• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics???

Jmeier1981

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2022
Iowa
Im trying to decide between a few different scopes for NRL22, PRS type shooting and some long range playing around.
Im planning on buying used since thats the only way I can justify getting the level of glass I want on a 22
Im back and fourth between a few like a Vortex Razor gen 2, Athlon Cronus btr gen 2, Leupold Mark 5hd, maybe even a Valdada Recon G2
I see a lot of conflicting reviews on all of these especially the Valdada... Seems everyone on this page hates them and other places and videos I see people love them.

Does anyone run any of the above options?
If so what do you lile or not like about it???

The Athlon Cronus BTR I had would parallax down enough I almost considered putting it on my pcp air gun. Went with a smaller size optic for that gun but a Cronus would do well on a .22

Reactions: NewsShooter
I had a Razor gen-2 4.5-27x56 on my Vudoo for a couple of years. That scope adjusts down to 32 yards - at full power. None of the competitions I've shot in the past get that close... but I've never, ever come close to wanting or needing anything close to max magnification during a match anyway. Magnification was usually set at 12-15x, which made precise focus nice but certainly not necessary.

My point: I found the big, heavy, rugged scope to be perfectly adequate for .22 match use. Why did I take it off? I replaced it with a gen-3 6-36x56. Better glass, better field of view, focuses down to 10 yards - I can't imagine needing to focus that close.

I had a Razor gen-2 4.5-27x56 on my Vudoo for a couple of years. That scope adjusts down to 32 yards - at full power. None of the competitions I've shot in the past get that close... but I've never, ever come close to wanting or needing anything close to max magnification during a match anyway. Magnification was usually set at 12-15x, which made precise focus nice but certainly not necessary.

My point: I found the big, heavy, rugged scope to be perfectly adequate for .22 match use. Why did I take it off? I replaced it with a gen-3 6-36x56. Better glass, better field of view, focuses down to 10 yards - I can't imagine needing to focus that close.
BOOM

If you find one in the wild check out Meopta optika6. I am running the 5-30/56mm. Very clear even at 30 power.

Reactions: wb00757
Get a Nightforce SHV FFP and thank me later.
don't listen to this. probably one of the WORST scopes anyone could recommend for a 22

betwen your options. razor gen 2 is my pick, but see below

but if you don't need a tree or illumination

if you do

Reactions: beetroot
It's not on your list but I wanted to toss in the Burris XTR3 if you havent looked into them. For the prices they are going for now with the new Pro coming out..They are tough to beat. The SCR2 is also a great reticle for the PRS game.

Reactions: Schütze
I went round and round with rimfire optics in that price range. I went with a gently-used Kahles K525i. There is better at the $3400 MSRP, but it is great at $2400 used. I would also strongly look at Burris XTR 3 or Pro.

Reactions: Schütze
Personally, I don't think you need to spend a huge quantity of money to get a good scope. The Athlon Midas-Tac or Helos BTR GenII are great and focus down to 10 yards. Choice of reticles too. These can be had for between $500 and $600. Check Amazon.

I just picked up a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44. Parallax down to 10 yards. I'm pretty happy with it though I would opt for the 50mm if I could do it again. They also make a 6-24x50mm. I got the ZMOAi-T30 reticle, but they have several other options. Might be worth a look.

We’ve had good luck with Midas Tac’s as well.

If not wanting to spend too much:

Currently running a few Athlon MidasTac's and after looking through a Vortex Strike Eagle last year, I grabbed one off Experticity to try out. The 5-25x56 StrikeEagle has all the features that make it nice to include the lens shade and at less money than the MidasTac. The best part of the Vortex is that it has pretty much a toolless zero stop, also to me the glass is a little bit brighter. Both companies are lifetime warranty, if problems develop.