• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics Planet SUCKS

At this point with the expected wait do you have the option of canceling?

I would.

I am a cynical consumer.

I think they all use certain items for bait knowing that it attracts other purchases.

You start piecing a build together or loading setup and get to final checkout before it shows one piece missing that was in stock minutes before.

A lot of times I just cancel the whole order and start over with a different vendor.

Not sure they gaf or get the hint but it cost them several items at a time.

Maybe they will get the point eventually.

Getting baited is annoying but if money is not taken not a criminal act.

Hey guess, guess who just fell for this shit with them on a pint sized gamechanger? This guy.

Shits getting canceled once they ship the part of the order they did actualy have in stock...

In another news, anyone know where to get a waxed gamechanger?

IMHO we are witnessing the collapse of the supply chain. I too am having the same issues as listed by the members above. The big, dependable suppliers are "sweeping the floor" to gather items to ship. Seeing it with auto parts, tires / tubes, prescription drugs, etc. I'm reaching the point of not letting a supplier "hold my money" while they are sweeping up items for my order. Suppliers are going out of business every day while holding a customer's money. America is moving quickly towards a third world economy / supply chain. In our future the phrase "going to the market" will take on a much different meaning than it did 50 years ago. Unfortunately the young people don't have a clue as to how to "barter" or horse trade. We are living in some interesting times.

Hobo

This is true; these issues are happening everywhere, not just in the firearms industry. Recently ordered a mini-split HVAC unit to install for an elderly person that needed help. In-stock, out-of-stock, then finally it-will-be-here-next-wednesday. It wasn't. Then it arrived from the manufacturer at the warehouse, they palletized it, but the freight line didn't show up to pick it up on time. Originally ordered on 7/7, freight shipped on 7/21. Every one I know in several industries are having issues obtaining /shipping items. In this day of 'in stock' really meaning 'in stock at our supplier' these shipping issues are murderous. Some states are worse than others, I had read where items shipped to certain states were sitting in hub terminals for days or weeks.

It is a giant charlie-fox and will likely end up thinning out the smaller shoestring operations that were 'kiting' inventory before it is over.

PS: On another note, I had a NFA transfer for a customer. His dealer's website had an email listed, so I utilized this to request his FFL/SOT. It bounced, so I called for days until he answered. He replied his email account had been cancelled a long time ago because it was only legal to send FFLs via fax or mail. Since I don't have a fax, he snail mailed his papers. It seems everything is a PITA these days.

He replied his email account had been cancelled a long time ago because it was only legal to send FFLs via fax or mail. Since I don't have a fax, he snail mailed his papers. It seems everything is a PITA these days.
Is that actually a true statement? I ask because I know of a number of instances (I think every time in the past 10 years) that I have purchased a firearm or NFA item, the FFL was emailed to the dealer and vice versa.

EDIT:
Okay, I did my own quick search and, just as I suspected, that was a false statement that dealer sold you. Here’s a quick copy/paste from FFLVault:

9058AD51-2B23-4FC0-AAFA-6BF1EA41AA34.jpeg

Reactions: JohnK454
I equate Optics Planet shipping with PSA shipping. It has been like this for years. Nothing new.

Best place to order anything during COVID19 is "JoeBob Outfitters". I've made 4 orders in the past 3 Months, no issue, got them in 3 days every time.

Also, you really want to pay a little more for premium shipping (USPS Priority or whatever). Way less chance of having your package lost.

Anyone know how to contact this store? My account charged, no comma, no nothing.
Emails get nowhere. Phone prompts end in sorry no one working phones at this time. What is the deal here?
I ordered two weeks ago a set of spur rings and a baton. They cut The price of 370 for The rings down to 333...i alway ask. Then The next day...i get a email saying I'm not LE and they can't sell,it to me. I callel back in on Thursday and was on hold for 20 minutes. They finally picked up and fixed my order. I called on last Monday and was on hold another 20 trying to see when They would ship. I had gotten nervous after reading all these horror stories. After 20 minutes the phone just cut off. But...later that afternoon I got an email that it shipped. and today it's out for delivery. I'll talk to a few other places and everybody swamped. Sorry you guys had trouble!

Is that actually a true statement? I ask because I know of a number of instances (I think every time in the past 10 years) that I have purchased a firearm or NFA item, the FFL was emailed to the dealer and vice versa.

