• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ordered a prefit in July...still not done....reasonable??

Davehc130

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2013
Seriously....ordered a prefit back in July...still not done...emailed and no response...maybe I should just buy a lathe and do my own barrels...don't want to call out the Smith , but dang....over 16 weeks to spin a barrel???!!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 338dude
Seriously....ordered a prefit back in July...still not done...emailed and no response...maybe I should just buy a lathe and do my own barrels...don't want to call out the Smith , but dang....over 16 weeks to spin a barrel???!!!!!
I had one done from preferred prefits and it was 10 weeks.

• Sad
I had a similar experience - after long wait tried to cancel and the fees for cancellation were so high I said finish it. I ended up buying another barrel and now I have an extra barrel in the corner.

• Angry
it's the wait that kills , I waited twice for a year for a scope that was supposed to be in stock I for got all about the wait once It finally arrived one of them arrived with the wrong rings not such a big deal send the wrong ones back and get the new ones 6 months later yea shit happens . It all takes me back to this .

good luck and I hope you get your barrel soon and it's way better than you hoped it would be .

• Wow
vultures-patience-my-ass A.JPG

Do you care sharing ? Business's that are good to do business with should be acknowledged
Here. I'll share. I use Caleb Morris from Alpha & Omega Rifle and Tool. Less than 1 week turnaround. Honestly, probably less than 72 hours for TWO barrels! I'm only saying a week because of UPS shipping.

There you go, now everyone will go to him and his wait times will increase to 8+ months 🤣🤣😂😂

That's too long to wait for a prefit unless the holdup is caused by outside factors (like the smith is waiting on a barrel that he had to special order for you).

OK I'll jump in here.....

If someone has a blank you can get your hands on or should I say if you already have a blank you've got 50% of the battle already done then finding a smith to put it on....usually can be done pretty quick and again depending on the smiths back log/work load.

Pandemic, riot, election year, the fear of guns/ammo being taxed or taken away, defunding the police etc...and not to mention the amount of new gun owners buying guns and ammo....none of it could've been predicted or even geared up for to some extent.

I seen a guy a month ago at the local Fleet Farm store wailing his arms all over the place and complaining out loud that the ammo companies are not making any ammo. So I finally said to the guy...."all of the ammo and bullet makers etc...are working over time!" After explaining everything to him....he says, " so we have the perfect storm going on!" I said, "yep!"

If you haven't seen already.....ammo is tough to find, bullets, primers etc...We also make ammunition test barrels and not just test barrels but on all kinds of barrels we make....just in the last 8-9 weeks our orders are up 40%.

Back in late June thru July (let's say 4-5 week time frame) test barrel orders where up 3x more than normal compared to a regular month.

We don't make inventory per say. There is no way to predict even on a bolt gun blank what the next guy is going to want. If I had that crystal ball to pick caliber, contour, twist, number of grooves, barrel length and type of steel I could work at any company on this planet and name my salary.

Word on the street is....primer makers are no longer taking any orders as they are booked into 2022 now and brass makers seem like they are in the same boat. Go on Lee reloadings website. Back in April they are asking customers to not even call and place orders but go thru distributors only. That tells me they cannot handle the amount of orders/demand being put on them and they are working over time and weekends.

If Biden gets in.....expect the problem or the demand to get worse for everything in the firearms industry. We will all be in this boat for the next 2 to 4 years at a minimum. Remember what it was like when Obama was President. He was the best gun salesman this country has ever had.

We are making stuff as fast as we can as well as trying to help with emergency orders to some extent in regards to test barrels etc....if a bullet maker/ammo maker doesn't have test barrels....then that product gets put on the back burner or has to get rescheduled etc...and don't forget the ammo maker is also supplying ammo to the military and law enforcement agencies besides us match rifle shooters. One guy I talked to testing 300 Norma for the military told me last week he had to stop testing. Why? Out of ammo!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I won't say who the scope maker is.....but the guy told me that it's the first time in the company's history....they have no scopes or spotting scopes etc...in inventory. He said the warehouse is completely empty. That was like 2 months ago.

It's across the board guys...everything is in short supply / tight right now.

