• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic Choice

Scold

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Ok guys I have a quick question. I work at a hunting shop and the vast majority of my shooting has been hunting related; but recently I have gotten into the whole black rifle and tactical shooting scene. I currently have an AR with a 20" LaRue Tactical Stealth upper, and I am trying to figure out which optic to put on it. The reason that I brought up the hunting shop part is that I can get a great deal on Nikon, Leupold, and Zeiss. I do not want to spend a fortune, so figure that the most I would want a scope to retail for is 750-800. Which scope (and retical choice) from those lines would be best if I want to shoot in the 100-300 yard ranges and do some occasional coyote hunting?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for my newbness
smile.gif

Re: Optic Choice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my Burris XTR 1-4x24 with the 5.56 BDC reticle. I have one for sale in the optics section.
</div></div>

The OP says he can get a great deal on Nikon, Leupold and Zeiss and you recommend Burris. (Flight attendant, "we have a choice of meals on the flight this evening, chicken or fish." ChardTRG42 replies, "I'll have the lasagna.")

To the OP. For the distance you are looking at a 2.5-10 , 3-12 or 4-16 is going to be something to look at. With your discount, I would look at the higher end models for Nikon (Monarch or Monarch Gold) or in the Zeiss Conquest line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my Burris XTR 1-4x24 with the 5.56 BDC reticle. I have one for sale in the optics section.
</div></div>

The OP says he can get a great deal on Nikon, Leupold and Zeiss and you recommend Burris. (Flight attendant, "we have a choice of meals on the flight this evening, chicken or fish." ChardTRG42 replies, "I'll have the lasagna.")

To the OP. For the distance you are looking at a 2.5-10 , 3-12 or 4-16 is going to be something to look at. With your discount, I would look at the higher end models for Nikon (Monarch or Monarch Gold) or in the Zeiss Conquest line. </div></div>

Haha, thanks for the response buddy. That is what I was figuring, but I just needed to hear it from someone else.

I would get a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x50mm with a mildot reticule or TMR. This scope has plenty of elevation should you want to shoot farther and is great for the ranges you are speaking of. A 14x scope is plenty of magnification at 300yrds. I have a LaRue Stealth upper myself and I am in the process of geting a compact NF 2.5x10x24 with a NP-R2 reticule for it. But since you can get a good deal on Leupold scopes I would go that route. LaRue makes a great upper and you should put some nice glass on there. They claim its a 3/4 MOA upper so you will need a nice scope to take advantage of what you have.

I'm thinking you should go with a Zeiss Conquest with the rapid Z800 reticle and target knobs probably a 4.5-14x50. You wont get into the Mk4 scopes for that kind of money and may not even be able to afford the target knobs but Zeiss will put them on aftermarket if you cant afford them right now. The Zeiss would be the better glass. You could go mildot and just dial in correction but coyotes move fairly fast. One other though is a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 with the amber post zero it at 200 and know where it hits at 100 and 300 most of your coyote shots would be mid range and fast. The illumination and 5.6mm exit eye pupil at 10x is a low light winner.

I really like this response, and I think I may just do the trijicon. I use to LOVE leupold.... absolutely love them; and if I was having to decide on which scope to get 5 years ago, I would w/o a doubt be buying a leupy. But having dealt with customers who have had to send stuff back repeatedly and their outsourcing of materials... It makes me want to go in a different direction. The more I think about it the more I want to get the trijicon.

Thanks again guys for the advice, and I'm certain I will be pestering you with more questions that I can't find answers to by searching.

Shoot safe.

Edit: I forgot to add that I can also get the trijicons as well. I'm so use to dealing with their ACOG line that I totally forgot about the accupoints
smile.gif
I think this is the bugger that I may be picking up... how does this look to you guys? http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=680&back_row=2&categoryID=5

The Accupoints are made well for the cash! Seems like a good setup. I personaly would go with somthing like an Eotech or Aimpoint with magnifier. That way you have the best of both worlds but if hunting is the guns sole purpose then a scope shall it be.

Having had the dot Trijicon (albeit a 3-9) I would not suggest it.
The dot is really small and the only thing illuminated.
The two legged post with the big bright triangle on top is a far brighter rig and a fine hunting scope. I have seen only a marginal
difference in group size which might make a difference shooting Gophers at 300 yards but is far outweighed by the rapid acquisition of the big triangle, especially in low light situations.The actual optics are as good as VX II, but the reticle is what makes a Tijicon. My 338 Federal 84 NRA Kimber and 308 16" TAC DPMS.

DSCN1898.jpg

DSCN2714.jpg