• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opinions on value of these rifle options?

Cs68

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2019
Livonia, MI
Options are a few new/used rifles I've found recently, that are close to home, and wouldn't need an FFL transfer.

$750 Savage 10 FCP-HS 308 used 500ish rounds

$750 R700 AAC-SD 6.5cm new in magpul hunter stock

$750 RPR 6cm new at sportsman's warehouse

I should probably add, I do have all the stuff to reload, just need to set it up.
I have no experience with the 6cm, limited 6.5cm. Spent most of my time behind my dad's M24 clone 308, my R700 300wm, and SCAR 17.
This gun will be my range toy to practice my fundamentals for working on my long range shooting.

I could use a factory rem action, get a criterion remage barrel, and drop it in my stock of choice.
That being said, I'm trying to keep the cost right at $1000 or less, which would be that build, without gunsmithing costs.

I would recommend the Rem 700 as I know it is a sloid platform. Every shooter is different though, what fits me might not fit you... Whatever you choose, make sure it is comfortable for you. I would go through an FFL just for the protection of putting it in your name and knowing that it isn't a hot gun.

A couple more options open up, if I have a $1k budget, namely the Bergara HMR and Tikka CTR.

Also, recently a Savage 10 action popped up near me, wondering what the gunsmithing cost would be, to have a prefit barrel put on it? I have zero barrel installing experience, nor the tools.

I would just check with Gunbroker and wait until the exact item you are looking for shows up. There are plenty of good deals there if you just have to have it right now... Me, I'm putting together a Rem 700 .308 and hope to find one in 5r 24" threaded, possibly Gen 2. Again, possibly trade out the trigger for a lighter pull.

This^^^ But that 700 is a great deal with the Magpul setup. I have zero experience with the 6cm though, so I'm not sure if the Ruger is a better option.

I would want the dbm, so it would end up being about $825 all together. Heavily considering the Savage action, oryx chassis, and prefit barrel, which would be about $1000 plus gunsmithing.

I would want the dbm, so it would end up being about $825 all together. Heavily considering the Savage action, oryx chassis, and prefit barrel, which would be about $1000 plus gunsmithing.

Had a savage, didn’t care for the bolt, weak extractor and several people I know says they screw the pooch when it matters.

It just sorted itself out, my buddy from work is picking up an sps tactical, so I'm getting the aac. Probably sell him the magpul, and go with a krg or McMillan. Thanks for the input guys.