• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Opinions on magnifiers for Eo-tech

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
I have the 512 model on the 6920 flat top and was considering a magnifier. Had a deal on the g33 or whatever it is but that fell thru. They are expensive but there seem to be other options, such as from primary arms. Any members have some advice on such a unit? I stand ready for the flogging. Thanks.

Doug

What is this mounted on? You can always 45 mount the EOTech and put a variable zoom scope or such on it.

An offset EO is going to be one hell of a heavy and bulky setup.

I have a Primary Arms magnifier. While it gets the job done, it is nowhere near as clear as the Aimpoint and EO Tech brand magnifiers.

For a range toy only, and only for occasional use, I'd get the PA. That's why I bought the one I have, but it has now been replaced with a Leupold 1.5-4x in a LaRue mount that I can swap for my T1 micro when I want more magnification.

If it's for any kind of duty use (LE/MIL), or if you have a habit of beating the crap out of your gear, then drop the cash on the real deal.

You should buy whatever makes you enjoy shooting, you shouldn't worry about anyone flogging you for your purchases.

If you are worried about cost I am sure the primary arms magnifier will be fine but you may also consider what kind of optic quality/clarity you are looking for.

An offset EO is going to be one hell of a heavy and bulky setup.

I have a Primary Arms magnifier. While it gets the job done, it is nowhere near as clear as the Aimpoint and EO Tech brand magnifiers.

For a range toy only, and only for occasional use, I'd get the PA. That's why I bought the one I have, but it has now been replaced with a Leupold 1.5-4x in a LaRue mount that I can swap for my T1 micro when I want more magnification.

If it's for any kind of duty use (LE/MIL), or if you have a habit of beating the crap out of your gear, then drop the cash on the real deal.

I was going to get to that later :p and suggest throwing the EOtech on a shotgun or such, and going with a scope and mini RDS as a backup. But we hadn't go there yet.

I was going to get to that later :p and suggest throwing the EOtech on a shotgun or such, and going with a scope and mini RDS as a backup. But we hadn't go there yet.

I like my 1.5-4x Leupold. At 1.5x with the dot turned on, it still works well at short range (20 yards or so). It's not something I'd want for a home defense scenario, but it works damn well for across the street and down the block distances.

It is on a Colt 6920 rifle. Took the carry handle off and mounted it right to the flat top. Back up rear sight by Midwest Ind. allows me to use the irons if the eotech goes dead. Cowitness, right? I don't see myself canting the gun 45 degrees. I'm not jumping walls, or jumping out of perfectly good aircraft with this but got the bug after seeing a few at the range and came real close to snapping one up until he decided to keep it. Figured members would have some personal testimony.

Doug

It is on a Colt 6920 rifle. Took the carry handle off and mounted it right to the flat top. Back up rear sight by Midwest Ind. allows me to use the irons if the eotech goes dead. Cowitness, right? I don't see myself canting the gun 45 degrees. I'm not jumping walls, or jumping out of perfectly good aircraft with this but got the bug after seeing a few at the range and came real close to snapping one up until he decided to keep it. Figured members would have some personal testimony.

Doug

If that's all you're looking for, you will probably be happy with the Primary Arms magnifiers.

I like the fact that I can use the irons. That's what I've been shooting with for.........ever so I dig that stone age system. If I were to mount a low power scope, wouldn't that big honkin front sight kinda obscure the view? Vortex makes a good product. I see they got one out there. As is, I can make hits at 200 yds. with or with out the eotech on. I thought that a little magnification could't hurt. Besides, if I gotta shoot at uh....something beyond that....I'll call a time out so I can grab a different rifle! :)

The most common problem with magnifiers is the limited eye relief. I have a vortex in an ADM mount that has worked well for years.

The MI buis is probably going to be a problem as they tend to be too tall to allow the magnifier to clear when flipped into position. The mbus and troy buis will work without a problem.

