• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Ops Inc 12th 22cal - will it work for 22LR?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Just got the Ops Inc 12th model, the 22 cal version for 223/5.56 for my Mk12.

I was curious that if I got the brake and collar setup installed onto my Lilja barrel would this setup and suppressor work well with the 22LR? What gave me this thought was that the can says 22 caliber on the side (obviously since its for 223/5.56) but would it be safe to use match grade 22LR with it?

Can you do it...yes. Would I do it...no. Why foul up your nice centerfire can with all the crap that goes along with shooting rimfires when great rimfire cans are cheap and most can be fairly easily cleaned? Other than avoiding the wait and dealing with the process for a new can, I cannot think of a positive for using a centerfire rifle can on a rimfire.

My rimfire cans get probably get used more often than my centerfire cans...I know for a fact that they have seen more rounds through each and I own more rimfire cans than centerfire.

I've shot a lot of .22 rim fire through an ops inc 22 cal suppressor. After a couple hundred rounds I always put it back on a center fire rifle and blow the powder chunks out. It will not be as quiet or as light as a good rim fire suppressor though.

I've shot a lot of .22 rim fire through an ops inc 22 cal suppressor. After a couple hundred rounds I always put it back on a center fire rifle and blow the powder chunks out. It will not be as quiet or as light as a good rim fire suppressor though.

Did you ever weigh the suppressors that you shoot .22LR through? I've heard folks say that following up .22LR with 5.56 full power will clear the suppressor of the carbon but the argument always remains weather the led vapor deposited on inside a sealed suppressor ever really comes out. I think weighing the suppressor before use and after every 500 rounds or so might help shed some light on that subject.

.22LR ammo vaporizes lead that then cools and builds up on the baffles. Firing centerfire thru the 12th model would get some of the lead deposits out but it'll never get all of it. I'd never shoot 22LR thru any sealed can.