• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics

Bostonshooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2020
Mountain View ca
Can anyone that has knowledge with 6.5 grendel and optics give me some 411?
Building an 18” Odin works upper. Thinking about the D-evo and red dot combo for optics.BUT!! I want to make sure I get full potential for long distance and also close range. I would be using the gun to hunt too. This is my first build. Should I go D-evo red dot set up?

Reactions: drewthebrave
I've been very happy with my SWFA 3-15x on my 18" Grendel. I just bought a Holosun 507 and Precision Reflex 30mm scope mount to piggyback on top of it. The mount literally just arrived on my step, so I'll be installing it shortly. I plan to use this for some coyote hunts this summer, so the red dot should help with the ones that pop up close.

Reactions: camocorvette
I've been very happy with my SWFA 3-15x on my 18" Grendel. I just bought a Holosun 507 and Precision Reflex 30mm scope mount to piggyback on top of it. The mount literally just arrived on my step, so I'll be installing it shortly. I plan to use this for some coyote hunts this summer, so the red dot should help with the ones that pop up close.
This is all New to me! So what you are saying is you have a scope to get the distance ? And you are piggy backing that with a red dot for close range?

I just received this mount for my red dot and just put it on my rifle tonight. It's probably going to take me a few range trips to figure out where I like it best. If my scope had low profile turrets, I'd probably want it dead center on top. As it is, the 45° angle seems most comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_20200714_000856.jpg
    IMG_20200714_000856.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 57
Looks bad ass! Probably take me to more than a couple trips to the range to dial it in. Still waiting on my lower parts kit to build my gun.. right now waiting on diamond head sites. Scope will be in couple months.
Think im gunna go leupold scope and I like your idea with the red dot on top.. where do you live that you hunt coyote? Texas? I’m in fucked up california

I'm in California, too. My rifle is featureless with a Thordsen FRS G2 stock and the red dot is an idea a picked up from my buddy who hunts with his Ruger American predator in .223. I didn't want the red dot to get beat up from ejecting brass, so this seemed like the safest bet. It's probably overkill, but I have more time to tinker & build with the pandemic going on, so I figured why the hell not just try it?

A red dot with a Dvo will not fully maximize your grendel. Get a 1-6x lpvo or 1-8 lpvo for that. With the 1x power, you won’t need a red dot to piggyback with unless you really want one.

I’m almost done with my 20” Grendel and I did a 4.5-18 FDE LRTS. I’d do the same, or a 3-12, on an 18” just because cartridge can stretch its legs on a longer range. Coyote hunting, an offset red dot all the way for close range sneaky pete’s.

My Grendel is a deer gun and I don’t plan to need the offset red dot. I’m building a very similar dedicated coyote 5.56, 18” coyote rig as described above, 18” barrel, 3-12 FDE LRTS, offset red dot, etc.

I hope to have pics in the pic-thread within the week. Need my gas block and can cover to come in.

Get a 1-6x lpvo or 1-8 lpvo for that. With the 1x power, you won’t need a red dot to piggyback with unless you really want one.

Depending on OP's intended use and budget, a 1-6x, 1-8x or even 1-10x could be really useful. I started with a 3-9x on my Grendel, but found I really wanted a higher top end magnification for the long range shooting that the cartridge is capable of. I think the 3-15x suits my needs well, and I only added the red dot for a very specific purpose: sneaky close coyotes that I don't have time to dial down from 9x or above to see.

For most people's uses, a simple 3-9x, 2-10x or LPVO is more than suitable enough to get versatile performance from your rifle in most situations. It really just depends on your intended use.

Well his budget must be at least $1k since a red dot and Dvo are over $1k for the combo. You can get a nice LPVO for that price.

I run a LPVO on my ranch rifles. Even a simple 1-4x is all that is needed for 99 percent of the hunting 200 yards and in.

I'd shop the sales on 1-6 or even 1-8x LPVOs. I picked up a SFP Burris XTR II for $609 from Midway a year ago...I saw the Accupowers going for $800 when they were first discontinued.

