• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Options for Alpha glass on new build

DevilDoc27

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2018
Looking for some input on what the best bang for the buck is with a $2k limit might budge a little on that for new or used Elite/Alpha class glass. I run a DMR2-i on my production class rifle. I am currently building an open class rifle and looking for some opinions. Razor Gen 2, Cronus BTR, XRS 2, or anything else? I have tried my best to get behind different brands but honestly feels like I need to actually use them in a match in order to realistically see the difference. Thanks in advance for any input.

It would be our pleasure to discuss different options with you. If you have a few minutes please give us a call, 516-217-1000. As a long time supporting vendor here it is always our pleasure to "meet" the members and discuss what's the best options for them.

Nowadays these scopes are getting very close to each in various ways.

I'd say to choose by whether you want locking turrets or not or how close you want the focus to be on max magnification and which reticle you prefer.

You might be able to get into used S&B 5-25 which is a small step up in glass and quality.

It's not uncommon to see used Cronus BTR's going for $1300 and less.

Reactions: DevilDoc27
Nowadays these scopes are getting very close to each in various ways.

I'd say to choose by whether you want locking turrets or not or how close you want the focus to be on max magnification and which reticle you prefer.

You might be able to get into used S&B 5-25 which is a small step up in glass and quality.

It's not uncommon to see used Cronus BTR's going for $1300 and less.
I tend to lean towards my definition of a useable reticle that are similar to the SKMR3 or basically any sort of Christmas tree type with open center or small floating dot, unless the lines are thin enough to have a solid crosshair. I find the hold points in the reticles very useful for movers or stages where only holdover/under is allowed with no dialing.

$2k budget? That's easy Leupold Mark 5HD . If you shop around (I would try Eruoptic first) you can get scope and rings for right at 2k.

It would be our pleasure to discuss different options with you. If you have a few minutes please give us a call, 516-217-1000. As a long time supporting vendor here it is always our pleasure to "meet" the members and discuss what's the best options for them.
Is that your direct number or who am I asking for?

There are so many options today, do you care about weight, are you trying stay within the 5-25 range (or more or less?), do you have a preference for reticle, do you like center dots. By and large, with so many good scopes available today, it is typically recommended that you decide which reticle(s) you like and feel will help you the most for the type of shooting you intend to do, once you have the reticle narrowed down that will limit the options on scopes.

There are so many options today, do you care about weight, are you trying stay within the 5-25 range (or more or less?), do you have a preference for reticle, do you like center dots. By and large, with so many good scopes available today, it is typically recommended that you decide which reticle(s) you like and feel will help you the most for the type of shooting you intend to do, once you have the reticle narrowed down that will limit the options on scopes.
I do want more magnification then my DMR2 offers (x21), I tend to lean towards Christmas tree type reticles that allow for good hold overs and windage as well as good for movers, I like floating center dots, open centers or IF the crosshair is fine enough to not consume the target then I would shoot that as well. I'm liking the H59, Tremor 3, EBR2-c, SKMR 3, and similar reticles. I do like the G3 reticle that I run now I just notice it consumes the target a little more then I would like. I have seen pictures of the Athlon reticle in the Cronus BTR and Ares ETR both of those seem nice more so the Ares ETR reticle.

For 2k Razor Gen II.

Doug gave me a GREAT deal on mine. Much less then what you see selling on here.

I do want more magnification then my DMR2 offers (x21), I tend to lean towards Christmas tree type reticles that allow for good hold overs and windage as well as good for movers, I like floating center dots, open centers or IF the crosshair is fine enough to not consume the target then I would shoot that as well. I'm liking the H59, Tremor 3, EBR2-c, SKMR 3, and similar reticles. I do like the G3 reticle that I run now I just notice it consumes the target a little more then I would like. I have seen pictures of the Athlon reticle in the Cronus BTR and Ares ETR both of those seem nice more so the Ares ETR reticle.
Thank you Doc, that helps. Your best deals are going to come from the classifieds here on the Hide, but you don't always find the reticles you are looking for. With Horus rets you can sometimes find some great deals on Schmidt but they are usually the older reticles like H58/Tre3, if you can find a used Minox ZP5 with MR4 reticle you're golden as glass is only bested by TT which you'll pay a lot more for and used they can sometimes be in the $2500ish range. The new Leupold Mark 5HD is getting great reviews and if you don't need illumination they can be had right in your price point with the Tremor3, of course the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 is pretty much one of the most sought after scopes for a comp gun, and the price is right as well.

I do have a question for you, you mention the G3 reticle "consumes the target a little more than I would like", do you mean it's thickness? I ask because the Horus reticles are even busier than the G3, but if it's pure thickness then I'd recommend looking at a Kahles K624i with SKMR3 used as the prices are dropping with the new K525i on the horizon. The SKMR3 is one of the thinnest but usable reticles I've experience and the K624i is an awesome scope with great resolution and incredible brightness.

Thank you Doc, that helps. Your best deals are going to come from the classifieds here on the Hide, but you don't always find the reticles you are looking for. With Horus rets you can sometimes find some great deals on Schmidt but they are usually the older reticles like H58/Tre3, if you can find a used Minox ZP5 with MR4 reticle you're golden as glass is only bested by TT which you'll pay a lot more for and used they can sometimes be in the $2500ish range. The new Leupold Mark 5HD is getting great reviews and if you don't need illumination they can be had right in your price point with the Tremor3, of course the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 is pretty much one of the most sought after scopes for a comp gun, and the price is right as well.

I do have a question for you, you mention the G3 reticle "consumes the target a little more than I would like", do you mean it's thickness? I ask because the Horus reticles are even busier than the G3, but if it's pure thickness then I'd recommend looking at a Kahles K624i with SKMR3 used as the prices are dropping with the new K525i on the horizon. The SKMR3 is one of the thinnest but usable reticles I've experience and the K624i is an awesome scope with great resolution and incredible brightness.
The G3 just seems too thick, that’s what I was considering open center or small floating dot

I also think that some of the best deals come from dealers over the phone :)
Certainly the best deals on "new" scopes come from the Hide vendors :) They are definitely worth calling before you pull the trigger and there are times where they're running specials and such that can make their prices even better than used, but it is rare.

Also, I can highly recommend Richard and Mike at CS Tactical, they are great guys and awesome to work with!

I a new owner of a Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27. It can be had in good condition for under $2k and I think it's one of the best values in a top quality scope out there. About the only knock on it is that it's heavy. But it checks all the boxes and after using it a few times I'm very pleased with my choice.

Reactions: DevilDoc27
Certainly the best deals on "new" scopes come from the Hide vendors :) They are definitely worth calling before you pull the trigger and there are times where they're running specials and such that can make their prices even better than used, but it is rare.

Also, I can highly recommend Richard and Mike at CS Tactical, they are great guys and awesome to work with!
Better to deal with CST than some OTHER dealers who carry the same products who advertise "SH pricing".....