Reactions: Victory
I won't say who the scope maker is.....but the guy told me that it's the first time in the company's history....they have no scopes or spotting scopes etc...in inventory. He said the warehouse is completely empty. That was like 2 months ago.

It's across the board guys...everything is in short supply / tight right now.

Holy crap

Here. I'll share. I use Caleb Morris from Alpha & Omega Rifle and Tool. Less than 1 week turnaround. Honestly, probably less than 72 hours for TWO barrels! I'm only saying a week because of UPS shipping.

There you go, now everyone will go to him and his wait times will increase to 8+ months 🤣🤣😂😂
Does he do tikka pre fits? Didnot see anything on his websites

Great guy him and Ryan Hunt in MO have awesome turnarounds.

Reactions: NiteQwill
So I just looked I placed my ordered with Straight Jacket Armory on 8/8/20 for a bartlein prefit so that’s pretty close to July and way over there advertised delivery time. I placed on order with bartlein about the same time for a gain twist 6mm and have had it for a while.

So I just looked I placed my ordered with Straight Jacket Armory on 8/8/20 for a bartlein prefit so that’s pretty close to July and way over there advertised delivery time. I placed on order with bartlein about the same time for a gain twist 6mm and have had it for a while.

That's what is also hard for us....some shops call and place orders but we don't always know who the barrel is for. So then the end customer calls us to check on the barrel and gives us his name but we cannot find an order in house and then the guy goes....oh, so and so shop ordered it. Again most of the time we have no way of knowing who it is for.

Glad we could get you one and that you have it!

Later, Frank

I ordered a prefit from them on 3/27 and just received it. It was a Proof carbon and they waited forever to get the blank from Proof. Nick had the barrel chambered and shipped to me within 2 days of receiving the blank. A lot of what’s going on is out of their control and delivery times are hard to predict in today’s climate.

My Bartlein blank from June just arrived - they quoted end of November and got it in a few weeks early. I wouldn’t be surprised if the prefit is waiting on blanks.

I’ve had great results from him too, and his prices are awesome.

I've used John from Keystone Accuracy before, ordered an Impact Precision pre-fit on Wednesday afternoon and had a tracking number for it on Friday morning. Spun it right on and it shot great.
shot_1554451487428.jpg

I've also used Preece Precision, but I did have to send him my action to get it measured since it had a non-standard headspace (old Mausingfield). Shipped my action out on a Monday, had it back in my hands with a new barrel attached less than 10 days later. Other barrels spin right on and still shoot great - these were the first 10 rounds down the tube after sighting in my new Dasher barrel.
SmartSelect_20200726-122205_Photos (1).jpg

There are a fair few gunsmiths who get great results and don't take months to ship out barrels, you just have to ask around instead of placing orders with the big popular smiths that have long backlogs of work.

I understand your frustration. I have barrels on order and I was told 4 months out. And these are blanks. I have stocks on order from a company in Florida. Ordered august 22nd. I read an article just yesterday about primers. Now 98% are going to factory ammo production. These are the times we are in. Be easy on your smith. I will bet he is waiting on product.

I ordered a prefit for my rifle in June. Was told 4-8 weeks and still no barrel.

Bummer you have to wait so long. If the smith communicated the lead time and it’s still within those bounds, it’s on you. If not, it’s on them. This type of behavior is rampant in the gun industry. I currently have a vendor I am waiting on an Armageddon gear medium game changer. I paid 14 weeks ago and still no bag or refund. Asked several time for either the product or refund. Still out the $90 and no bag. The vendors who pull this may surprise you. Pretty pathetic we spend this kind of money and get people essentially scamming us for money. That said, lots of companies are top notch. So it goes both ways.

well seems like this is an issue for many...not going to name the smith, hoping to receive it soon...if it is a shooter under 1/2 I will be satisfied....however I am seriously considering buying my own lath and learning to chamber my own...

These days, stuff happens, and folks get behind, even way behind.

Did you try more than one email with no response? Try multiples plus phone calls and even hard mail, the guy owes you some communication.

If none is forthcoming, out the dude, maybe save someone else a bad experience like you're having.

JMHO.

ON THIS SUBJECT: Has anyone noticed a surge in unsavory types on the net in our industry.......rip-off types? I'll admit I got ripped, and it hurt. Makes me more wary than ever now.