• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Opinions on Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50

Re: Opinions on Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50

I think there's a couple PST owners floating around here... General consensus is that they're good to go and have a really good "bang for the buck" factor. Buy in confidence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there's a couple PST owners floating around here... General consensus is that they're good to go and have a really good "bang for the buck" factor. Buy in confidence. </div></div>

I'm one of those PST owners, a 6-24 in my case. I think for the money, you really can't go wrong with a pst. for my .308, I can go out to past 1k, if I ever needed to. I find the glass to be very good, and the EBR-1 MOA reticle works very well for my purposes. I've used the illumination for the reticle in different light settings, from low light up to just using it to make sure I was centered on target on a fairly bright day, it worked very well

It is pretty well documented here that the glass on the 4-16 is hit or miss. I am one of the misses. The glass is cloudy and hard to focus on my 4-16ffp pst with the ebr-1 reticle. I plan on sending it back to vortex after the holidays. To give you an idea, i consider the glass quality around or slightly below that of a $300 millet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is pretty well documented here that the glass on the 4-16 is hit or miss. I am one of the misses. The glass is cloudy and hard to focus on my 4-16ffp pst with the ebr-1 reticle. I plan on sending it back to vortex after the holidays. To give you an idea, i consider the glass quality around or slightly below that of a $300 millet. </div></div>

I've heard that a lot about the 4-16, and have only heard good things about the 6-24. I bought a 6-24x50 FFP Mrad, and have been 100% happy with it. I can't think of a single thing I'd change about this scope. It's barely bigger than the 4-16, and I prefer the higher magnification range.

The sunshade is stupid long, so I don't use it. Minor detail.

my 4-16 X50 is excellent... only complaint is the "daylight visible" settings on the illumination is visible at nighttime only.

my 4-16x50 is fantastic and has great glass. I can spot shots at 300 yards on the target very easily (haven't taken it past that yet). Focus is easy, glass is clear, turrets are fantastic, FFP reticle is awesome, zero stop works perfect, MOA/MOA is the shit, plus you get the vortex VIP warranty. Yep.....love it.

Thanks for the responses. I like the 6-24 choice but I choose the 4-16 because its 13.7in in length and the 6-24 is 15.5 and my problem is that I found where my head lays and where im comfortable I only have about 14in of space starting about 3.5 inches away from eye to put the scope until it gets into the way of the charging handle I could get a longer scope but I wouldn't be able to lock my charging handle I would only be able to charge it like an ak. I could experiment with a scope in that length and see if by adjusting my stock it might work out good.

I bought 2 of the 4-16 PST's and both have excellent glass. Still I wish I had gotten the 6-24X50 PST but only because I like the higher magnification.

In a side by side comparison, I chose the 6-24x50 for a few reasons.

First, the clarity of the 6-24x50 was better for sure. Not by a tremendous amount, but still better. At full magnification, the 6-24x50 definitely shines over the 4-16x50 by quite a bit.

Second, I mostly target shoot, and shoot steel as well. With my eyes as the common denominator, the higher magnification was a HUGE plus. The lower power is still great for hunting, and I will be doing quite a bit of that when the Pdogs make their showing again.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with the PST scopes. In my opinion, without a doubt, they are the best bang for the buck going in any scope line out there. Also, their no questions asked, unconditional lifetime transferable warranty should be easily considered in high regard.

DK

OP, are you looking at the PST for the illumination or for Mil/Mil? If illumination is not that big of a deal I would recommend checking out the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50mm G2DMR scope. I've been testing several scopes in this range and I actually tested the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm along side the Bushnell. During daylight I thought both optics performed very well and the reticle on the PST is really nice, but the difference came in low light situations. Since I use my rifle for hunting as well as steel and paper I need a scope that is going to perform well after the sun goes down and before the sun comes up. Anyway, as the light began to get "low" the glass in the Bushnell really began to reveal it's edge. Even though the PST had an illuminated reticle it was difficult for me to discern objects in the glass and to my surprise I was still able to see clearly through the Bushnell even with the non-illuminated reticle.

If low light is not a concern for you then I think you'll be happy with the PST, but if it is I would suggest the Bushnell, and if you shop around and ask for Hide discounts from sellers here (Liberty Optics, Euro Optics, CS Tactical, etc.) you can get the Bushy for under $300 more than the PST. And the Bushnell has a greater magnification range, is mil/mil and fits your length requirement at only 13.2" long. There is one disadvantage though and that is the weight, 32.5 oz... I didn't mean to throw you off target but thought I'd throw out another option.

GAP designed the reticle and has a nice review on the scope, check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGHFetEULEk

I've got the PST 4-16x50 MOA MOA on my .375 Cheytac and it's doing the job nicely. Zero stop works fine. I haven't bothered with the illumination yet. If I switch to a scope with higher magnification then I will replace one of the bushnells on one of my other rifles with the Vortex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my 4-16x50 is fantastic and has great glass. I can spot shots at 300 yards on the target very easily (haven't taken it past that yet). Focus is easy, glass is clear, turrets are fantastic, FFP reticle is awesome, zero stop works perfect, MOA/MOA is the shit, plus you get the vortex VIP warranty. Yep.....love it. </div></div>
Then my glass definitely sucks. I can barely spot hits at 100 on a clear sunny day, at any magnification. Won't focus in and mirage is terrible.