EDIT:
Okay, I did my own quick search and, just as I suspected, that was a false statement that dealer sold you. Here’s a quick copy/paste from FFLVault:

View attachment 7381548

Correct; absolutely false. Some FFLs still insist that other FFLs are trying to BS them when they ask for it via email. Just another example of how unexpected problems can delay proceedings anywhere in the chain.

I have had very good luck with this company. And I have ordered a great deal from them. However In the past, I have had problems with Midway.No longer do business with them...

I’ll never do business with optics planet again. Long story short they sent me two of a product On accident that arrived weeks apart when I order Only one. They changed my order without my consent and added 2 then Attempted to charged my credit card again. Told me to send back the extra then they would change it back. E-mailed, called to get the RMA# so the package could get picked up by UPS, told me no you have to take it to the ups store and drop it off Yourself. by the time I dropped it off myself (Week later)they Already turned me into collections even though they received it. Collections said to write them a letter, I said I’m not paying postage for this. Got to the point where I had a lawyer ready before they corrected their mistakes. Needless to say I turned them into the BBB. and yes thats the short version. Never again!

Optics planet has failed me for the last time. They have literally shut their phones off today and went strictly to email only.... which takes 5 business days for them to respond. I can literally get a hand written letter response faster from my grandma across the country before optics planet can respond to a freaking email! Imagine having any customer service conversation where you don't get a response for 5 business days. I sent them an email with pictures showing the UPS guy delivered a box with a giant hole and items missing. 5 business days later they replied I can return the items to them for a refund..... ignorant. I guess I'll see what kind of nonsense response I get in 5 more business days.

Midway isn't perfect in my experience but they are responsive right now in comparison.

Fair enough. I'm glad it's working for someone. Here's how their autoreply email describes the chat service:
"If you need additional help, please use our contact us to email us any questions. We are offering our Live Chat support as frequently as possible, and if available, links to initiate a chat will appear on our website. Our priority is responding to customer emails in the order received."

That explains the works for some and not others. I guess I'll camp out on their site until it's available.

Thanks

Reactions: SilentVapor631
About 2 weeks ago...i ordered a set of spuhr rings and a baton. I then got a email stating ...i had to be LE to buy the baton. I few day later I called in. I did wait about 20 minutes but got the baton cancel and the money was returned to my CC . It took a few days but they got my order out and everything went through fine. They've always giving me the best price that I can find. I like the separate 34 mm rings and they sold them to me for $333 versus $370. I think they're overwhelmed and every place I've called has a delay in shipping. BUT...sorry you had trouble. It's probablythe person your dealing with.

About 2 weeks ago...i ordered a set of spuhr rings and a baton. I then got a email stating ...i had to be LE to buy the baton. I few day later I called in. I did wait about 20 minutes but got the baton cancel and the money was returned to my CC . It took a few days but they got my order out and everything went through fine. They've always giving me the best price that I can find. I like the separate 34 mm rings and they sold them to me for $333 versus $370. I think they're overwhelmed and every place I've called has a delay in shipping. BUT...sorry you had trouble. It's probablythe person your dealing with.
Okay, so your only three posts on this site since joining A few weeks ago are the exact same story posted three different times in this same thread. You work for Optics Planet or just a fanboy?

Seriously though, It’s not just these times. Optics Planet has always been this way. You can stop being their apologist now.

You're right I only have a few post and I can never find them. I've been on the site on and off for years but never made any comments.
NO... I don't work for opticsplanet. When I first read some of these post I was thinking oh s*** cuz I had an order in. So I was trying to help and share my experience with them. I was on the phone one time 20 minutes. Bay came on and was very helpful. Call back the next Monday the try and figure out when they're going to ship. I was on hold about 20 minutes again and then phone just got cut off. But they ship that day. I've ordered a lot of reloading components in the last couple weeks trying to get my Centerfire going for precision F class. Everybody I've talked to is delayed. So again I was trying to help. Maybe you had fun taking me apart for helping. I notice more and more people lash out in privacy of safe home. .. all the best

Reactions: lash
Really I've been able to chat any day anytime. Try it again tomorrow.
I've been on and off the site multiple times today and still haven't had luck. Is the chat feature in the Contact Us section or I have gone full retard and am blindly not seeing it? I'm guessing it's still not available but wanted to bug you in case I'm a moron--strong possibility.