I like the fact that I can use the irons. That's what I've been shooting with for.........ever so I dig that stone age system. If I were to mount a low power scope, wouldn't that big honkin front sight kinda obscure the view? Vortex makes a good product. I see they got one out there. As is, I can make hits at 200 yds. with or with out the eotech on. I thought that a little magnification could't hurt. Besides, if I gotta shoot at uh....something beyond that....I'll call a time out so I can grab a different rifle! :)

The front sight blurs out as you go up and magnification, and eventually disappears somewhere around 3-4x. It's not a big deal, really.

Douglas, I had a magnifier mounted on a LaRue cantilever mount in front of my EOTech. It was alright, but a little bit bulky. If I could go back and do it again I would probably have simply used a 1-4 optic, or saved a little more and gotten an ACOG. However as you already have the optic for simple range use, it works fine.. Check out magnifiers by Lucid, I was happy with mine. Found a review for you below, its also variable power which is nice.

Gear Review: LUCID Variable 2-5x Red Dot Magnifier | The Truth About Guns

The G33's glass is crystal clear and built like a rock! The mount is also rock solid and both can take a beating. The cheap ones are cheap glass, cheap mounts and fragile. Buy once and cry once!

I had the same setup 512 with the new 3x did not like it at all....to heavy and Awkward. I replaced it with a bushnell 1-6.5

We use Eotechs at work and I tested the magnifier for duty use. Absolutely hated it. Very awkward. Bad eye relief. Takes away the Eotechs inherent capability to remain parallax free. In other words you can't just point and shoot and expect the round to hit where the red dot is. You have to center the reticle very carefully when the magnifier is in use.

We use Eotechs at work and I tested the magnifier for duty use. Absolutely hated it. Very awkward. Bad eye relief. Takes away the Eotechs inherent capability to remain parallax free. In other words you can't just point and shoot and expect the round to hit where the red dot is. You have to center the reticle very carefully when the magnifier is in use.

Maybe I just have a good, consistent cheek weld, but I have never had a problem with POI shift while using a magnifier.

If you're going to use an EOTECH, realize your strengths & weaknesses. Your strength is speed & accuracy at closer ranges. Your weaknesses will be it's reliability (yes, I've seen a few go down) & weight should you decide to use a 3X device. I'm skeptical in regards to their reliability. If you use a PA 3X, it seems to have a very narrow field of view.

An Aimpoint T1 / H1 weighs 3 oz. It is quick, & bomb proof. A quality 1-4 is great option as well. Good luck.

Last edited:
Been there done that.... Save your money and just get a nice variable power scope. Red dots with magnifiers are sooooo 2009

I have the 512 model on the 6920 flat top and was considering a magnifier. Had a deal on the g33 or whatever it is but that fell thru. They are expensive but there seem to be other options, such as from primary arms. Any members have some advice on such a unit? I stand ready for the flogging. Thanks.

Doug

I love the g33...vortex eye relief was shit. Close to 3" on the eotech and the factory mount is awesome.

I say get the factory magnifiers whether Eotech or Aimpoint. Can be useful when practiced with. I can hit moving rabbits and jackrabbits consistently better with an Eotech than anything else and use the magnifier for the longer range ones that stop and take that one last look back. Also valuable as a monocular when hunting for prey I'd purposes. I love all my 1x4's and ACOGs also and not saying 1 is best. Just best for a certain purpose.

As a number of guys have said, there are better options out there these days than the magnifier. They were an attempt at adding versatility/longer-range capability to an EOTech, but they were never really all that good and they're bulky. I messed with one overseas and it didn't add enough advantage to justify its weight so it didn't make the cut. I settled on a low variable with a true 1x setting that I could use with both eyes open but dial in some magnification when I needed to. The scope was mounted so that the front sight tower didn't interfere.

I have an EOTech on my old patrol rifle because my Dept had a "no magnified optics" policy unless it was on a precision rifle. For LE purposes the EOTech was great. Overseas it was too one-dimensional with the distances in Afgh. The ACOG was great until it wasn't. It suffered from the same one-dimensionality problems plus the eye relief sucked.

If you're going to try the magnifier, I'd spend as little money as possible on it so you're not out a ton of money when you decide you don't like it.

