• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics advice for long range shooting

bruddah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Oregon
Looking into getting a scope for long range shooting. Have done a fair amount of reading, but am looking for advice.

I definitely want high quality (tracking, clarity, etc).

Viper PST?

NF?

USO?

Other??

It will be going on a bolt action .308 to start out with. May move on to other rifles later on. Looking at stretching it out (eventually) to 1,000 - 1,200 yds.

Any and all input greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Best optic at reasonable price, which would be perfect for what you'll need would be Vortex Razor HD 5-20X 50mm available in both MOA and Mil reticles. You will need 20 MOA rail. The only downside is the 35mm tube diameter. Mine is mounted in Suphr mount with built in level. Pricey, but solid. Vortex has lifetime transferrable warranty. Lot's of other good choices available, but I feel this is the best all around set up for the price! Thanks for your service!!!

Last edited:
So what is the question exactly? All of the optics you list are good and each have their own unique strengths and weaknesses. What is your budget? What features are you wanting? The answers to those question will lead you to the optic that is right for you.

Well my budget seems to be changing. The more I read, the more I realize I might have to spend.

At first I was looking at a max of $2,000 + or -

Now after talking with some long range shooters (out to 2,000 yards), I might have opened it up a bit.

I've got good feedback on a Rasor HD and US optics

For some reason I never got notification of replies to this topic?

Anyways, thanks for all your help and consideration on the subject!

If you don't require FFP, I'd go with the NightForce ATACR. If you do require FFP, I would hold out for the NightForce B.E.A.S.T. or go with an S&B PMII as others have suggested.

This is advice from a guy that has spent a shit ton of money:

USO stands for Oh So Slow. Sent a scope in for a second time, USO's response was "We will get to it in a few days". Second time I sent in the same new scope for the same reason. It sat at USO for 3 months. I requested that they just send the fucker back. 714-582-1958, ext. 102. In before General Creedmoor calls me an asshole.

Razor: Bought a 1-6X, it is fucking brilliant. Huge eye box, reasonable price, crisp optics. My choice for 1-6X. $1400 , you are looking at a HD scope. Super daylight visible, the SN-4 has a ranging reticle. Who the fuck cares, it's a 300 yard cartridge. 0-300, just pull the trigger.

S&B: US serviced, not a lot of Hi-Dee-Ho. My next 1-8X, also my next 4-16. To me, 16x is plenty for an AR platform in .308.
Leupold: open that wallet. Guess what? You get really good glass. The 1-8x is stunning, the 3-18 is light, crisp, and a fucking deal.

PM reticles. My 1st choice for my KAC LRP. Could have been a USO T-Pal 3.7-17. Going to be a PR lite on a .223.

Buy specific scopes, not a brand line. Not all manufactures have a flawless line of scopes. There are glistening turds, you just have to sort through the chaff.
Good luck, 997/2 man.

Buy a scope, not a brand of scopes.

Last edited:
Looking into getting a scope for long range shooting. Have done a fair amount of reading, but am looking for advice.

I definitely want high quality (tracking, clarity, etc).

Viper PST?

NF?

USO?

Other??

It will be going on a bolt action .308 to start out with. May move on to other rifles later on. Looking at stretching it out (eventually) to 1,000 - 1,200 yds.

Any and all input greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

If you want SnB quality go with Kahles or Steiner 20 or 25x. If you don't want to goof around then just go for it and get the SnB. Buy once cry once.

Thanks again for the feedback. I appreciate everyone's advice and input.

The instructor I last trained under is pretty adamant about getting a FFP optic.

Additionally, I was looking into getting a Horus style reticle to help with quick windage adjustments. I suppose it will also help with getting extra range should your elevation turret bottom out. Still on the fence about this though.

Last edited:
Check out the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X EBR-2B. FFP Christmas tree reticle-less cluttered than the Horus and very thin etched reticle and open cross hairs even on 20X.

Check out the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X EBR-2B. FFP Christmas tree reticle-less cluttered than the Horus and very thin etched reticle and open cross hairs even on 20X.

That's an excellent choice. Good price, very good power range, great features and awesome customer service.

NF-F1 is worth a look considering your requirements. You might find a deal in the classifieds here since somebody might be selling to finance a BEAST.

I haven't ruled that one out either. Lots of great choices here.

I can tell I've got a lot more research to do.

Right now I think anything $3,000 and up might be out of reach. I just picked up a Noveske yesterday, and a G19 the day before. That dipped SEVERELY into my scope fund. :(

I will also throw out I am seriously looking at scopes that go up to 25X. Not ruling out the 20X at this point, but if I decide to shoot longer than 1,200 later on, I was told 25X is better as far as being able to see smaller targets.

I've also been looking at some of the used optics in the for sale forum, but I am also eyeballing new ones on Optics planet, etc.

