• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Opinions: Supressors worth the time, $$, effort?

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
I've been thinking about going with a good supressor that I can change around on all my rifles (.223 - 300WM). I always wear double hearing protection and shoot outside and it's usually not crowded (atually empty)at my range so sound isn't a big deal. I'm not recoil sensitive but less would always be better for calling shots on the higher power cals. I'll admit if I could run down to my local shop and pick one up for a resonable price w/o all the paperwork, stamps, time, etc, I would. But everything that has to take place to get one just seems rediculous. I've been mulling for a few years now and if I would have done it back then I'd probably be a happy camper now..

So, with the wait times, paperwork, leg work and cost of a supressor worth it for you and your applications? Would you have been plenty happy with just a brake and some double hearing protection? Did you choose a supressor purly to reduce sound, recoil or both? Were you happy with your decision or do you think you could have been just as happy and have the extra $1500 back in your pocket or another project on the build table?

Re: Opinions: Supressors worth the time, $$, effort?

I would suppress everything if I could. My rifles are all suppressed, none for the pistols yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suppress everything if I could. My rifles are all suppressed, none for the pistols yet. </div></div>

I'm swiftly heading this direction too, with 5 cans, 1 of which is for a pistol. Just like tattoos, they're an addiction. Best/cheapest advice, don't get hooked.
smile.gif
Or jump in with both feet and your wallet out!

I like my Shark alot, my next can will be something FA rated for a SBR project, other than that I won't be buying anymore, there cool to have, but not gotta have IMHO.

It's a pretty nice thing to have, but I would not run a suppressed rifle in competition, if that's your thing. I'll keep my brake on for general shooting and comps, and suppress it for hogs.

I think of them as another firearm for the collection. I don't shop the $1000+ cans so a $500-800 can plus tax stamp is what my average rifle costs anyways. If I wanted to stick to practicality, I'd have a handgun, shot gun, battle rifle, and precision rifle and that's it. That's not the case for most enthusiasts and collectors. I also justify the added headache of obtaining one because they're rare to own or see out in public. Out of all of my friends that shoot regularly from my active duty days, my current USMC reserve unit, my job (LEO), and other non LEO/military enthusiasts, I'm the only one who owns suppressors and SBRs.

I chose my cans for noise management and recoil management, but also for the fun factor. I think it's a lot of fun owning stuff more on the rare side and just as much fun using them. They're not just a practical tool for me, but neither is a safe stuffed full of more guns that I can carry to the range.

Buy cans that you can use on multiple rifles or swap between rifle and pistol use. My Shark can is for 308 but, i can shoot it on my 223's as well. 427Cobra posted above me and he has the same can and shoots it on multiple rifles including .260. I also have an SWR Specre waiting on stamp to be approved. Its rated for my .17 and 22 and 5.57 if I ever wanted one. Plus it will go from pistol to rifle. The last one for me is a 9mm SWR that will mount on my 9mm SBR as well as a 9mm pistol. They are great to have and enjoy but because of cost, ATF stamp cost its better in my book to get the most out of what you buy.

A few years ago I had a Blackwater suppressor pouch, which I sold for pretty cheap because I decided I would never have a can. But as the years went on I thought about it, an incredible deal presented itself, and suddenly I had one.

I guess it depends on what you think your time and money is actually worth. If you're behind on your car payment, maybe you shouldn't. If you're sitting ok and have some disposable income, I would really put more money into your rifle to make it shoot better. But since mine can't shoot any better, might as well get a can.
laugh.gif

If it was up to me every platform I own would be suppressed,wait a minute they are. Hell ya it is worth it ! Not only is it none of my neighbors business when amI shooting or what I am shooting. Also makes it much better live fire training indoors or in group circumstances. Lessens any chance of miscommunications and hearing damage after extended sessions.

I don't shoot my unsuppressed rifles anymore. Shopping for more cans and rifles that wear them.

Suppressors are like potato chips - you can't have just one.

Once you get one suppressor then you'll want to suppress EVERTHING you own. It's a dangerous road to go down unless you hit the lottery. On that note - I rarely shoot unsupressed anymore. LOVE THEM !!!

Yes way worth it!! I shoot suppressed in matches all the time. Way worth it. Quieter, less dust, less recoil. With a brake on the other hand, its just obnoxious. Blast, noise, dust.