I am having issues with a scope I ordered from Optics Planet on July 21. Never received and tracker shows delivered to USPS on July 22. Not sure if issue is Optics Planet or USPS. It is almost impossible to contact Optics Planet as they are not answering phones, messages, or chat - only option is email. I remembered this thread so wanted to add my current issue. I have received good service from Optics Planet in past.

Based on my experience I did a search on Optics Planet Complaints and found this BBB thread which is concerning - lot of complaints filed in last few months: https://www.bbb.org/us/il/northbroo...ods/opticsplanet-inc-0654-36000233/complaints

Reactions: 338dude
I've made several successful purchases from Optics Planet in the past but the experience has went down hill recently. My last order took weeks to arrive and was incorrect. They sent me something completely different than what I purchased.

I must have gotten lucky. Ordered a bunch of shit last week and it showed up in about five days.

Anyone know how to contact this store? My account charged, no comma, no nothing.
Emails get nowhere. Phone prompts end in sorry no one working phones at this time. What is the deal here?

Good luck. I had a problem with them in March, 3mo later it got resolved, sorta. They claim its due to Covid.
I will NEVER deal with optics planet again. They will gladly take your money.......... but that's about it. BROWNELLS is my go to place. They have awesome customer service.

Opticsplanet.com is wonderful they took back my nikon scopes after a year the glass had a huge error in it. Thank you for the outstanding service. If anyone needs help I got a direct line number 18475136201

My take:
Optics Planet: Used to be reliable. Hasn't been, in my experience, for at least a couple years - nothing to do with Covid.
Midwayusa: Used to be great. Still decent. But some of their prices are a bit high - nothing to do with Covid
Brownells: Awesome - sure, might be slower because of all that's going on in our world right now, but still excellent.
Midsouth: Awesome - sure, might be slower because of all that's going on in our world right now, but still excellent.
JoeBob: Awesome - sure, might be slower because of all that's going on in our world right now, but still excellent.

A couple of years ago, I ordered a discontinued Apex barrel from Optics Planet. The price was good and it was a hard to find item. After a month or so, I figured out that they never had the item and had no way to get it. It was a joke. They did credit my account though. I heard too many similar stories to trust them again:(

optics planet is a huge cluster right now.

they took 18 days to ship me a grip and trigger guard, that WAS IN STOCK!

never again from me

I ordered a stock from them because they said it was in stock and would ship in 1-5 days. It's been two weeks (14+ days) and still no stock. They just email me more advertisement crap every day, but they sure have willingness to walk over, grab my stock and ship it.

I posted earlier defending Optics Planet because in the past I had received such good service.

I’m posting now to say they are off my list of places to buy from. I have no idea what the issues are for them at the moment on their end, but I’m done buying from anyplace that is so out of control.

I posted earlier defending Optics Planet because in the past I had received such good service.

I’m posting now to say they are off my list of places to buy from. I have no idea what the issues are for them at the moment on their end, but I’m done buying from anyplace that is so out of control.
It's been 16 days and they have not shipped me an in stock item

OpticsPlanet just shipped me three items from a 4 item order and yet the email stating "your order shipped" showed all 4 items to be shipped. Naturally, the one that wasn't included was the expensive scope. That's the kind of luck I have, haha.

Never had any issues with them myself. I did just submit my first return so we will see how that goes, but historically speaking they’ve always been good to deal with. Hope your situation gets cleared up properly

Here's where I'm at:

I purchased this scope (and some rings options + rail) on November 16th. It is now December 2nd. When I purchased this scope, it said 3 in stock with 1-3 day shipping time. It now says 3 in stock with 1-7 days shipping time. You can do the math on how many days it's been.

delete1.PNG

Here is my order. The order only recently split off. I was expecting all 4 items on Nov 29th, but the scope wasn't in the box. Then my order split off like this. The overall order said "Processing" a couple days after the order was submitted/paid for. I received an email saying my order was shipping soon, only to wait approximately 5-6 days to actually see a shipment (and, again, was under the impression it was my entire order).

Delete2.PNG

I'm a patient person. I am willing to wait, especially when the price is right. I am not willing to see "1-3 days" to shipment on a website and still be waiting for my order over two weeks later. I realize there was a holiday in those days, but they need to be truthful about estimates.

Yesterday, I made a purchase on another website for $10 more because I'd get it this Saturday (for sure) and with OpticsPlanet, who knows.

I need this scope shipped to me so I can return it, haha. Because it's taken so long, I've taken advantage of a Black Friday sale. OpticsPlanet will not cancel the order, even though it's not been shipped to me. They told me I need to return it. I have two returns with OpticsPlanet/DVOR right now totaling $800 and they've had one box since the 25th per tracking and so far no confirmation that they have it and are processing it.

One of those returns was a very expensive and very poorly made, defective scope. I expect a refund quickly. With my last refund with them, I had to email twice asking for an update and ended up waiting approximately 2.5 weeks (after getting an email stating that the return was processing) to see the money refunded. They are really, really overloaded over there and the right thing to do is set expectations better ON THE SITE, not in follow-up emails after orders, and hire staff to get the job done. They are earning themselves a very troubled reputation... it's bad.

Thats fairly typical.
I have had several orders get here fast and then boom no updates or progress on the next order.
I finally gave up on optics planet and only buy from vendors that post here on the hide.

yep, i avoid where possible. Returns are a pain, poor comms, poor attitude if you have questions or issues.

Well, here's my experience with Optics Planet: Back in July, knowing I was quite a bit late to the game, I ordered 5/200 rd boxes of Win white box 9mm ammo from them. Pretty sure I'd never get it. I got a couple of emails from them pushing the expected delivery date back each time. I fully expected them to just cancel the order. Surprisingly, Monday I got an email from them that it was back in stock. They wondered if I still wanted the order and gave me 7 days to let them know! DUH! Replied to that email and sent another to customer service that I definitely wanted it. It was shipped Wednesday and I got it today! $.25/rd!! When things are as crazy as they are right now, I expected them, and honestly any retailer in the same position, to cancel an order and make a customer reorder at a current price. They kept me updated the whole time, and honored the original price. I can't complain about them one bit!

Still haven't gotten my Sightron scope. Still haven't been refunded for a return to DVOR. Been a month and a couple weeks, respectively.

Just filed claims against OpticsPlanet and DVOR -- i can't help but see that they operating in bad faith at this point.

Last edited:
Finally got my refund from DVOR after filing a claim with PayPal. I've filed a claim with PayPal for the Sightron scope, too, buy haven't heard anything from PayPal. OpticsPlanet's agent most recently said, and I quote, "It has been too far into the shipment process to cancel the order." Mind you, I don't have a tracking number, it hasn't been shipped in a month, and I've been asking to cancel that part of the order for almost 3 weeks now. That's a load of bullshit, as far as I can tell.

And just today... the same scope shows as shipping in 1-7 days!

1608086190561.png

I used Optics Planit once, got the item. Used it a second time on an item they said was in stock, it did not ship for two months, no contact from the company saying why or to expect a delay. At this point I canceled the order and have not used them again in the past 8 years.

I joined just to add my voice to the message. NEVER leave any small items on backorder with these people. I placed an order for multiple items that had free shipping. 3 screws and 4 washers (for AR grip) were placed on backorder. They came in and shipped. 3 screws, 4 washers, <1oz. weight, ~$6.00 in value...>$19.00 in shipping charges. I called, and wrote a complaint, they dropped the charges by $3.00.
I cancelled everything on backorder with them. "Customer service" is a laugh.

Does anyone know what "Item Ordered" means on opticsplanet?

Situation:
On December 22, 2020, I saw a product that went from "in stock" to "17 left," so I ordered 10 of such items. Got a confirmation email for the order, checked my credit card to see that the money was taken and checked back the next day to see the same item said there were 7 left. The following day after, the same product now says "PLACE BACKORDER" with an estimated shipping time of 5-8 months.

On Jan 1, 2021, I ordered a different product. a few days later, its already on its way. I tried calling customer service, but they aren't answering calls after having me on hold for 20 minutes to finally use Covid-19 as an excuse. I tried using their chat and they wouldnt explain as to why my second order was so quickly fullfilled and why my 1st order wasnt. The person (or bot) just said that my order was locked in, but wouldnt go into detail as to specifically what that actually means.

Last edited: