• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Opinions on MPA Chassis/Rifle build parts list

Sharpshooter3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
I am doing some research and studding on building my first long range rifle and was hoping for some advice. It will mostly be for target shooting at the farm/local range and possibly may try some PRS in the future. I have been checking around and reading a lot of articles on the subject. My idea so far would be for a Defiance Tactical action, MPA chassis, Jewel trigger, and ether a Bartlein or Krieger barrel. I have not had a chance to actually hold a MPA chassis in my hands so any thoughts good or bad on them would be appreciated. I have shot a jewel and timmy trigger and liked the jewel better, but thoughts are welcome. Also has anybody had a rifle built by MPA? How was the quality/customer service? Not sure if I am asking the right questions but please educate me in what I should be looking for in a rifle builder as well. So far I have talked to GA, SAC,MPA, and String Bean all of them seem knowledgeable and nice, but MPA seems to be the most reasonable on price.

For a field rifle, I'd definitely go with the Timney over the Jewell. The Jewells have quite the rep for failing when dirty. I've had two fail because I neglected cleaning them and one would just go off without pulling it..scared the piss out of me.

Can't help with the MPA chassis, I only run KRG but have heard good things.

I'm a big fan of SAC. They're currently putting a 6.5 SAUM together for me right now and have done about 4 others in the past two years and they've all been hammers. Super patient and honest crew there and delivery times have always been met.

Reactions: Sharpshooter3
Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom so far guys. I appreciate it! Any thoughts on barrel contours? This rifle will probably be on the bench or prone 90-95% of the time. And I'm looking at a 6.5x45L for a chamber. I have been steered toward a heavy palma so far but just wanted to see what you guys/gals think.

Last edited:
26" on my 6.5 SAUM being built now( but its a sendero contour- close enough).

20.5" on my 308 and my 300win was a 25.5" - both marksman contours

my 6.5 creedmoors have all been 24" and I went from an M40 contour to rem varmint and now a proof cf on it.

I hunt with them also and while it wasn't as pleasant as having a light weight rifle, the marksman contours weren't back breaking to me at least.

I have a couple of factory light weight tack drivers that I use for hunting, but sadly all we can hunt with rifles in IL is coyotes for the most part.

They seem to be whats hot right now. I've been plenty happy with my Timney CE's but the new Geissle looks interesting as well.

I have a National Match Geissle in a AR platform and it is a amazing trigger in my opinion just very smooth and has a great feel to it. I guess I didn't know that they made triggers for bolt actions as well. I'll have to check in to that. Dose it hurt accuracy to take a barrel like a heavy palma and cut it down to a finished length of 26" when the profile pages say finished length is 30"?

I have 2 MPA comp chassis and love them.
One is my match rifle the other is my 223 trainer.
I use the timney Calvin elite 2 stage on both rifles. One has a hawk hill barrel the other is a bartelin.
Both rifles use defiance deviant tactical actions.
Consider checking out sawtooth rifles. The owner Matt yore builds killer rifles. I beleive there was 4 or 5 rifles built by sawtooth in the 2017 PRS finale in Oklahoma.

I am doing some research and studding on building my first long range rifle and was hoping for some advice. It will mostly be for target shooting at the farm/local range and possibly may try some PRS in the future. I have been checking around and reading a lot of articles on the subject. My idea so far would be for a Defiance Tactical action, MPA chassis, Jewel trigger, and ether a Bartlein or Krieger barrel. I have not had a chance to actually hold a MPA chassis in my hands so any thoughts good or bad on them would be appreciated. I have shot a jewel and timmy trigger and liked the jewel better, but thoughts are welcome. Also has anybody had a rifle built by MPA? How was the quality/customer service? Not sure if I am asking the right questions but please educate me in what I should be looking for in a rifle builder as well. So far I have talked to GA, SAC,MPA, and String Bean all of them seem knowledgeable and nice, but MPA seems to be the most reasonable on price.
Maybe I have a bad attitude but every time I hear mpa I think of those shitty Uzi things and grand theft auto. I could never have one for that alone.

Like the previous reply my mindset on mpa used to be they make funky/odd/different guns. Well after shooting one of their builds a buddy bought I was quite impressed. I think they have regrouped their company for the better these days. 3/8 moa Guarantee with a quality custom action for the price is hard to beat. After shooting his I ended up getting one and have no complaints. They both shoot great and fit and finish is pretty darn good.

I had one built by MPA off a Stiller Tac30 AW action , trigger tech special trigger, with their barrel (they took over spencer barrels)
Guns is an absolute hammer , .3 moa groups consistently. if you go that route you will not be dissapointed !

You know, they sell weight sets that bolt into the chassis to INCREASE the weight. The standard comp chassis is a little over 5lbs. With MTU barrels and other full, no taper barrels it's common to add weight to the rear to balance the rifle more even after choosing the heaviest barrel possible. The heaviest contours are what you see at matches.
match rifles.jpg

I've never heard anyone who shoots matches complaining their rifle was too heavy. A quick survey of the rifles will rarely find a fluted barrel. From improvised positions off bags the heavier, the more stable, the better. I feel like a heavy match rifle isn't any advantage prone if your technique is good and you're loading your bipod, but I definitely think that 10 to 20 extra lbs off bags makes a difference. When you throw your Game-changer up there, and slap all that weight into it, and it sort of curls around the limb and nests into place you'll appreciate a very heavy rifle. Again, not as much on stages where you can load into it, but off barricades and anything free recoiling weight is your best friend.

