• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on these M40 repro stocks

fe1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2006
East Texas
0061BF89-EDC5-4589-A375-3665631EAE30.png

I found working with a wood stock fun very time intensive but fun and rewarding just completed one of two Spanish mousers think it came out pretty good . I should have spend more time sanding in the hard to get spots other wise I could not be happier . staining was and use of steel wool was new thank god there are a ton of video's on the subject online . and the true oil finished up looking pretty cool as well never tried to do this stuff before now I am looking to try carve my own stock just to see if I could . If I can do it you can as well good luck which ever derision you make .

Last edited:
I’m with ya on that. I hear they are pretty rough and some warped so think I’ll shy away from it.

My Gunville stock came out real nice. Wood grain was tight, not porous. I did an M40 barrel not the Rem Varmint, so it took a bit more work than I had wanted. It is a beautiful piece of wood now (after about 20 coats of BLO).

Reactions: fe1
My Gunville stock came out real nice. Wood grain was tight, not porous. I did an M40 barrel not the Rem Varmint, so it took a bit more work than I had wanted. It is a beautiful piece of wood now (after about 20 coats of BLO).
Where did you find a aluminum butt plate?

I purchased one a few months ago for my .223 trainer that I'm very pleased with. I gave it to a gunsmith friend for the inletting and he said it was about 16 hours of labor for it. He charged me $350 which I was glad to pay since I've I tried my hand at inletting before with horrible results. I did the finish sanding, bedded it, and oiled it.

IMG-4447.jpg

IMG-4448.jpg