• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics Planet SUCKS

If you didn't place an order with them and saw a credit card charge from them on your credit card statement, then your account was probably compromised and you need to call up your CC company immediately to get the charges reversed and get a new CC sent to you.

How long did you waited tell you ran here and shit posted?

I've never had issues with them and I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them over the years.

Probably busy as fuck with the run on firearms and covid.
Optics Planet has a long and sordid history of taking orders, charging cards and then nothing...for months. They sell shit that they don’t have and then order it, from all appearances. Do yourself a favor and do a search on the internet about them.

I am glad that you have never had a problem with them, but there are too many others that have had issues. There are multiple threads in this site alone dealing with these problems.

And Sporterii is one of the good guys. He only wants to find out how to actually get ahold of them. Their no comms response is typical for them.

OpticsPlanet
Online store company

Description
Description

OpticsPlanet, Inc. is a privately held online retailer of shooting, hunting, military, law enforcement, eyewear, and laboratory equipment. The company is headquartered in Northbrook, Illinois, and operates a number of specialized online destinations, as well as its flagship store OpticsPlanet.com. Wikipedia
Customer service: 1 (800) 504-5897

CEO: Mark Levitin (2000–)
Headquarters: Northbrook, IL
Founded: 2000
Subsidiary: Apogee, Inc.
Parent organization: Ecentria Group, Inc

i just got a mailer from "Sportsman's Guide" military surplus. anyone ever buy anything from them?
they do have lots of different size ammo cans...

Midway has been hosing up my orders lately, so I am done with them.

Orders from them are fine (the few that I still do with them) but their fucking shipping method is beyond rediculous.

Last order was for a simple AR platform Tubb spring. My options were the lowest cost shipping which was like 10% of my order total for a few ounce spring, or literally more than the spring cost to send it faster.

They ship it relatively quick and then it takes almost two full weeks in transit.

In the age of Amazon; fuck all that.

Places like Midway and Brownells are my last resort if some other place doesnt have it options. OpticsPlanet is just LOL no.

i just got a mailer from "Sportsman's Guide" military surplus. anyone ever buy anything from them?
I used to buy things from them every once in a while, with zero issues or unexpecteds. It’s been a bunch of years since I’ve ordered from them though.

Reactions: vwhugger
I used to buy things from them every once in a while, with zero issues or unexpecteds. It’s been a bunch of years since I’ve ordered from them though.

Not even remotely the same place anymore. Was sold a few years back.

Now its basically a Rothco dump house as well as Chinese counterfeits. The worst part is, they actually know alot of the stuff they list as NSN/USGI is China knockoffs, are notified as such, don't really care and then still just advertise them as authentic anyways.

Not even remotely the same place anymore. Was sold a few years back.

Now its basically a Rothco dump house as well as Chinese counterfeits. The worst part is, they actually know alot of the stuff they list as NSN/USGI is China knockoffs, are notified as such, don't really care and then still just advertise them as authentic anyways.
Oh, good to know. They used to have a bunch of German Milsurp stuff that was priced right.

Reactions: Winkmeister
I've never had any issues with Optics Planet apart from the months it took for the last two orders to ship. Prices are good, and there's usually free shipping and a coupon, but the I-forgot-what-I-ordered wait times get irritating. They do have a cancel order button on the invoice, so they've got that going for them at least.

I thought they did the same thing to me a couple weeks back. Turns out that it was for an order I placed months and months ago of a product that was "in stock." It took so long to send it to me that I had forgotten I ordered it and they didn't charge my card until they shipped it.

I’ve ordered from them quite a bit and haven’t had any issues. The shipping isn’t always the fastest but it’s also not that bad.

Although, now that you mention it my last scope from there had a picture of Kim Jong Un on it which I thought was a little weird.... 😜

I had to cancel an order with them a few weeks back. I ran into the same issue you had with the phones. I sent an email and got a response about a week later, hopefully that gives you a timeframe for a response. Only way I could get to them was with email.

I recently ordered a Sig Romeo 5 from them that showed "in stock "... My confirmation email showed 20 days as likely shipping because it was coming from a third party vendor. Had my bank cancel the charge. Optics Planet has a long track record of selling, and charging for things they don't actually have.

Last edited:
I hear all the horror stories with 'em but have never had problems with 'em. Probably a matter of time. Everyone else loves Midway and I won't touch 'em with a ten foot pole.
Midway has been hosing up my orders lately, so I am done with them.
Fuck Midway, they're garbage. Overpriced, slow shipping, messed up orders, bad cs, and have a "24 hour" price adjustment policy.

Well I'm not having issues with midway other than deals and good service.

Placed order for my scope on July 7, at 3:10 pm.
Arrived minutes ago 4:30 PM July 10.

I used the free shipping not express.

Thats 3 days nearly exactly from Columbia Mo. to Fort Worth Texas.

I would say good customer service.

You guys talking about stuff on back order?

20200710_164457.jpg

Midway? No. They had an item I was looking for in stock so I ordered one. Forget the 4 day processing time and the tracking number that didn't work, item literally went on sale while in transit and it took their customer service another 3 or 4 days to tell me to fuck off they only price adjust for 24 hours. Yeah, I'm salty about $10 - whatever, that's my $10 and I've never encountered a vendor, especially a fairly large one, who had such a shitty price adjustment policy.

Brownells is way better than Midway. And frankly OpticsPlanet has only done me wrong once over years of orders and during this pandemic they have actually been seriously reliable for harder to find items that they are showing as in stock or backorders that no one wanted to take. I backordered a KAC action wrench from OpticsPlanet maybe a week ago and they were projecting about 4-6 weeks and we all know that's a guesstimate. This shit shipped out today!

Reactions: BLEE and scott7339
I also use brownells, shipping considerably slower in my experience but still reliable.

Hell do us all a favor and dont buy from iether since your butt hurt so much.

More for the rest of us.

Edit: just as I thought a guy that back orders then bitches.

Well I'm not having issues with midway other than deals and good service.

Placed order for my scope on July 7, at 3:10 pm.
Arrived minutes ago 4:30 PM July 10.

I used the free shipping not express.

Thats 3 days nearly exactly from Columbia Mo. to Fort Worth Texas.

I would say good customer service.

You guys talking about stuff on back order?

View attachment 7371324
I've had good experiences lately from them as well. Ordered around 200 dollars worth of reloading supplies over the last month or so and most of my orders have been here in less than 5 days choosing the standard shipping option.

Never been screwed by either Brownell or Midway. Optics Planet I'll never deal with again. Waited weeks for an item, and also once received somebody else's order.

Reactions: BCX
Ive bought lots of stuff from them, they have something called the 4 pay plan and its awesome. Interest free for 4 months, $150 minimum, first payment includes tax and shipping. Plus they give 10% off of pretty much anything, sometimes 20%

Reactions: theLBC
I must be a lucky mofo because I’ve ordered dozens of times from Optics Planet and never a single issue. Including two orders within the last month. I only order items they show "in stock," and they always have been.

The covid bullshit has seriously fucked with all businesses.
I've had 99% good with Midway, Opticsplanet and the like.
We can't be the only ones...

Last Brownells order was 2 days shipping, showed up 6 days latter.
Its been taking them 2 days just to process an order.

My last Optics Planet order was my last. They changed their discount program (10%), after a week they still hadn't shipped my order. Canceled it on a Tuesday and had item in hand by Friday with the manufacturer's (Vortex)full discount from someone else. Also, charged me for shipping on a "free 2 day air" sale.

ETA: they were good on my last two orders but that was 2011 and 2016.

I am truly blessed. I haven’t had a single problem with any firearms related order from anyone ever.

I have horror stories forever about car parts....
As stated earlier, I'm in your category also. Only issue I've had is slow shipping times on occasion.
Other than that, I can't complain as of yet...

Reactions: Simonsza1
Midway has been pretty good to me, it seems like the discount codes have dried up though, don’t see as many as I have in the past. I’ve had some packages show up in 3 days to Hawaii, other times it ends up being 7 to 9 days. Their optic sales are a joke most of the time, their sale price is still more than other vendors regular prices.

Haven’t had any issues with Brownells, though their return process is kind of a PITA, got a set of Nightforce rings with an oversized screw hole, print out the return form, fill it out, mail back damaged goods, then wait for them to contact you.

I’ve only made one small purchase off of Optics Planet and it arrived in a timely manner, after reading the stories on here I’ve been too afraid to make a large purchase from them. Plenty of good Hide vendors to spend my money with , no need to take the gamble with OP.

