• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic help (PLEASE) Trijicon 6x48 or Leupold mark 6 1-6

*Bones*

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
VA, Newport News
I really could use a little help in the choice between these two optics. I will be mounting it on top of a SCAR 17s. Its primary role will be white tail, bear possibly hogs with the occasional just for fun shooting. I want to keep meat in the fridge. I have been doing my google foo and have looked at the pros and cons and wanted to get some others input. I know the Trijicon green is a beast at 36 oz while the Leupold 7.62 is 17oz with no mount. If Leupold is the one it will be in a OBR from Larue. I love the fact that the glass on the Trijicon is crystal clear, the fact that there are no batteries and no moving parts. What I like about the Leupolds is the fact I own a couple and they have always been good to me as well as liking the ret on the mark 6 1-6 however it is similar to the Trijicon.

Thank you in advance & please dont bash me to hard. I am just looking for some help and or advice.

Bones

I would also love it if someone could point me in the direction that would be less than retail. That would be great. I am no longer DOD and am now home with my family working a "a real job" however I am home every night with my family. Thanks and God Speed to all of you that are still out and about.

Bones

I think you stated the differences quite well in your first post. So it depends on how you want to employ the weapon. The weight of the Trijicon is a deal breaker for me. I put a Mk6 1x6 on my 16" LWRC REPR and am pleased. So far it's been rock solid. The illumination of the "red-dot" on 1x is a bit finicky. Not as fast as a true Aimpoint, but overall I think it's a good compromise for a 6x optic. I do enjoy the fact that it's pretty light weight. The more I shoot with it the more comfortable and pleased I am with the optic. Until something vastly better comes along it's staying.

Watch the for sale forum for a used one or contact one of the site sponsors and ask for a SnipersHide deal.

Thanks for your service.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I really could and can use all I can get as my money is hard to come by now days with no hazard pay or per diem. I know the Trijicons glass is crystal clear but the weight is hard to overcome. oz = lbs and lbs equal pain. I have and a Leupold VXR in "Zombie" mounted in an spr-1 if I recall. I know its corny but I love the 7.62 ret and the green dot with the auto on off function as well as a mark 4 16x. I really want to insure the Mark 6 1-6 is as clear or better in optical clarity than the Trijicon. I also want to thank Fongman for the insight on the optic at 1x. The Us optic 1-6 with the JNG ret almost vanished at 1x. being able to use the optic at 1x I feel is pretty important and so is the idea of being able to range out my targets so the second focal plane I dont think is going to work all that well. I also want to thank you for the link to Liberty Optics. I contacted Scott and spoke with him for a short time on my wants and uses. He spent the time to speak with me even on his day off. SCHWEET! He suggested a Mark 8 1-8 which I didnt consider however the price is a tad well a couple of tads higher. What ever it may be I want to insure that the optic is functional at 1x as well as in its full range for my intended purposes.

All any any help or exp is really welcome and truly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Bones

Last edited:
The glass on the Mk6 is exceptional. I was worried about that as well, but it is a huge improvement over my Mk4 scopes. I doubt you'd be disappointed with the glass. On 1X the Mk6 has adequate eye relief, but you really need to manage recoil well to keep the picture full and clean. Nothing practice can not over come. The brightness level of the dot is daylight visible. It's basically about 10 power on a T1, but the T1 goes to 12. The only time I've noticed the dot wash out is against a reflective backdrop during a very bright day. Fortunately, the Mk6 reticle is large enough that even without the red-dot lit, there is a definite aiming point. Downside to that size of a reticle is that the ret begins to overwhelm targets 700 yds and out.

The MK8 is not a true 1X it's 1.1 or something. I have not shot with it, but at SHOT I noticed there is still a level of distortion evident that is not there with the Mk6. It's also heavier and as you've noted much more expensive.

You need to define the ranges you'd like to shoot this weapon scope combo. I wanted a optic for a semi-precision battle rifle, that would be useful and adequate from 0 - 600 yards. One that was light-weight and had good glass. IMO the Mk6 delivers. I'm sure there are other optics that will do the same, but I'm satisfied.

Hope that helps.

just got a trijicon back from their repair department stating it could not be fixed. the scope was dropped 18". they do not stand behnd their product.
they would give me 40% off retail if i wanted. no thanks.

Trijicon is nice and clear but HEAVY and bulky as you said. I've used the trijicon a lot but MUCH prefer my mk6 in every way. Yes, lit reticle needs batts BUT, you still have a good day optic with very good low light transmission. I am shocked at these new leupold's after taking a 4-5 year break from leupold with no thought of return. Well now; I have a cqbss and a mk6 1-6x.

Mk6 and don't look back! Bought mine for CS.