The price and availability of some of the low-power variables is just too good these days. I really think they're hard to beat for a practical rifle.

ETA: I forgot to add, the fact that [MENTION=70537]elfster1234[/MENTION] is recommending against the magnifier should be a pretty big clue. He does a staggering amount of research, testing, and documentation and I trust his opinion immeasurably on all things AR.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong.... for an absolute 1x close quarters fast acquisition AR where bug hole shooting as a weekend warrior is not your concern, then aimpoint (not eotech) is 100% the way to go.... and yes,,,, get a single point aimpoint & NOT eotech for the very reason I'm about to explain as magnifiers suck donkey balls WHEN NEEDED for detail work IMO & only add weight to the rifle (and yes I've owned both as all magnifiers have = crappy eye relief and produce ungodly weight to the AR)....

On the lowest visible red dot light setting, Co-witnessing the small A2 aperture of your REAR BUIS ONLY (keep front BUIS DOWN) makes the aimpoint red dot ultra crisp & fine (as the small aperture will produce a "stenopeic" effect on the red dot making it crazy clear & fine) for detail work and I've found it to work much better than a ridiculous slap to the side shit-tastic eye relief / extra weight magnifiers (REAR BUIS SMALL APERTURE, NOT LARGE)... don't believe me? then try it for yourself.

Also, the closer you can get the AIMPOINT to the BUIS & to your eye = better as it will make a smaller MOA dot for detail work when needed... don't believe me? take an aimpoint close to your eye and then move it away from your eye & you will see the size of the dot will get bigger.

When I think of red dots, then I'm thinking SHTF AR set up, then I'm thinking you'll want BUIS anyway.... so try it yourself... rear BUIS small aperture with the aimpoint as close as possible to the rear BUIS (with enough room for the cap to flip down) & with the red dot as close to your eye as possible for detail work WHEN NEEDED....

IMG_7160_zpse6f88169.jpg

flip your caps down so they don't get snapped off... note I've allowed just enough room for the rear cap to flip down & clear the rear BUIS..... IMO, the closer you can get the red dot sight to your eye = better:
IMG_7620_zps5d7b948c.jpg

the below target was produced co-witnessing ONLY the rear BUIS (front BUIS still down) with the small A2 aperture & aimpoint pro true 1x at 100yards. Also, 4" BLACK target circle dots work great for the above method at 100yards & you simply double the size of the circle for every 100yards... so 4" target circle @ 100yards, 8" target circle @ 200, and at 300yards plus you will wish you had a nice variable power scope LOL!! True tho! LOL! Live and learn, Live and learn:
IMG_7421_zps868cbd82.jpg

As a number of guys have said, there are better options out there these days than the magnifier. They were an attempt at adding versatility/longer-range capability to an EOTech, but they were never really all that good and they're bulky. I messed with one overseas and it didn't add enough advantage to justify its weight so it didn't make the cut. I settled on a low variable with a true 1x setting that I could use with both eyes open but dial in some magnification when I needed to. The scope was mounted so that the front sight tower didn't interfere.

I have an EOTech on my old patrol rifle because my Dept had a "no magnified optics" policy unless it was on a precision rifle. For LE purposes the EOTech was great. Overseas it was too one-dimensional with the distances in Afgh. The ACOG was great until it wasn't. It suffered from the same one-dimensionality problems plus the eye relief sucked.

If you're going to try the magnifier, I'd spend as little money as possible on it so you're not out a ton of money when you decide you don't like it.

The price and availability of some of the low-power variables is just too good these days. I really think they're hard to beat for a practical rifle.

ETA: I forgot to add, the fact that [MENTION=70537]elfster1234[/MENTION] is recommending against the magnifier should be a pretty big clue. He does a staggering amount of research, testing, and documentation and I trust his opinion immeasurably on all things AR.

Last edited:
The Vortex magnifier is quite good for the money

+ 1 on the Vortex. Not to mention you can set it up to flip to the right or the left based on if your a lefty or a righty. And the adj. glass to center the Eotechs reticle. It's not as good as the 3x Eotech magnifier but its pretty good. I'm a happy customer.