• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear OPS-CORE NFMI plugs only

Gil P.

Blank
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Has anyone tried the plugs only under earmuffs? I'm not willing to spend 1k on their earmuffs.

Currently using Comtac Vs with fomies underneath. Ears will still ring if plugs aren't touching my brain. I'm wondering if the ops core would be better.

Reactions: Feesh
The NFMI plugs aren't going to amplify/play sound unless the ear-pro supports NFMI.... So they will just be really expensive foamies unless you use them with the ops core.

I personally don't think the OPS-CORE NFMI plugs do as good a job as plain-foamies if you compared them just one-to-one.

Their value is that you can double them up with the ops core headset and you get the benefits of doubling up, and still able to hear whats going on around you.

Ops Core headset does a better job than comtac or sordins did for me, for what it's worth. When I use ops core + foamies or ops core + NFMI plugs, I don't get any ringing

Reactions: Gil P. and Secant
The best plugs I’ve ever found are the orange foamies. I have fairly expensive custom molded plugs that don’t work as well as foam plugs. Just push them in until they touch each other and you’re good. If they don’t have a bit of brain juice on them when you take them out, you’re not using them correctly.

Reactions: Feesh
The best plugs I’ve ever found are the orange foamies. I have fairly expensive custom molded plugs that don’t work as well as foam plugs. Just push them in until they touch each other and you’re good. If they don’t have a bit of brain juice on them when you take them out, you’re not using them correctly.
I lost a Howard Leight MAX foamie in my ear canal once. That was painful. I do try to insert them so that the flange just barely sticks out.

The NFMI plugs aren't going to amplify/play sound unless the ear-pro supports NFMI.... So they will just be really expensive foamies unless you use them with the ops core.

I personally don't think the OPS-CORE NFMI plugs do as good a job as plain-foamies if you compared them just one-to-one.

Their value is that you can double them up with the ops core headset and you get the benefits of doubling up, and still able to hear whats going on around you.

Ops Core headset does a better job than comtac or sordins did for me, for what it's worth. When I use ops core + foamies or ops core + NFMI plugs, I don't get any ringing
That's good to know. I'll stay away from the ops core stuff.

Just looked into foamies as I just ran out of my fav 3M 1100 orange foamies.
I thought they were the best ever, but I found 3M makes even better ear plugs (on paper, at least).

But first, don’t rely just on NRR or SNR ratings. You have to try them and you should look at their whole frequency chart as small arms gunfire peaks in a specific Hz.

TL;DR
For a hearing pro you’re looking at, search for “attenuation chart”. Look for the mean attenuation numbers in the 900-1500 Hz range. Higher is better. But remember, dB scale is not linear (small diffs=a lot), I think top NRR peaks at 33 or 34 as sound bypasses your muffs/plugs and travels through your bones and into your ear, aaaand I’m not a doctor.

DETAIL
The orange 3M 1100 at NRR 29 were WAY quieter than some other brands with higher NRR. Basically, some brands game the NRR by having great high frequency dB reduction but that’s not what you need for gunfire. Btw NRR & SNR are some sort of rough “average” of a number of frequencies. SNR tends to be more used in Europe.

I’m no audiologist, but my research indicates that for small arms fire (i.e. rifles) the frequencies you want the most protection at peak at the 900-1,500 Hz range, with 150-2,500 Hz being the overall small arms range (source, look in abstract). I’ve attached 3M’s pdf with the whole Hz chart…this type of chart is what you want to see if you’re comparing ear pro.

Although I’ve read the companies do their own testing…but anyway, this is the best we’ve got. Perhaps it will be hard to compare two different company’s plugs but hopefully you can reliably compare the SAME company’s plugs to one another.

I just got the three models of 3M plugs below today and haven’t used them in anger yet…just popped them in while in my house. They seem quieter than the 1100. Letting you guys know what I came up with because I fucking slaved away at 3M’s shitty website and literature to just figure out wtf they are selling. They sell a million different and very similar-sounding plugs.