Really? Trijicon refused to fix the issue. Wow. I dropped a Luppy off the back of a LAV many moons ago and bent the bell housing. It still worked but when I came back I sent it off to Luppy it was taken care of and sent back. That stinks with your exp. I am shocked the Trijicon even broke. I have a Trijicon reflex amber that has been around the block a time or two that is great however its not a magnified piece of glass. It seems like the Luppy m-6 1-6 may be the ticket. I am really wondering how the optical clarity of the glass is still? I sit crystal clear or like slapping on some blue blocker sun glass "DANG!" clear, enhancing stuff? I really do appreciate the advice and everyone sticking to the optics I have come to choose but if there is something I else I should consider I am all ears. I am just going by my own personal relationships with the products being used in my experiences. One quick question. What is the battery life like on the 6?

Bones

Can't answer the batt life as I don't use my illum much on the mk6, but it is fast at 1x. To compare closer on my experience; I have ran the hell out of the ECOS and love it! If I have to choose between the mk6 and the ecos, still mk6.

I'm no glass expert as I like to shoot more than ogle at glass, but I wouldn't hesitate to say the mk6 and mk8 are just as clear as the ECOS and 6x48 if not more clear.

Okay. I dont know why I am stressing.... well yes I do because I have not found the proverbial money tree growing in my backyard yet for buying a great optic tat I wont regret. i just had a buddy call that just came back in town from a trip. Ive not spoken to him in person well over the phone in about 6 or so months. We spoke of what my intentions were and he just had to throw the curve ball and suggest something I have no experience with at all. He suggested "Why dont you check out the Night Force 2.5-10 compact. Jeez.......Why is this becoming so seemingly difficult. He explained to me that it is a second focal plane however range guestimation is not messed with until using the optic over 8x. How much would this effect me? I am guessing 1 1/4" at 10x. Am I correct in my math? I really dont want to have to remember funky add ons for using an optic or am I incorrect? I am still feeling that the Luppy m 6 1-6 may be the correct way to go or have I just hit the Luppy fan club which in fact I am myself.

Really getting confused now,
Bones

IMO for the op's purposes (larger targets), the mk 6 would be fine. Since most of my shooting is on paper and lately i've been working up loads because i cant find my go to powder and bullets i wish my mark 6 tmr reticle was not so busy. i cant precisely place my reticle precisely on a aimingpoint. The illum part of the reticle gets in the way. If i had just a little more magnification i think definitle be better for me. If i had to do it over again i might get a mk 8 or the nf 2.5 -10 compact

IMO for the op's purposes (larger targets), the mk 6 would be fine. Since most of my shooting is on paper and lately i've been working up loads because i cant find my go to powder and bullets i wish my mark 6 tmr reticle was not so busy. i cant precisely place my reticle precisely on a aimingpoint. The illum part of the reticle gets in the way. If i had just a little more magnification i think definitle be better for me. If i had to do it over again i might get a mk 8 or the nf 2.5 -10 compact

What makes you say the NK 2.5-10 since its a 2nd focal plane? I have never been behind a NF Optic. Please elaborate a little

Just saying that for me i just need higher magnification or a finer reticle than the tmr that my mark 6 has would suit me better.

Last edited:

What makes you say the NK 2.5-10 since its a 2nd focal plane? I have never been behind a NF Optic. Please elaborate a little

i didnt mention about anything whether its ffp or 2nd fp. you going to get that from someone else

brother-in-law dropped it off a table. fell onto a chair's arms then to the floor, approx 18" (attached to rifle). my very first thought was that it's a trij and therefore be tough enough for the accident. didn't even look through it at that point. couple of weeks later took it to the range and discovered the problem. sent it to trij repair and they said it was not repairable. sent it back in same condition with the 40% off retail letter. this per "jimmy", head of customer service.
i have two acogs, an rmr and two of these scopes. they will be my last trij products.

see previous post^^^

Last edited:
I think I may have narrowed my search down and I think I have made a finial decision. Trijicon is out of the question due to its weight. I am really leaning to the Night Force 2.5-10 mil MIL-R ret. I f anyone has any exp with this optic please chime in. I think the ability to have a little more power would be a nice trade off although I was shooting 5 or 600 rounds today with my VXR Luppy with the green dot and love the ret.

Still looking for a little help.

Which VXR were you shooting?
I'm trying to decide between the VXR Patrol 3-9 and the Vortex PST 2.5-10 x44, both in my price range.

Which VXR were you shooting?
I'm trying to decide between the VXR Patrol 3-9 and the Vortex PST 2.5-10 x44, both in my price range.

I am and still have a VXR 1-4 with the Green SPR ret also sporting the 7.62 168 grain turrets. I really do enjoy it very much for what it is. We had a shoot this past Saturday, mostly machine guns but still I pulled it out with the host it was on and blew the heck out of tannerite and was banging steel placed at various ranges with first shot strikes every time.

I also wanted to pass on that I made my finial decision and purchase with the Night Force 2.5-10 compact with mil & MIL-R ret and Zero stop. I had the chance to use a couple Night Force optics over the weekend and was impressed. I just hope they hold up like my Leupolds have however with the response and all the positive feedback they have it should fit the bill!

I aslo wanted to pass along that the guys at Mile High helped me out and I wanted to give a special thanks to Greg over there as he was very helpful with the process and all the QnA.

Bones

Last edited: