• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic for an AR15

Valyndiir

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Houston, Texas
I am looking at an IOR 3-18x42 MOA/MOA with their MP8 reticle for an AR15. Seems like it might be a little heavy, but the plan is to have a scope on top and an offset Fastfire III reflex or something. Sort of like I have seen some competition AR's set up with. Really I don't know that much about this stuff, I just think it would be fun to run through some courses for practice. So I'm sort of winging it by trying to understand why Jerry Miculek or JP rifles and whoever else has their guns set up the way they do. I'm not sure if they use fixed powers with specific reticles for ranging or what. Presently the only scope I have at the moment is an NF NXS 3.5-15x56 NP-R1 mounted on an AR10. It has proven to be pretty friendly to an average shooting noob. Would this scope be appropriate for 3-gun or any AR meant to be very fast at aquiring targets? I know my NF scope at 3.5 power has been very effective at taking out multiple wild hogs at once. Just looking for input as I'm a little confused as to what I want to do. I know I love using the reflex sights because they are much faster than irons. Thank you for your time.

Re: Optic for an AR15

Is this AR a 223 AR or a 308 AR? I personally think that is way too much optic if this is for a 223. I would go more with a 1 x 6 or 1 x 8 optic for that type of rifle and you will be much lighter and a lot more handy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body">POF .223</div></div> yea, way too much optic and it will make it heavy as the POF is already heavy to begin with. I am not sure of how much you want to spend and that will give a better idea of what to give you ideas about. Lots of nice optics out in the 1 x 10 range and the most I would put on their 2.5 x 10 but I would rather do a 1 x 6 or 8 if it were me.

Agreed, for a 223, you should really stay below 6x power on the top end. There is no need to go much further with that particular round.

Vortex
SWFA
Bushnell

They all put out a really nice 1-6x type optic and Bushnell is actually just coming out with a 1-8.5x as well.

What kind of budget are you looking at playing with?

I would defintely look at a 1 to something below 10 optic. Unless this is a precision style ar like a MK12 clone or something of that nature there is no reason to put a high power scope. You can easily run a 1-4 or 1-6 when you are running 'tactical' style classes only allowing one optic on the rifle then if you want to goto an open class you can add the fast fire on and run the optic at its higher setting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reaper130</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, what is your price range? </div></div>

Well I am okay with something in the $500-1200 range. I like to make quality purchases when I plan on keeping things for a very long time. I definitely like my NXS 3.5-15x56 on which I spent $1700. I felt I splurged a little on it, but everyone says they are worth every penny. I'm certainly not looking for a $3000 S&B or USO by any means.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reaper130</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, for a 223, you should really stay below 6x power on the top end. There is no need to go much further with that particular round.

Vortex
SWFA
Bushnell

They all put out a really nice 1-6x type optic and Bushnell is actually just coming out with a 1-8.5x as well.

What kind of budget are you looking at playing with? </div></div>

Those plus Leupold VX-R Patrol are good options, I looked at all those. I ended up with the Vortex 1-4x24 and am loving it. Almost got the SWFA 1-4 cause FFP rules but couldn't part with $300 more. I can vouch for the Vortex, though.