• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ordered a savage in .260 today

klyon

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2012
Ohio
Very excited I finally got the money set aside to order an actual long range rifle today. I ordered a Savage 11/111 long range hunter in Remington .260. It has a 24 inch barrel, acustock and acu trigger with an adjustable muzzle brake. I am going to put a Leopold mark 4 8.5-25×50 scope on the gun with an EGW 20MOA base and Burris extreme tactical rings. To finish it off I have a Harris s-series leg notch bipod. Has anyone had experience with these rifles? I am just wanting to get some opinions.

Re: ordered a savage in .260 today

Ya done good !!!! Shoots well beyond what the price may dictate. You're set up for well beyond 1000 yards. Spend time shooting and learning the gun, you'll amaze yourself and others with it. Hope to see you down at Rayners this summer. We start up the 4th Sunday of February and then each 4th Sunday each month after that. Rayners also allows use of his range for the paltry sum of $10.00 per person for the entire day. Soon as weather breaks and we still have guns to shoot we'll be spending plenty of time there tweaking ours. Be glad to have you join us.

Topstrap

Where exactly is Rayners at Topstrap? I have heard of it but never been there. I don't live far from Thunder valley and have shot there with my cousin. I am hoping this rifle is what I expect. I have alwaysbeen a savage fan my last long distance rifle was a savage model 12 fvss in .308 and I took it to 1000 yards. I was very happy with that but I really wanted a rifle in .260 and this model offered some really good options for under a thousand bucks.

Here is their website http://www.raynersrange.com/ . Address in in the directions tab.

From I-70 it's about the same distance from Cambridge to Thunder Valley as it is from Cambridge to Rayners. More back roads but not that hard to find once you've been there a couple times.

Topstrap

Thanks for the info I hope to make it down to Rayners in the spring. Hope to see you there. I cant wait to see what this .260 can do.

klyon

My buddy has the same rifle and it shoots fantastic. We loaded up some 139 Scenar's with Vita N170 and it likes that. I will see if I can find out what charge he is using. 45 grains comes to mind, but let me make sure on that.

I just got a .260 lrp, I'll have to make the trip up there to meet you guys this Spring.

I was doing some research on the web and everyone had good things to say about this rifle. Savage has a good name and reputation for being accurate out of the box. I thought the leupold mark 4 8.5-25 was a good match for the rifle and was hoping this setup would shoot well past 1250 yards.

Gun came in today just went and got it. From first impressions I actually was not very impressed. But I had to really take a look at the rifle to appreciate what it had to offer. Out of the box the barrel was thinner than what I would like. That was the part that worried me most about the rifle was if the barrel would heat up to much. Besides that the accu-stock had the adjustable cheek piece and aluminum bedding which is a plus. The adjustable muzzle brake was solid and easy to adjust on or off. I am worried about the barrel it just disappointed me.

One good thing about the Savage's ... if you find the barrel a problem, they can easily be swapped. You can even recoupe a portion of your money by selling the old one on savageshooters.com. On a side note, two of my buddies have the 260 in a LRP and they are both shooters.

Klyon, yeah, I think the barrel is like .790 and tapers. If you wanted a heavy barrel version, you would have had to step up to the LRP. Those barrels are about 1" at the muzzle. And cost more I think.. but you get a better stock too.

Took the rifle back this afternoon to local gun shop. Asked them to return it to the supplier and order the savage .260 LRP. The LRP was only 150 dollars more. Not a hard decision there so It should be in about 9 days. Hopefully this one impresses me more than the last one.

Love the .260! Great choice and you have lots of options to customize in the future. Good luck and keep us informed on how it shoots.

I will keep you all posted. Cant wait for it to come in.
Thanks for all the help.