds? The way it is out of the box the side focus goes past the infinity mark a good bit but on the low end of the spectrum it hits the stop and wont come into focus any closer in than 80yds.

Last edited:
Not recommended. The minimum focus is the minimum focus.
Do not concern yourself with the markings on the knob.
I have a scope where the distances were engraved opposite (near was far etc...) I never called about it because I don't look at the knob, I adjust till the parallax is gone.
When you turn the mag down, you will be able to focus at a shorter distance.