• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OPTICS ADVICE - Best Fit for Sig Sauer Cross (Target Shooting 1000m or less)

VTX1800F

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2021
Kentucky
First, my apologies for the question on this gear as I know most of you deal in top-shelf items. My budget is more middle to low shelf. I have not been exercising my marksmanship skills for almost twenty-five years since leaving the Corps. At the time, I shot expert on the range which was nothing fancy as it was expected of a good Marine.

I recently purchased a Sig Sauer Cross 6.5 Creedmoor and am looking for a good scope and bipod. I will be doing almost exclusively target shooting at 1000 meters or less.

I am interested in these scopes but my mind is open to others that I may have missed. I am only interested in milliradians because that is what I know.

$669 - ATN X-Sight 4K 5-20X Pro 30mm MRAD/MOA
$699 - Crimson Trace 5 Series Tact FFP 3-24x56 34mm MRAD
$847 - Trijicon Tenmile SFP 6-24x50 30mm MRAD
$1112 - Trijicon Tenmile SFP 4-24x50 30mm MRAD
$927 - Trijicon Credo SFP 4-16x50 30mm MRAD
$563 - Crimson Trace Hardline Pro 6 FFP 6-24x50 30mm MRAD

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I was also looking for an Atlas Bipod but am not sure which one would best fit my rifle and use?

ATN, Crimson Trace, and Trijicon... Kind of odd ones to stumble upon, especially the ATN for pure target shooting. I would look at something like this. To me, the best fit for a Cross is a NF 2.5-10x, Vortex LHT, or similar light optic because its a lightweight rifle meant more for hunting and less for range work.

As far as bipod, just get the CAL.

Conversely, if you’re mostly shooting at the range, you might want a little more weight up top to take some of the bite bite out of recoil.

I think the Crimson Trace 3-18 is the best value out there currently. The 3-24 has a polarizing reticle that may not work for you.

Otherwise, there are good deals on 6-24 FFP Sightrons as well.

Last edited:
in that price range. Burris XTR II, Used Cronus BTR, Bushnell DMR2. Those would be what i would recommend. They should do everything you need them to do.

@VTX1800F
Before you drop a bunch of money on some rather obscure scopes, I think it would be well worth your time to invest in spending a weekend watching videos from Ilya's youtube channel and get an idea of how things stack up:

I strongly considered a Crimson Trace scope, as Midway recently had an excellent sale on them. I found numerous complaints in regards to the glass and mechanicals, so I stayed away.

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
Athlon Cronus BTR is going to be the best bang for your buck. Should be able to pick up a barely used one on the PX for around $1000. As far as bipods go, I would recommend the atlas cal.

Reactions: YotaEer
I strongly considered a Crimson Trace scope, as Midway recently had an excellent sale on them. I found numerous complaints in regards to the glass and mechanicals, so I stayed away.

Aside from the 3-24's goody reticle and low illumination, was there any other negatives? The 3-18 us basically the same as the well regarded MPO.

Voltron

Sergeant​

Minuteman
I bought the CT 3-24 from Midway, and I had trouble with the parallax/focus adjustment not being able to focus past about 400yds. I got a replacement sent out, and it wasn't much better and at about 550yds it had the same focus issue. I'm not sure if I got two duds, if there is a engineering/design problem with the scope, or if the optical design isn't sufficient to support a 8x zoom ratio scope in a somewhat short package. I ended up sending both scopes back and bought a Steiner P4XI 4-16x56, and it met my expectations for image quality. The biggest problem I have with optics is that I want alpha level quality, but my budget doesn't afford me the option typically.

The long, short, and curly of my thoughts: Pass on the 3-24x56.

I've seen a few complaints like that, and I'd bet most of them are due to incorrect diopter setting. In the as shipped diopter position, mine would run out of parallax adjustment after 300ish yards with the range increments almost in feet. The 10 yard setting would look great at 10 feet, and the 100 yard setting at 100 feet. Once properly adjusted, the parallax ranges matched actual distances incredibly well.

Also, this $585 Sightron S3 deal just popped up. It lacks the features of other scopes in the price range, but it makes up for it with great optical quality.

The Sig Tango6 3-18 is available under $1,000 for the milling reticles. I haven't looked through one, but seeing as it's a LOW product it should be very nice.

Those refurbed and blemished burris xtrii on natzhez are good deals. I purchased a 5-25x blem a while back and I cant even figure out what the blem is. Vortex PST gen 2 line is solid too. The burris has the better turrets/mechanicals of the two and the PST has better glass in the high mag ranges IMO. Europtic regularly sells floor models for a hundred off and if you call them they'll usually knock another 15 bucks off.

Atlas bipods are solid. I also have an Accutac that I like. If you are doing exclusively target shooting then the Atlas CAL is a really good choice. Make sure to get the one with the ADM mount incase you ever want to change mounting methods. The version with the non QD is non removable unless you dont really plan on taking it on and off.