These shoats were killed from 30-120 yards. I started at 8x like a moron, but yanked the magnification down to about 3.5x and picked up three more before they made it to the trees.
20200623_072726.jpg

I think that higher magnification is better for target shooting.

1x on a LPVO isn't quite as fast as a red dot...but with practice its damn close. 8x is enough for me to shoot out at distance, but some prefer more magnification...that's your call.

I would consider the 2-12x to be an excellent magnification range for hunting where I live with 95 percent of shots on game being between 50 and 400 yards. If this is going to be a defensive rifle, I'd stick with the LPVO.

Ok so this is all new to me! I’m building my grendel now with Odin works upper cmc trigger and Wilson combat lower.i have some really good parts. What is LPVO. I don’t mean to sound stupid but I’m really trying to educate myself so I get the right optics!! Sorry

Reactions: Lumbeejake
LPVO= Low Power Variable Optic. Generally Considered anything with 1x-1.5x lower end. Now we have a choice of 1-4x, 1-6x, 1-8x and 1-10x

Attachments

• 0D63F762-D1C5-40A4-99BE-A57492BCE156.jpeg
    0D63F762-D1C5-40A4-99BE-A57492BCE156.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 491
Reactions: Bostonshooter
for hunting it would work. It's not FFP and the German post Dot reticle doesn't have many features to help with range/wind. 56mm obj is also a bit much for a small frame AR. you'll have it mounted fairly high to clear that obj

Go to Cabelas etc and see a bunch of different scopes.... and by that I mean take them out of the case and look through the scope while aiming at a far wall and near. It will give you an idea of what the pros and cons of different setups will be. What range is short range on yotes? I've never hunted them but if its 25 yards or longer then maybe a 2.5x10x scope like a Vortex pst might do the trick.

My Lvpo is a Leupold vxr 1-4 and its great out to about 300 yards. 8x would probably get you to 500+ but some guys will tell you 800 yards. I like a little more magnification when hunting or target shooting.

I'm in California, too. My rifle is featureless with a Thordsen FRS G2 stock and the red dot is an idea a picked up from my buddy who hunts with his Ruger American predator in .223. I didn't want the red dot to get beat up from ejecting brass, so this seemed like the safest bet. It's probably overkill, but I have more time to tinker & build with the pandemic going on, so I figured why the hell not just try it?
Drew where are you in California? I’m in Mountain view

for hunting it would work. It's not FFP and the German post Dot reticle doesn't have many features to help with range/wind. 56mm obj is also a bit much for a small frame AR. you'll have it mounted fairly high to clear that obj
So I did some research and this is what I came up with....VX 3i LRP 8.5 25x50mm FFP.......... or.....vx 5HD 3-15x56 fire dot duplex!.. I believe they are both FFP.. and I think MIL would be easier than MOA? 2 numbers verse 4.the are both Leupold about 1300$. Am I on the right path

Close range is all relative on the task. In the woods hunting whitetail 50 yards isn't all that close. Hunting hogs, you could be taking shots (hopefully not defensive) well within 20 yards

MIL is easier to learn and master as its divided my tens. You can still use MOA if thats what you're comfortable with just makes sure the adjustments are in MOA. There are very good classes on scoped carbines

NO, MILs is a measurement. Think about getting into the online training here on Snipershide. It will help you immensely. I also use the Strelok ballistic APP. this will help you understand bullet drop reference on specific reticles

LRHS/LRTS is the perfect 6.5G optic. I have one siting on my Grendel and they are super quality for the money.

This is a medium/long range cartridge. Get something that you can take advantage of the capabilities.

Reactions: FishinGuns
This is a good example where buying a cheaper optic is the way to go. You need some first hand experience to figure out exactly what you need and why you need it before dropping $1k-$2k, or at least be prepared to take a hit and test different optics if it doesn't work as you hoped. Trying to shoehorn a Leupold onto this thing won't help that.

56mm objective is a bit much, especially for a general purpose AR. The Vortex 2.5-10x32 will suffice if you want that mag range, or go with the Bushnell options listed.