• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on Nikon

rustydog32

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2011
I have had some good and bad experiences with Nikon in the past what are your experiences on the Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50?
are they worth the $1400?

Re: Opinions on Nikon

NO.
Only maximum of 50 MOA internal adjustment (combined elevation and windage). You will not be happy with that. There are a lot of other scopes out there now for less money that give more of what you want/need.

After dealing with Nikon customer service, I would not own one if they were 140 bucks. Lots of past customers will tell you the same thing, most over service issues.

That is kind of what I was thinking I had a really bad experience with there customer service and loved them until then and sold all of them off. I was considering giving them another chance but guess that is all settled

$1400 you have a lot of choice. I think Mark 4 is better.

What's the difference between the new " x " vs the regular Monarch??

I like the mark 4 but the magnification range is not quite as good... How does the glass compare?

I would not put that kind of cash into a Nikon, and I have 2 Nikons. A Buckmaster that sits on an AR, and a slug hunter on a Savage slug gun. For what I paid for those scopes, and what I use them for, they are good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rustydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had some good and bad experiences with Nikon in the past what are your experiences on the Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50?
are they worth the $1400? </div></div>Well, I have a ProStaff on a .22 rifle that I like quite a bit. I can't say how they hold up on stiffer recoiling rifles, but as far as a .22 bolt gun mine has done great. Good clear glass.

For $1400 you could have a used Nightforce in either 3X15 or 5.5X22 from the optics for sale section here. A little patience might be required to wait for the right deal, but that is what I would do if I had $1400 to spend on a scope.

I have a Nikkon on my 10/22 and sold another one a while back. No complaints given what I paid but I certainly would not spend $1400 on one. Too many better options...Sightron SIII, Vortex PST, Bushnell, SS, etc.

I will echo what others have said and would not put that much money in a Nikon.

I have a 4.5-14x40 buckmaster with the mildot reticle. I did own the p-22 for a short time.

IMO, the buckmaster has OUTSTANDING glass for the money. When compared side by side against Leupold Vari-X III, Vari-X II, Bushnell Elite 4200, and Zeiss Conquest the buckmaster holds its own very well.

Obviously, the Zeiss Conquest is the best of the bunch, but I'll tell you that the Nikon Buckmaster is as good as the others listed for a fraction of the cost - and no, I'm not smoking anything.

If nikon would make a 30mm tube scope with a TMR style reticle with matching turrets in a 4-16 or 5-20 for under $1K they would own the market. Alas, they don't.

On another note - I have not had to deal with their CS, so I cannot comment on that matter.

With all of this said my next scope will be a VX-3 for my Ruger #1 though.

I'm also going to chime in with that Nikon battles the law of diminishing returns as you go up their product line. Their Buckmaster and some of their plain Monarch line can be good values but there is a whole new level of competition after the $1,400+ point. Here they have to battle SWFA, Vortex, Zeiss, Swaro etc... Its a whole new playing field and I dont believe they have been able to develop a strong reputation for their higher end offerings.
I would skip it and keep looking.

Good luck

Edit: I would just like to clarify, I don't have any particular gripes with the X series. I just believe in that in that price range there are more proven options where one might not have to second guess their value. I have not personally had to deal with their return center, so I really can't comment either way on their CS.

I have the Monarch X 4-16 and its a great scope but it is true about the cost and the lack of much adjustment. I think Nikon has come a long way with customer service over the years and I have yet to have a scope fail on me. They are very hesitant to get into the tactical market. The Monarch and Prostaff offer great choices at a lower price. I have a Conquest as well and that glass hands down is the best bang for the buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm also going to chime in with that Nikon battles the law of diminishing returns as you go up their product line. Their Buckmaster and some of their plain Monarch line can be good values </div></div>

Completely agree with this. At the bottom end of the market, they make some nice serviceable scopes for short $$$. I have Nikon's on a couple of .22's and they are just great. On .22's.

At the high end... don't bother.

Cheers,

Sirhr

at 1400 bucks nikon is out of their mind. at 600-700 bucks it might be a decent buy, but at 1400 your talking nightforce quality

Like I always tell guys, find what works best for your needs and buy it. I've used the MONARCH Tactical, now the X, for a few years on a custom .300 win. rifle I've been working up to 1000 yards, just haven't had time to get there yet. I bought the scope after a couple of respected shooters I know suggested it to me. So far no issues running out to 600 yards. I bought this scope way before I started doing some work for Nikon in case some of you think I may be a bit biased. I could have bought whatever I wanted to, I made a choice. You can do the same.
One thing that concern's me a lot are issues with Nikon Customer Service. Nikon works very hard trying to keep you guys happy. I know I have worked with a few guys who needed to have an eye cup replaced and another who dropped his rifle and the scope broke......yes, we took care of him too. I'd say over the last 2 years the CS dept. has made some changes to help those who need help get resolution in a quck and satisfactory manner. I know, while not my official job, if I can be of any help to you guys, please just ask. We know that keeping you happy after the sale is just as important as helping you select the right product.

Bart,
I don't believe this thread was intended to be a bash session about Nikon or its CS. I know Nikon is a solid company and produces a number of very well made products. Besides scopes I have personally handled or owned I still possess a DSLR which I have been very happy with for a number of years. The OP was asking about a particular model (Monarch X 4-16) and whether it was worth a certain price. I believe that one of the problems is that many other companies competing at this price point have filled a certain niche in the market that Nikon may be lacking ie. Vortex = most features and no questions lifetime warranty, Zeiss = best glass you can buy for your dollar, NF = a beefy mother that will always track and never fail, companies woth solid military contracts and attractive values for for the dollar and better prices for military persons etc...Also people debate whether its worth spending money on the jacked up highest version of a certain model from a ompany's offering or to go to one who's beginning product line starts at only the highest of standards.

Unfortunately in CS you will hear 9 in 10 of the unsatisfied where as more likely only 1-2 of 10 of the pleased (inflated). Its an unpleasantry of the word getting out.
I personally believe that if Nikon made a strong move for their product to stand out and offer something either innovative or their current higher offerring at a more attractive price they would please a larger crowd. I may be speaking for just myself but when I am contemplating a large purchase I want to know that I wont have to worry if theres a problem and i don't want to question whether or not what im about to buy is worth the money.

Nikon does a very good job with alot of products and they are a large and successful company for a reason. I would love to see Nikon offer a no questions asked warranty on their monarch series+ and maybe a few features that would make people actually seek it out.

I appreciate your position within the company and am happy to hear that they have an ear here.

Bob, Thanks for the kind words. The high end market is a tough nut for sure. Once estabilished the name becomes worth some added $ as it should. Do you always get what you are pating for, I don't think so, but again, just my opinion.

I think for now and I'm certainly not privy to all decision's we are sticking to producing what so many guys have asked us to. Hence the new
P-223 and P-22 Series of optic's. Most guys can't drop 4 figures on a scope and we are doing our best to help these guys get a quality, reliable optic that they can use for many many years. The M-Series has proven itself over and over again. Now we have something for almost evderyone.

Again Bob, Thank you for your post. As always, if there's a Nikon related question or a Customer Service issue, drop me a note and I'll do my best to help you out.

Safe shooting.