• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options for Adding More Elevation

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    So I've been running an S&B 5-25x in a 40MOA mount for...ages. That's given me a reliable 26 mils of elevation, which has been sufficient for most distances I shoot, but occasionally I hit the limits and need to zoom out a bit and hold for more elevation. I'm done with that now and need to look into options for adding more elevation to my setup. The most obvious solutions seem to break down into one (or a combo) of three options:

1. Upgrade to a scope with more elevation (ZCO 5-27x has 35mils, S&B 3-27x DTII+ has 39.5mils)
    2. Get an inclination adjustable mount with more than 40MOA (ETA TAC mount has either 0-20mils or 25-45mils)
    3. Get a prism (TacomHQ or NF)

Option 1 is a hefty investment and if I went that route I would probably also get Option 2 as well.

Option 2 alone is the least expensive route, however my rifle is NOT a dedicated ELR rifle (I shoot 20" 6.5x47L up to 36" .338LM Improved 40) so I need something that I can still use for everything else. So the 25-45mil version would pretty much be out of the question as the lowest inclination of 25mils would be like have an 85MOA mount. But the 0-20mil version wouldn't really add much to what I have, maybe 8mils at most.

Option 3 is the one thing I know zero about. It seems like it would cost somewhere between Option 1 & 2, and would only need to be added for ELR shooting.

What say you?

So....Bravo or Charlie?

Bravo seems the simplest - just zero out scope elevation, add Bravo, start from 30 mils

The Charlie seems to allow you to adjust the elevation on the unit, and not a fixed value like the Bravo?

So....Bravo or Charlie?

Bravo seems the simplest - just zero out scope elevation, add Bravo, start from 30 mils

The Charlie seems to allow you to adjust the elevation on the unit, and not a fixed value like the Bravo?
    If u got the scratch the Charlie for sure.

Go with the TARAC. The adjustable mount is just not repeatable. The TARAC is repeatable, precise and can be moved between rifles.
    This.
    It’s reliable, convenient and you’ll probably never be lacking in elevation again.

I’m running a Cronus on a 45 moa rail and have about 27 mils available.
    With my CT usually set at 35 mils I don’t have any dead spots in coverage.
    With my 7mm I had the ability to put 70 mils into the CT a few times.

Buy once, cry once means I’m probably going to have to get the Mk8…damnit.

Thanks

• Haha
    Reactions: Steel head
    I wouldn't do any of them. I'd keep holding over. How often are you really going to use that much elevation?

Reactions: Emerson0311
    An increasing amount.
    If you are going to do this more, I'm sure you have figured by now that a little extra distance at long range equals a lot more elevation. That sorta rules out just getting a new scope as you don't get that much extra elevation with a new scope.

I've been wondering the same as you for the past couple of months but have decided to try a elevating mount. From my research, the mounts you can buy now are a lot tighter tolerances than those you could get 5 years ago.

I have used the following for shooting ELR out to 3080 yards in match conditions on 40 x 40 plate.
    1. Ivey 50 mile adjustable 1 piece mount
    2. Coldbore adjustable rail mount
    3. Charley Tarac set at 30 mils
    4. NF Prism set to 28.9 mils
    I liked the Ivey over the Coldbore. The Coldbore puts the scope just to high for my taste. The Ivey is lower but the drawback for me was as you add elevation you keep having to adjust the your head position to get in the scope eye box. Both for me were spot on repeatable.
    Both the Charlie and Prism are good because you don't change you head position. I like the NF better than the Charlie for one reason only. With the NF you don't lose as much of the light transmission as with the Charlie. If you are shooting in very sunny conditions you don't notice the light loss on the Charlie but if it overcast or getting dark then you can really see the difference between the two.
    In the last ELR match This was my set up
    Total of 50 moa in the base and mount, S&B 3x27 (34 mil version) and NF Prism set to 28.9 mils. This gives me a total of 62.7 so I am good passed 2 miles.
    Good luck in whatever you pick

So I've been running an S&B 5-25x in a 40MOA mount for...ages. That's given me a reliable 26 mils of elevation, which has been sufficient for most distances I shoot, but occasionally I hit the limits and need to zoom out a bit and hold for more elevation. I'm done with that now and need to look into options for adding more elevation to my setup. The most obvious solutions seem to break down into one (or a combo) of three options:

1. Upgrade to a scope with more elevation (ZCO 5-27x has 35mils, S&B 3-27x DTII+ has 39.5mils)
    2. Get an inclination adjustable mount with more than 40MOA (ETA TAC mount has either 0-20mils or 25-45mils)
    3. Get a prism (TacomHQ or NF)

Option 1 is a hefty investment and if I went that route I would probably also get Option 2 as well.

Option 2 alone is the least expensive route, however my rifle is NOT a dedicated ELR rifle (I shoot 20" 6.5x47L up to 36" .338LM Improved 40) so I need something that I can still use for everything else. So the 25-45mil version would pretty much be out of the question as the lowest inclination of 25mils would be like have an 85MOA mount. But the 0-20mil version wouldn't really add much to what I have, maybe 8mils at most.

Option 3 is the one thing I know zero about. It seems like it would cost somewhere between Option 1 & 2, and would only need to be added for ELR shooting.

What say you?
    I say that your three options are second rate at best, simply because you do not have the best option listed, the March Genesis series of riflescopes. Your listed options stretch the capabilities of the riflescopes, forcing you to add doodads in front of your riflescope, or forcing you to look through the riflescope off center, or forcing you to add doodads under your scope and maybe foregoing reliability and precision in settings in a Rube Goldberg arrangement.

The March Genesis 6-60X56 HM provides up to 100 MIL of up elevation and 40MIL of windage, while still looking through the exact center of the riflescope getting the best IQ from the High Master Super-ED lenses. If 100 MIL of up elevation is too much for you, look at the March Genesis 4-40X52 HM with only 72MIL of up elevation, again through the exact center of a the High Master Super-ED lenses.

• Haha
    Reactions: acudaowner

What say you?

I dunno -- Charlie TARAC is going to start at least $1500. There are other options besides the ERA-TAC (Ivey and Cold Shot come to mind), but they're going to do the same thing mechanically for you without having to buy another scope. Just how far are you trying to engage?

1634443880673.png

coldshot03b.jpg

Capture-3-660x303.jpg

Last edited:
    In this Mark and Sam youtube, Mark has a 20-MOA Nightforce mount on top of another 40-MOA mount (with an NXS with 128-MOA range). Go to 11:25

Last edited:
    i'm a total nobody... but i went with nightforce prism... 50 moa was looking the 100 but i ran up on a deal...my friend has the ivey an loves it..

I saw that vid. It looks like a good explanation of options. I don't think he had the Ivey base in there though.
    The Ivey does add a bit to the height as well. Just yesterday I took off the cheek riser completely and just put some mousepad and tape directly on the tube of the stock, right where the buttplate attaches. This lowers my head, but I'm left eye dominant s I just roll my head over crooked and shoot that way it works good so far. Before that, with the cheek riser completely raised, my right eye was GTG in the eyebox for about 20MOA elevation, any farther and there's no adjustment on the cheek riser.

I'm looking to get more time from 100-1250 with the Ivey/Sightron setup. Having a single base MOA in one unit makes the calculations super easy. dial base / hold reticle.