Cans are way worth it.

ill admit as much as i shoot i do look at my evo and think... that could be a ______ well fill the blank in truck payment quad payment new arms for my race quad.... BUT when i do shoot i remember exactly why i have it and it feels ohhhh so worth it.

but thats only when i shoot and its not that often, I did just buy another suppressor.... mainly cause its no longer in production and like every one else once you suppress one rifle they all must be suppressed

like have always said... once you shoot with a can, you'll never want to shoot without one.

What Bacarrat said, but with all the hand guns too.

Don't shoot rude.

I've got a metric shit ton of cans. Once you get one, its over. You will want everything suppressed. It cuts down on the noise pollution and saves your ears.

They are worth it, for sure!

If you just collect guns, shoot occasionaly, and post on the internet, NO.
If you shoot your guns, hell yea!!!

Like most have already posted, very addictive.
Once you start shooting with a can, you will likely not want to shoot anything without a can.

The only arguements that I can see to the contrary are:
- Paperwork / Wait
- Jumping through hoops to get LEO signature or Trust established
- Additional weight & length added to the muzzle
- Dramatic increase in fouling due to back pressure
- "Gas Face"

For me, the pros far outweigh the cons:
- Reduced sound signature
- Recoil reduction
- Typical velocity increase
- Typical accuracy increase
- Happy dogs, wife, and neighbors

+1 on running a can. I think the paperwork hassle was worth it.....

No regrets here and I am selling a large chunck of my guns to make my collection more silencer friendly.

The prices aren't too bad if you have more than one gun of similar caliber. My Savage and AR are both threaded for my can.

The only thing strange is the AR sounds like a .22 Mag and the Savage sounds like an air rifle.

I have several suppressors on pistols and rifles, and I think it was worth the investment. It makes shooting that much more fun. In fact, I have one on order right now for my .308. The .22's are really fun to shoot!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you just collect guns, shoot occasionaly, and post on the internet, NO.
If you shoot your guns, hell yea!!!

Like most have already posted, very addictive.
Once you start shooting with a can, you will likely not want to shoot anything without a can.

The only arguements that I can see to the contrary are:
- Paperwork / Wait
- Jumping through hoops to get LEO signature or Trust established
- Additional weight & length added to the muzzle
- Dramatic increase in fouling due to back pressure
- "Gas Face"

For me, the pros far outweigh the cons:
- Reduced sound signature
- Recoil reduction
- Typical velocity increase
- Typical accuracy increase
- Happy dogs, wife, and neighbors </div></div>

1) You have to pay to play. If you want the can you have to be patient enough to wait for the process
2) No hoops to jump thru with a trust, buy once cry once.
3) bolt guns dont suffer from "gas face". Semi auto's do though.

Beware suppressors are addictive! I thought I would just get a .22 can at the beginning of this year. Just picked up my 5th can yesterday! You have been warned.

see how many poeple have them , and regret their purchase .
whether you actualy shoot , or just like to have cool toys ,

DO IT !

Well... what an overwhelming response. Looks like I'll have to start doing some new research and putting my pennies away and get some barrels threaded.

Thanks for all the viewpoints everyone!
Happy Holidays

I have an SWR Omega 300 . I use on a Mark 13 clone , as well as REM 700s in 7.62 and 5.56 , and M4s ...

I've suppressed every gun i own from .22lr to 50BMG.

Shotguns are next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suppress everything if I could. </div></div>

Yep.

I have one rifle suppressor that fits and functions on all but my lever action rifles.

I am now researching suppressor for my pistols.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am now researching suppressor for my pistols. </div></div>
Silencerco Osprey....research done..

I have two suppressors - Gemtech HVT and an AAC M4/2000 and I agree with most of the posters that when you have one you always want more. I always get a big laugh on the range when someone comes up and asks are those things legal...no, I just flaunt the law whenever I can just to get in trouble.

I have used the 308 Gemtech on the 223 AR's that I have and it works fine; however, the 30 can is pretty heavy and makes the AR's very front heavy and that is why I got a 223 suppressor. it is lighter and doesn't make the front end feel so heavy.

Rock River M4 - 223 - AAC M4/2000
DSCN0245.jpg

cans RULE

The time and effort to 'jump thru the NFA hoops' was totally worth it to me. Now, I can't imagine NOT shooting rifles suppressed. Same as I can't imagine shooting rifles without an optic. They're both integral parts of my rifles.

Originally, I did it because I discovered I could design and build suppressors myself on Form 1's. It wasn't about saving money. You'll spend more time, research and effort building one. I work in the tool, mold & die business and simply wanted to see if I could do as good a job as the OEM's. Now I buy some, and I build some. Either way, I don't much want to shoot without one.

I don't know how I ever got along with out one!

Got my software yesterday to do a trust with Quicken, but will have a buddy lawyer check everything over too just to make sure. Hopefully by this time next year I'll have my first can (or two). Appreciate all the positive responses.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!
John

One quick question.. and I think I know the answer.. cans and tax stamps aren't like guns when it comes to approvals are they? Meaning, when I buy a gun and get my paperwork approved, I can buy as many guns that day as I want on that one approval. I'm guessing if I want 2 or 3 cans, I'd need 2 or 3 tax stamps and as many form 4's sent in... Is that correct? Buying suppressors in bulk doesn't gain you any advantage does it?

You have to go through the process for every NFA item.
The only advantage in doing more than one at once is if you are not doing it on a trust.
Then you can get all your CLEO signatures, fingerprints, & photos done at once.

Sorry, I know that wasn't the answer you were hoping for...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to go through the process for every NFA item.
The only advantage in doing more than one at once is if you are not doing it on a trust.
Then you can get all your CLEO signatures, fingerprints, & photos done at once.

Sorry, I know that wasn't the answer you were hoping for...</div></div>

Not the one I was hoping for .. but the one I expected. Thanks for the confirmation though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a metric shit ton of cans. </div></div>

Um. Would you mind converting that to imperial shit pounds?

I think it was something like #12 cleared this week... I am bit can heavy at this point...

it's really quite simple, the drive from the dealer takes longer than the paperwork.

I agree that cans are the way to go. Less noise at the range make the neighbors less nervous. They also improve accuracy. The hassles are way worth the effort it takes to get them.

Semper Fi!

I bought one of them fancy German sports cars once because it was faster'n blue blazes and discovered the most amazing thing about it was the brakes. I bought a can for the noise attenuation but now I most appreciate its recoil reduction. I never shoot my .308 without it because I can shoot 178-gr A-Maxes @2800 fps all day and when I'm done I feel like I might as well have been shooting my 5.56 M4gery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a metric shit ton of cans. </div></div>

Um. Would you mind converting that to imperial shit pounds? </div></div>

Right now Im going on 50 cans. Mix between pistol and mostly rifle cans.
Does that help?

Bought my first can a titanium .223 for my AR , it was very soon after I got one for my .308....and if it just was not so $$$ I would love to have one for the .50

well worth the money if you shoot alot

The civilized way to shoot...period.

I don't think they are a necessity, but they are nice to have on certain platforms. On the downside its hard to just have 1. You get 1 and you want another and another. Then you want more rifles, barrels, handguns, that can wear them. For what its worth my lesson was, I should not have bought a .45 can as I never use it and when I do I must use coolant which is a pain since I use the wire pulling gel. My .308 can which is the 7.62sd is my most used centerfire rifle can. I absolutely love shooting with this can. In fact my gap crusader has actually never been fired without it. I have .223 cans but rarely use them as I still must use hearing protection with them, not to mention the weight and added length prevents me from using them in competition. 9mm cans would be a close 2nd as I use them for a 9mm ar15 and my 9mm handguns and with subsonic ammo they are very quite. But without any question the .22 cans are by far the most used of all. They transition from dedicated .22 ar15's, to my bolt action .22, to the walther p22. They are just amazingly quite with subsonic ammo especially out of my bolt .22 and the p22. I wouldn't say that owning one is a necessity and money could probably be spent somewhere else, but if its been on your mind for a year or two to get one. Get one and you will be happy you did. Just do a little research and buy one like you said for multiple applications and you should be good to go.

I have several and so far a couple of things i learned are:

1. .22's are really fun and the most used, so spend some money and get one that can handle being dipping in the 50/50 vineger/hydrogen peroxide. makes cleaning way easier. A 22 can should be at the top of everyones list.

2. I have been pretty dissappointed with suppressing my AR15's, really dirty, I have tried two different cans and they both heart my ears because the DI and action are really loud.

3. Buy a 30 cal can such as a 7.62sd, that can be used on a handful of different guns. 1200 bux will get you the can 2-3 mounts. this is way cheaper than spending 3k plus two get the same thing. I currently have 4 mounts for my 7.62 sd and it only takes about 10 seconds to swap from one to another, and its pretty quiet.

CJG

They are worth the hassle to me. I rarely shoot anything that isn't suppressed these days.
IMG_0029.jpg