Dude...you've stated the same thing for weeks if not longer. Contact vortex and let them make it right.

My 4-16 PST is very clear. It's no NF, but it hangs with my Sightron SIII.

According to optics planet, the pst 6x24x50 ffp is discontinued, WTF is up with that? Everything I've read about the 6x24 is 5 star, anybody have any inside info.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXpopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline">According to optics planet, the pst 6x24x50 ffp is discontinued</span>, WTF is up with that? Everything I've read about the 6x24 is 5 star, anybody have any inside info.? </div></div>

First I wouldn't believe anything Optic's Planet has on their site. Second, always consult a secondary source for potentially bogus information:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

The PST's are not being discontinued and happen to be an outstanding scope for the money. As for the 4-14x vs 6-24x "glass clarity issue" I feel it's more of a cascading parroting effect. A few people voiced their negative opinions on the glass quality of the 4-16x relative to the 6-24x across numerous forums, then other people parroted that opinion enough to induce a feedback effect. I have two 6-24x's and a good friend has a 4-16x. Side by side I can see no optical clarity difference. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXpopo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to optics planet, the pst 6x24x50 ffp is discontinued, WTF is up with that? Everything I've read about the 6x24 is 5 star, anybody have any inside info.? </div></div>

The 6-24 ffp pst is one of if not the most popular scopes in the world. Why would vortex discontinue there top seller?

I like my PST 4-16x50 mil/mil very much. It has served me well, glass is clear and I've used it hunting in low light situations numerous times with no complaints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude...you've stated the same thing for weeks if not longer. Contact vortex and let them make it right.

My 4-16 PST is very clear. It's no NF, but it hangs with my Sightron SIII. </div></div>
Haha, i know and i plan to, but i had plans to go shooting this weekend and don't have a spare scope.
FWIW, i owned a nf 5.5x22 and wasn't terribly impressed with it's glass either, not for a $1600 scope. Especially after looking through a schmidt - do yourselves a favor and don't look through scopes that are out of your budget...it just makes everything else a disappointment!

I have the 4-16pst SFP Ebr1 MOA.

Only issue that I have is with the illumination, but could have been the cheap battery that came with the scope. Vortex did send me a replacement battery cover to fix the original issue of the illumination not working . (No problems with my other scope illumination systems: Hawke, NXS, or USO.)

I have this mounted on a .22, which is configured similar to its bigger brothers.

I was wondering if the OP ever heard of google.

I have never heard anything bad about Vortex Optics, Scopes, binos, or other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sc0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 4-16pst SFP Ebr1 MOA.

Only issue that I have is with the illumination, but could have been the cheap battery that came with the scope. Vortex did send me a replacement battery cover to fix the original issue of the illumination not working . (No problems with my other scope illumination systems: Hawke, NXS, or USO.)

I have this mounted on a .22, which is configured similar to its bigger brothers. </div></div>

Same problem as my 2.5-10, bad battery & cap. Super good scope for the price. Defintly doesnt have the same feel or optic quality of my nightforce nxs, but my dad liked it so much he picked one up and loves it

Thanks for all the advise ill spend some time and find the right scope for my gun but I am really liking the vortex pst 4-16x50

I've seen a few people talk about the battery cap so I'll just throw out a suggestion, make sure you use a coin or such to torque the cap all the way down. The o-ring is a very tight fit and you won't get very far with turning it by hand. Make sure you hold the dial nice and tight then use a coin (I used a nickel) and get that cap on tight. I was surprised how many turns it went before being snugged in. Just a suggestion.

HK MaNiaK,
I love the 4-16. I really don't like heavy, big, bulky scopes and the 4-16 fits perfectly on my rifle. It keeps my rig low-ish weight and gives me all the features I could ask for. I would buy in confidence. They don't even care if you paint them and if your a rattle can nut like me then that's important.

IMG_20121224_103052_zps1ef17b57.jpg

Genin,
That is a very good looking, simple and effective stick.

I really like clean, simple lines.

Thank you sir. I am the same way. I actually had a really done up rig a while ago with over-sized bolt knob etc and found that it was just not for me. I ended up selling it all off and starting over to make a good, sleek, light rifle that screamed K.I.S.S. I love it. Thanks again for the kind words. Merry Christmas.

I have a 4-16 FFP and it is a great scope. The glass is not as clear as my IOR or March but it isn't in the same price range as either of those. It tracks well and the glass is clear. My buddy has a 6-24 and there is no difference in glass between the two.

Just took my 4-16 out to distances from 100-750 yards. Biggest thing i noticed is its out of focus at all distances and all reasonable zoom levels. I can adjust parallax fine but the site picture status blurry regardless of setting on parallax.

You have been complaining this whole thread. Why not just contact Vortex? You know they have a warranty right? They will take good care of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have been complaining this whole thread. Why not just contact Vortex? You know they have a warranty right? They will take good care of you. </div></div>
+1 Stop crying and do something about it.

Vortex customer service is great. They usually go above and beyond their duty, and not only address the obvious problems/issues, but strive to accommodate your needs even if you're "pushing the envelope". That is one of he reasons all my precision rifles are outfitted with Vortex scopes (exception: semi-premise SVD carries semi-decent POSP that stands for Piece Of Shiite Proven
smile.gif
- don't know why but I like it better than PSO).