It's all perspective. I just don't say anything when I hear guys bitching about carrying a rifle in the mountains, or carrying heavy shotguns through switchgrass. I carry a 17lb .300WM for elk, and I still hunt pheasants occasionally (when in 5 shell states) with an 10lb A5. I often hunt with a Marine from a heavy weapons platoon. Don't bitch about the weight of your weapon around him, or you will hear some funny shit about what a pussy you are.

Lug around a 25lb, comp gun for two solid days of shooting, and no hunting gun is going to seem heavy. It changes your perspective. To me weight isn't even a concern on a competition build except when you're done with what you want you may feel you need to add weight, which is no big deal. Just IMHO.

That pic is from last weekend at the MPA Spring Shootout. Obviously there were lots of MPA chassis rifles there.

Phis Cashin is one of the true gentlemen of the industry. He's pure class. He gave all his ROs a $500 MPA gift certificate at the end of the match. Yes, he made his money on Ingram Mac 10 clones, but PRS is his passion. The "new" direction of the company is because he loves and lives the sport. His stuff is solid because he shoots and competes, and knows what he's doing, like a lot of people making precision rifle gear. It's a lot easier to figure it out when you're actually doing it.

Last edited:
I am doing some research and studding on building my first long range rifle and was hoping for some advice. It will mostly be for target shooting at the farm/local range and possibly may try some PRS in the future. I have been checking around and reading a lot of articles on the subject. My idea so far would be for a Defiance Tactical action, MPA chassis, Jewel trigger, and ether a Bartlein or Krieger barrel. I have not had a chance to actually hold a MPA chassis in my hands so any thoughts good or bad on them would be appreciated. I have shot a jewel and timmy trigger and liked the jewel better, but thoughts are welcome. Also has anybody had a rifle built by MPA? How was the quality/customer service? Not sure if I am asking the right questions but please educate me in what I shoul be looking for in a rifle builder as well. So far I have talked to GA, SAC,MPA, and String Bean all of them seem knowledgeable and nice, but MPA seems to be the most reasonable on price.

I plan on using the MPA COMP chassis as well on my first full custom build and having never used a bolt gun chassis before have no bias or reservation from one or the other. I can comment on the customer service and correspondence part though. I had a post on here regarding the inlet and the action I bought and what is the max COAL using AICS mags without mods that went unanswered. So I emailed Phil Cashin the owner of MPA at after 8:00 pm cmt which would have been 10:00 pm for him not expecting an answer for atleast a day or two and to my surprise in less than an hour he answered my previous question and a couple others.

Reactions: Fig
MPA builds quality rifles. While I have not owned one, I have handled and competed against them at matches. My own rifle wears a MPA competition chassis. I made that move about 2 years ago shortly after they came out with the new grip optimized for the way I shoot. I plan to pick up one of their hybrid chassis soon, that combined with a different scope will save me 3 pounds on my current build. While I am not greatly concerned about weight, it is nice to have a lighter rifle. I've run M24 and MTU contours in the not so distant past and never plan on going that heavy again. IMO, it just isnt necessary for what I do, which is mostly PRS matches with a little hunting thrown in. Remington varmint or medium Palma are what I have been using now for the past 3 years and that is what I'd recommend unless you are building a milspec build or shooting benchrest matches.

Yea. Everyone had chamber flags, and it was a 100% cold range. It’s difficult to keep 150 muzzles pointed in a safe direction when you can’t line them up downrange. If you did there would no no place to maneuver and shoot the stages. If you point them backwards everyone walking behind the range is in front of them. It’s not F-Class or HP. It’s a lot more active, and a lot harder to perfectly coordinate. I saw nothing unsafe, when anyone handled the rifles.
I get where you’re coming from though.

Phil’s as good as they come. Heck of a nice guy and tons of knowledge. He’s always willing to help out or give advice when he can. You won’t go wrong buying from MPA whether it’s just the chassis or a full build.

Reactions: Fig
Can anyone comment on the width of the cheek piece on the MPA chassis? From photos and videos it looks fairly wide like the cheek piece's on the XLR chassis so if anyone can share their opinions it would be appreciated.

I am having my first MPA built as we speak so i can’t speak to the chassis....yet. I do have 3 J. Allen’s and a couple Manners though and from what I can tell the MPA will be a good fit.
I am a huge TriggerTech fan, especially after seeing a brand new Jewell bottom safety fire on its own when closing the bolt. I have one Jewell and will be replacing it shortly. The TT diamond is absolutely awesome and my first choice, just my $.02.

Can anyone comment on the width of the cheek piece on the MPA chassis? From photos and videos it looks fairly wide like the cheek piece's on the XLR chassis so if anyone can share their opinions it would be appreciated.
? Normal? Average? It may be slightly thinner than my Manners. It feels right; not too thick or thin. I can say that with the eye relief of the Kahles I have mounted the front part of my cheek weld is forward of the foam pad. At first it thought this was a problem that was going to require some modification. After the first several hundred cartridges I decided I like it, because I’m not guessing. I feel the cold metal on the front part of my cheek, and the padding on the back part, and I have a felt reference to duplicate my position exactly. I feel like this gives me more leeway when drastically switching distances between shots even if I’m not dialing parallax perfectly.