• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors ops inc 12th 5.56 opened up to 6.5??

824jeffg

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
Forney TX
been searching for a can for another Grendel build, I know the easiest route would be to just run a 30 cal can but I like the dimensions of the smaller 12th model, I am going to be running a 20" barrel and considering the small case capacity of the Grendel compared to bore dia. would the small 12th have enough volume to be effective?

googled to no avail if its been covered before feel free to post a link

Re: ops inc 12th 5.56 opened up to 6.5??

I would too would say just go with the .30 cal can, as most shooters eventually end up with a .30 cal rifle.

You need to speak with Ron Allen:
(530)742-3248

FELONY ALERT: I looked into this about 4 months ago, wanting to open up a 5.56 can to .30.

Apparently, there are two things you can't legally do to a supressor, (1)change the tube length, (2) change the caliber.

These two dimemesions must remain as registered.

You can make the tube shorter.

Baffles can be opened up for "repair" but not because you want to change caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocker17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can make the tube shorter.

Baffles can be opened up for "repair" but not because you want to change caliber.

</div></div>
I stand by my original statement.
From BATF NFA FAQ:

Q: May a Federal Firearms Licensee repair a silencer by replacing worn or damaged components?
A person who is licensed under the Gun Control Act (GCA) to manufacture firearms and who has paid the special (occupational) tax to manufacture National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms may replace a component part or parts of a silencer. Repairs may not be done if they result in removal, obliteration, or alteration of the serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). If a silencer part bearing the serial number, other than the outer tube, must be replaced, the new part must be marked with the same serial number as the replacement part.

The term “repair” does not include replacement of the outer tube of the silencer. The outer tube is the largest single part of the silencer, the main structural component of the silencer, and is the part to which all other component parts are attached. The replacement of the outer tube is so significant an event that it amounts to the “making” of a new silencer. As such, the new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.

In the event that identical replacement parts for a silencer are not available, new and different component parts may be used as long as the silencer retains the same dimensions and caliber. In addition, the repair may result in a minimal reduction in the length of the outer tube due to rethreading, but repair may not increase the length of the outer tube. Increasing the length of the outer tube significantly affects the performance of the silencer and results in the “making” of a new silencer. As stated above, a new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA. Reducing the length of the tube by a minimal amount in order to repair a silencer is often necessary to replace damaged end caps, as the tube must be rethreaded. Such minimal reduction of the length of the tube uses all of the original parts, does not significantly affect performance of the silencer, and may be done as part of a repair process without making a new silencer.

Persons other than qualified manufacturers may repair silencers, but replacement parts are “silencers” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) that must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.

Q: May the outer tube of a registered silencer be repaired due to damage? If so, may the repair be done by someone other than the original manufacturer?
A damaged outer tube may be repaired by any Federal firearms licensee qualified to perform gunsmithing or by the registered owner. The repair may not alter the dimensions or caliber of the silencer, except that the length of the outer tube may be reduced, as set forth above. The repair may not be performed if it results in the removal, obliteration, or alteration of the serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). In that case, the silencer may be returned to the registered owner in its original, damaged condition or destroyed. A replacement silencer must be registered and transferred to the registrant of the damaged silencer in the same manner as a new silencer, subject to the registration and transfer procedures of the NFA and GCA.

Delta P offers a thread on can in 6.5

Give them a look.

I use two, 6.8 cans for my 6.5 Creedmoor and my Grendel. One I got from you Robert. 6.8 Surefire and they work great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocker17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can make the tube shorter.

</div></div>

You cannot alter the tube that is the serialized part. You cant replace baffles only. You cant open them up changing the caliber. The BATFE are very specific about this.

You are correct, you cant replace. I have seen 2 30 cans that had baffle strikes repaired by EDM work to remove damaged portion. Either would pass for a .338 can afterwards.

To my knowledge ATF does NOT prohibit this type of repair.

Likewise, as cans are jailbroken and recored by a different SOT, who determines what the "correct" baffle diameter is? If my new baffles were large enough to pass a .338 projectile, who would be able to question that fact?

I shot my OPS INC 12th 7.62 with great results on my 6.5 Grendel....It worked perfectly. I dont know why you would not go that way, no mods, too easy. use one can for 6.5 to 300 WM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocker17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are correct, you cant replace. I have seen 2 30 cans that had baffle strikes repaired by EDM work to remove damaged portion. Either would pass for a .338 can afterwards.

To my knowledge ATF does NOT prohibit this type of repair.

Likewise, as cans are jailbroken and recored by a different SOT, who determines what the "correct" baffle diameter is? If my new baffles were large enough to pass a .338 projectile, who would be able to question that fact? </div></div>

You said you could shorten the tube and you cannot do that.

They could "pass" for 338 cans? How so? What exactly did EDM replace?

Correct diameter of the baffles would be kept on hand with the manufacturer and if the ATF did choose to pursue the matter all they would have to do is ask for the manufacturers renderings. That would give them the size they are made to at their facility.

Contact Ron at ops inc, I am fairly sure he'll hook you up.
I have a 12th. in 6.8... works great....