My buddy told me you can sometimes find 10% off coupons from Optics planet. That would be huge!

If you're not opposed to getting a slightly used optic there are usually some Premier's that pop up in the for sale section here that are sub $3000

Take a look at the March F 3-24X 42mm-non illuminated. Many good reviews and feedback on it here. One of the best premium FFP scopes available for $2260 from Kelbly Rifles or find a nice used S&B or Nightforce for sales here on the Hide!

I'm in a similar predicament with a 300WM build. It will be on a Surgeon 1086, with a 20MOA integral rail. My question is, with bullet drop say out to a mile is around 100MOA, and say the NF Beast has 120 MOA travel, will I be able to dial in enough elevation to zero out the crosshairs? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this means that I'll have 80MOA to dial up and 40MOA to dial down?

I have the VORTEX PST 4X16 works great out to about 800 meters. I use the VORTEX RAZOR HD when shooting over 800 meters. I do have a S/B on order and yes you do cry just a little when uou place the order.

Check out our Line of March Scopes! They are perfect for long range precision work. FFP 3x-24x for $2230 or a SFP 2.5x-25x for $2130. You can't go wrong with the March. They have the smallest and lightest package, most durable build quality ( I mean the things stand up to a .50 BMG with them mounted BACKWARDS!) We have countless world records and world championships, so you can't disagree that they are the best tracking scope out there! We back everything we say and are always here to help! They are also 12.36" long and a normal 30mm scope tube. They have light transmission of 98% and are built like a tank!

After a bit more research here and abroad, I went with two different optics as I will be getting another long range bolt action down the road.

1) US Optics 5-25x58 SN-3 T-PAL Riflescope - Parallax 35mm Tube, Illum. MIL Scale MPR Reticle, EREK Elevation Knob, US#3 Windage SN3-2535
XP-RS-25x58SN3TPALWIND-SN3-2535

2) Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Riflescope with EBR-2B Reticle, 10 MRAD Turrets RZR-52006
VX-RS-RZR5-RZR-52006

I think this will satisfy my need for a long range precision optic for quite some time.

Thanks again for all of the feedback. I appreciate it.

Excellent choices and both should suit your needs. Love my Vortex (exact one you picked) reticle is great and not obtrusive like on my March scopes. Although I have never owned a USO have looked through many and all were very nice!I

Excellent choices and both should suit your needs. Love my Vortex (exact one you picked) reticle is great and not obtrusive like on my March scopes. Although I have never owned a USO have looked through many and all were very nice!I

Thanks! The USO is a 2-4 month wait. The Rasor is on its way.

Let me know how you feel once you get out and shoot it. Taking mine out today to shoot my new DTA SRS A1. Love this rifle, but still getting used to the balance and feel. Going to try to 260 barrel conversion today also. Have the 338 conversion pending.
Good Shooting!!!

Let me know how you feel once you get out and shoot it. Taking mine out today to shoot my new DTA SRS A1. Love this rifle, but still getting used to the balance and feel. Going to try to 260 barrel conversion today also. Have the 338 conversion pending.
Good Shooting!!!

Will do!!!

Buy the best you can afford. And by best, typically I mean the most expensive. Optic companies, for the most part, can't get away with pricing too crappy of a scope at too high of a price. I'm a Vortex guy myself. But only because I can't afford NF, S&B, USO, etc..

I like the NF 3.5 15X50 with MOAR reticle and zero stop, it'll run about $1695 if you look around, this is of course for a 308,

I believe its possible to overspend for a .308. Its range is pretty well limited to 1200, max. (based on a combination of personal experience, and reading)

So you don't need the internal adjustment to reach out a mile.

So my advice is don't pay money for a scope that goes out that far.

1) US Optics 5-25x58 SN-3 T-PAL Riflescope - Parallax 35mm Tube, Illum. MIL Scale MPR Reticle, EREK Elevation Knob, US#3 Windage SN3-2535
XP-RS-25x58SN3TPALWIND-SN3-2535
That is the scope I bought a few weeks after I had purchased a Vortex PST FFP 4-16. Got a deal I couldn't pass up. Best-purchase-ever! Here it is all gussied up with a cold cerakoting on my CSS RTS in 6BR.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 20
I believe its possible to overspend for a .308. Its range is pretty well limited to 1200, max. (based on a combination of personal experience, and reading)

So you don't need the internal adjustment to reach out a mile.

So my advice is don't pay money for a scope that goes out that far.
It's starting out on a .308
I want to possibly go farther later on, thus my choice of optics. :)

That is the scope I bought a few weeks after I had purchased a Vortex PST FFP 4-16. Got a deal I couldn't pass up. Best-purchase-ever! Here it is all gussied up with a cold cerakoting on my CSS RTS in 6BR.
Very nice looking set up!