Reactions: lash
Edit: just as I thought a guy that back orders then bitches.

Keep your edits to yourself and learn to read. I’ll explain like you’re five: I back ordered an item from Opticsplanet last week that they projected a 4-6 week lead time on, but it shipped out THIS week despite not being in stock.

That’s the literal opposite of bitching, so get bent.

A lot of people have been bashing Opticsplanet, and maybe in their case it's justified.
Yet, I have bought thousands of dollars worth of optics there, with zero issues.
Most of their prices beat the PX sections used prices with discounts, that's just the truth.
Everywhere has a bad story, but this is not the case with Opticsplanet for me.

Due to the recent spike in guns and ammo sales, coupled with COVID related shutdowns, lots of retailers are backlogged and short staffed. If it’s only a recent issue, I probably cut them a break.

What used to be shipped within a day or 2 after payment is now stretching into a week or so. And if your order or return requires a human touch, good luck.

I finally found a way to actually get an order cancelled at Optics Planet. Had tried for a week to cancel an order and could never get a response. Finally came up with the idea of using the place an order option when prompted. Was talking to a sales rep in less than 2 minutes. You could tell he wasn't happy but I got my order cancelled. I have never had a bad experience with them before this but I just wanted to cancel order and move on.

Reactions: QSYB
Another satisfied Optics Planet customer here. I've ordered from them a lot over the years and never had any problems they didn't fix in a timely manner (none of which were their fault), or delays that I wasn't expecting.

Last month I called and asked them if they would give me a 14% discount to match one of their sales that expired four months ago--and they gave it to me...happily. They are also one of the ever-dwindling number of sites with blanket free shipping with minimum order. Their CS has always been great for me.

The only issue I have now is that they're replacing their 10% (or more) discount coupons with "OP Bucks" to use on your next order. Not a fan, but they aren't the only site to do away with 10% coupons, i guess... Brownells used to do 10%+free shipping, and that dried up when they shared their "Edge" program. At least Optics Planet has 10% credit for the next order.

Another satisfied Optics Planet customer here. I've ordered from them a lot over the years and never had any problems they didn't fix in a timely manner (none of which were their fault), or delays that I wasn't expecting.

Last month I called and asked them if they would give me a 14% discount to match one of their sales that expired four months ago--and they gave it to me...happily. They are also one of the ever-dwindling number of sites with blanket free shipping with minimum order. Their CS has always been great for me.

The only issue I have now is that they're replacing their 10% (or more) discount coupons with "OP Bucks" to use on your next order. Not a fan, but they aren't the only site to do away with 10% coupons, i guess... Brownells used to do 10%+free shipping, and that dried up when they shared their "Edge" program. At least Optics Planet has 10% credit for the next order.
Yes the OP bucks is good for them, in that you must buy again to retrieve your discount.
Many use this sort of tactic, but it's not the best for a one time purchase.
They still run sales/promo codes sometimes that can be added with the OP bucks.

Anyone know how to contact this store? My account charged, no comma, no nothing.
Emails get nowhere. Phone prompts end in sorry no one working phones at this time. What is the deal here?
The few times I’ve ordered from them have left me highly unimpressed. Slow to fill orders, even slower to ship (weeks). At times, I’ve found the payment credited back to my account after several weeks because they couldn’t fulfill their obligation. No communication other than that. Tell me earlier in the process and I’ll get my refund and move along. D- for that company as far as I’m concerned.

I have ordered alot of stuff from OP. Most of my stuff on my pistol build came from there. I've been waiting like 2 months for all my parts to show up cuz of Covid. Only thing left is a Aero upper and Radian BCG. And I only ordered almost everything cuz they had a 10% optics bucks on stuff and I went that route. But the shipping isn't long for me. They are in Illinois and I'm in Iowa so I get a somewhat fast ship

Problem with OP is if it shows "in-stock" it might not be in-stock with OP but rather a reseller they use...so...if I have to buy a time sensitive item...I always chat with them prior to ordering whether the item is in stock with OP or not...I always use PayPal with them...their chat seems to be back online last week.

Reactions: invisibleflash
I go out of my way to find a smaller retailer, order over the phone with a live person if that's an option, if I don't have a tracking number within 2 days after they hit my bank account, I cancel. If you wouldn't wait 8 hours at a restaurant WHY would you wait 8 days on a order?

Reactions: Josh1978