Looking at their entire frequency chart (attached), 3M’s highest dB reduction for gunfire foamies in the 900-1500 Hz and even 150-2500 Hz seem to be the Classic Plus at NRR 33:
(These seem awfully long, however)

The regular Classics are the same construction/shape as above but just shorter, and thus are NRR 29:
(they come in 200 bulk packs too)

Both the Classic’s above are non-tapering cylinders and are sorta stiff, but didn’t have too much expanding force and didn’t hurt my ears in the short time I had them in.

3M makes a different feeling plug called E-A-Rsoft Yellow Neons, also at NRR 33. These are tapered like my 1100’s but really squishy, not foamy, and during the 30 sec I had them in my ear they expanded with some force. These suckers might hurt me after a while.

If you’re wondering, the 1100’s are constructed more like the Classic model (not exactly, but they are stiff like the Classics) but as mentioned the 1100’s are tapered.

Fit is all important, obviously. Awesome NRR plugs that are too small ain’t gonna do squat, and painful plugs you won’t wear. And I found a number of plugs in the attached pdf that have been discontinued. FYI.

I’ll report back once I figure out which, if any, will replace my 1100’s even though I’ll prob get the Ops-Core AMP + NFMI plugs for certain situations for ease of talking combined with good protection.

Attachments

• A bunch of 3M ear pro attenuation charts.pdf
    501.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: Gil P. and DustBun
Had a shitty internet connection for a bit, but I finally managed to upload the chart. All better.

Reactions: Gil P.
I've had good results from Decibullz - these are in-ear models that come with a mouldable outer that you custom-fit to your own outer ear.

They have straight-up foamie styles available, as well as more expensive noise attenuation models.

I run these permanently at the range - if the range is live, an active over-ear headset is on top. With both on, I can still hear conversation, but they reduce gunfire well.

If people are not *meant* to be firing, the headset/earphones come off, but the Decibullz stay in - has stopped me a coupe of times from copping a blast when someone has fired when they're not meant to and/or when we all through the line had finished.

One added benefit of the Decibullz is that you don't need to push in foamies and run the risk of them getting stuck - they're attached to the outer ear. And yes, they're replaceable.

I tried the decibullz. The moldable outer is not as good as a custom molded ear plug and the inner ear plug is not as good as a regular foam plug. All told, I wasn’t impressed.

Reactions: Gil P.
Although I have the Ops-Core AMP's with NFMI plugs, I mostly use the 3M E-A-R Skull Screws (NRR 32 dB). The 3M plugs will seal much better than the foams on the NFMI's in my opinion.

Although I have the Ops-Core AMP's with NFMI plugs, I mostly use the 3M E-A-R Skull Screws (NRR 32 dB). The 3M plugs will seal much better than the foams on the NFMI's in my opinion.

The 3M Skull Screw design is one of, if not, the biggest innovation in Ear Pro to come along in a long time... I got some for my kid because he's too young for custom plugs (still growing) but I was never confident he was putting the foamies in correctly and getting a good seal.

The Skull Screws are so easy, even Marines can probably use them right (if they don't eat them first).

• Haha
Reactions: DustBun
The 3M Skull Screw design is one of, if not, the biggest innovation in Ear Pro to come along in a long time... I got some for my kid because he's too young for custom plugs (still growing) but I was never confident he was putting the foamies in correctly and getting a good seal.

The Skull Screws are so easy, even Marines can probably use them right (if they don't eat them first).
Luckily I was in the Air Force. I knew not to eat them but struggled which orifice they were for at first until I saw a Navy guy put them in the "wrong" orifice. Then I had it figured out. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: CK1.0
I thought they were the best ever, but I found 3M makes even better ear plugs (on paper, at least).

But first, don’t rely just on NRR or SNR ratings. You have to try them and you should look at their whole frequency chart as small arms gunfire peaks in a specific Hz.

TL;DR
For a hearing pro you’re looking at, search for “attenuation chart”. Look for the mean attenuation numbers in the 900-1500 Hz range. Higher is better. But remember, dB scale is not linear (small diffs=a lot), I think top NRR peaks at 33 or 34 as sound bypasses your muffs/plugs and travels through your bones and into your ear, aaaand I’m not a doctor.

DETAIL
The orange 3M 1100 at NRR 29 were WAY quieter than some other brands with higher NRR. Basically, some brands game the NRR by having great high frequency dB reduction but that’s not what you need for gunfire. Btw NRR & SNR are some sort of rough “average” of a number of frequencies. SNR tends to be more used in Europe.

I’m no audiologist, but my research indicates that for small arms fire (i.e. rifles) the frequencies you want the most protection at peak at the 900-1,500 Hz range, with 150-2,500 Hz being the overall small arms range (source, look in abstract). I’ve attached 3M’s pdf with the whole Hz chart…this type of chart is what you want to see if you’re comparing ear pro.

Although I’ve read the companies do their own testing…but anyway, this is the best we’ve got. Perhaps it will be hard to compare two different company’s plugs but hopefully you can reliably compare the SAME company’s plugs to one another.

I just got the three models of 3M plugs below today and haven’t used them in anger yet…just popped them in while in my house. They seem quieter than the 1100. Letting you guys know what I came up with because I fucking slaved away at 3M’s shitty website and literature to just figure out wtf they are selling. They sell a million different and very similar-sounding plugs.

Looking at their entire frequency chart (attached), 3M’s highest dB reduction for gunfire foamies in the 900-1500 Hz and even 150-2500 Hz seem to be the Classic Plus at NRR 33:

The regular Classics are the same construction/shape as above but just shorter, and thus are NRR 29:

Both the Classic’s above are non-tapering cylinders and are sorta stiff, but didn’t have too much expanding force and didn’t hurt my ears in the short time I had them in.

3M makes a different feeling plug called E-A-Rsoft Yellow Neons, also at NRR 33. These are tapered like my 1100’s but really squishy, not foamy, and during the 30 sec I had them in my ear they expanded with some force. These suckers might hurt me after a while.

If you’re wondering, the 1100’s are constructed more like the Classic model (not exactly, but they are stiff like the Classics) but as mentioned the 1100’s are tapered.

Fit is all important, obviously. Awesome NRR plugs that are too small ain’t gonna do squat, and painful plugs you won’t wear. And I found a number of plugs in the attached pdf that have been discontinued. FYI.

I’ll report back once I figure out which, if any, will replace my 1100’s even though I’ll prob get the Ops-Core AMP + NFMI plugs for certain situations for ease of talking combined with good protection.
Those orange 3M 1100s sound like what I need.

TL;DR

DETAIL

You're right about their website. It's a pain trying to sort through all the different types of plugs. Ill try a few from your list. The ear soft ones aren't advertised for gunfire, but if they reduce noise in the proper frequency, they should work. I'll give them a try as well.

Reactions: carbonbased
I'll give them a try. Do you like the regular Flents or the "quiet contour" ones?
I use these now:

"Flents Foam Ear Plugs, 50 Pair for Sleeping, Snoring, Loud Noise, Traveling, Concerts, Construction, & Studying, Contour to Ear, NRR 33, Clear, Made in the USA"

I used to use the Max Leight NRR33's (orange ones) but they stopped sealing in my ear for some reason. I wear earplugs alot....

I use these now:

"Flents Foam Ear Plugs, 50 Pair for Sleeping, Snoring, Loud Noise, Traveling, Concerts, Construction, & Studying, Contour to Ear, NRR 33, Clear, Made in the USA"

I used to use the Max Leight NRR33's (orange ones) but they stopped sealing in my ear for some reason. I wear earplugs alot....

Same experience with the Howard Leight MAX. My ear holes have gotten looser after all the penetration.

Why don't these ear pro companies just fill their earmuffs with lead? I'll get used to the weight.

I prefer the foam ear plugs. But always found it difficult to roll the foam and get the plug fully seated in my ears.

A few years ago, I found these and have been very happy with them. No need to roll the foam plug. Just pull up on your outer ear and push the plug into the canal. Note that the NRR is on 28dB.

Available on Amazon...
Howard Leight by Honeywell TrustFit Pod Push-in Reusable Foam Earplugs

1673384085059.png

1673384109892.png

Reactions: CK1.0