• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic for 7mm REM Mag hunting rifle….need fast

clubmanager

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
Very long story but end result is I need an optic for this rifle quickly as I’m hunting this weekend. I will of course look around locally but need advice re: this optic/caliber. If all goes to crap, I’ve a backup plan using an AR10/thermal.
Im even open to someone moving their optic but will need fast shipping.
Bolt action with pic rail, distance no more than 300 yards given known terrain this weekend; might be best to think 500 yard max shots at the range but I won’t shoot a deer at more than 300 yards in any case. Thanks!
Edit: prefer mil, illuminated reticle and budget is $1K or less….FFP if possible. Trying to stay away from China but that may be too much to ask given budget.

Not sure I would be looking at a FFP scope for hunting, especially under 300 yards or even 500 yards. My first thought is one of the Leupold CDS scopes. I know you won’t have time to get a custom dial made, but it doesn’t matter under 300 yards anyway, not to mention they come with a MOA dial from the factory.

FFP scopes are going to be heavy and have difficult to see reticles at lower powers. I have a Leupold VX2 2-7 on my 270 I’ve used for over 20 years for the same purpose and I’ve never felt the need for more magnification.

Locally, there is a Bass Pro Shop and small gun dealers. Brands I know are available are Leupold, Vortex, Athlon for sure. I’d guess there might be some Burris, Nightforce as well. I’m a Trijicon fan and love Accupoint for this role, just not sure for this caliber. That’s why I’m asking about something with caliber in mind.
Ideally I’d get the optic before Sunday and sight it in that afternoon before going to the stand. Buddy has a 200y range on property.
The ‘easy button’ is probably a Vortex of some sort

The Leupold glass will be better. You couldn’t go wrong with this:

If you want better glass, step up to the VX3HD or VX5 HD with similar reticles, some illuminated, all within your stated budget.

First, for your stated need, a 3-9 power scope with a standard duplex reticle is just fine.
Folks, especially many on here, think you must use a tactical style scope for everything.
Sight in for maximum point blank range, aim and shoot. You have to know your load, regardless of whether you are using MPBR or dialing.
FFP is nice, again, not required.
The Credo 4-16 would suit your needs, it is SFP, not sure how fast they will ship, but this is a steal at this price.

The Vortex Viper PST is on sale at Midway, the 3-15 is the one you want, this is an incredible deal:

I just bought this one from primary arms. It's not ffp, but it is mil and illuminated. I may be the minority on this site, but I prefer sfp on most my hunting rifles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221115-085930_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-085930_Chrome.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 69
I’ll give it a look….any thoughts on Vortex Viper? The Gen 1’s seem a great deal.
Why Gen I? There’s a reason for Gen II’s.

I have one on a whitetail rifle in 3-15 and for the price I’m quite happy. Have shot at game to 250 yds w it but would stretch that to 300 if needed w/o worry. Low light performance is better than I expected and I’ve had no issues w it on a .308. And Vortex warranty is indeed bullet proof.

Now, I’m no expert in any of this but would suggest taking a serious look at them.

Here you go:

Very long story but end result is I need an optic for this rifle quickly as I’m hunting this weekend. I will of course look around locally but need advice re: this optic/caliber. If all goes to crap, I’ve a backup plan using an AR10/thermal.
Im even open to someone moving their optic but will need fast shipping.
Bolt action with pic rail, distance no more than 300 yards given known terrain this weekend; might be best to think 500 yard max shots at the range but I won’t shoot a deer at more than 300 yards in any case. Thanks!
Edit: prefer mil, illuminated reticle and budget is $1K or less….FFP if possible. Trying to stay away from China but that may be too much to ask given budget.
It’s MOA, but it has a BDC you can learn your drops using the Strelok app. This would be your ideal scope for your situation, Hunting inside of 500 yards. Best glass in its price range, too.

ZEISS Conquest V4 Riflescope w/Elevation Ballistic Stop, 4-16x50mm, 30mm Tube .25 MOA 522945-9968-080 https://a.co/d/a2F76tc

Reactions: Aftermath
With 7mm magnum, you can get somewhere near 275 yards as a point blank and a 6" diameter target, +3" about 175 and -3" about 315. Increase that target to 10" diameter and you can get out to about 400.
For deer/elk sized critters, and my style of hunting, either is sufficient for no dialing. I use the former. See the animal, point and shoot. If it looks sorta close, aim a hair low, looks a fair piece away, aim a hair high. Looks like its a long ways off? Get out the LRF and range it.
The rifle I use most often to hunt with is a 280Ackley and a Swaro z5 with their BRH. I have verified all of the other stadia lines at 3 different zoom levels and all is written on a dope card I have taped to the buttstock. REAL handy, very fast.

Last edited:
I have a leupold 3-15x42 firedot illuminated reticle I was thinking of selling. I could sell with rings and ship today if interested

ETA Also have an athlon ares ETR I'd sell

This started as a very grey area WTB thread outside of the PX by someone that doesn’t pay for access and now has someone offering a scope for sale outside of the PX by someone who doesn’t pay for access.

How dumb can you be?

Reactions: DIBBS
This started as a very grey area WTB thread outside of the PX by someone that doesn’t pay for access and now has someone offering a scope for sale outside of the PX by someone who doesn’t pay for access.

How dumb can you be?
The OP never said anything about buying a scope from someone on here. He asked what was best scope for his rifle and hunting situation.

The dude who offered one for sale, is the only person who broke the rules that I’m aware of…