• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oregon longe range video

Re: Oregon longe range video

Wish I could of been there
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish I could of been there
smile.gif
</div></div>

+1 to that, looks like some nice country. I think the first video needs to be put in a different forum though, this is the 1000+ yard forum not 970, just kidding, nice videos

Nice shootin' boys. Love the videos. Keep them coming please!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2OFUZZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is some 1437 on the first video to. </div></div>
The second video starts out shooting 1437.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a road you are shooting across?????? Just sayin. </div></div>

Cummon Steve? Do you really think we would do something that dumb? It is the road we are on and there was a car blocking the way.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a road you are shooting across?????? Just sayin. </div></div>

Cummon Steve? Do you really think we would do something that dumb? It is the road we are on and there was a car blocking the way.

Jason </div></div>
It was the grocery store and elementary school in the background that worried me. :)hahahahahhahahha

Was a good time. Thanks for getting the video of the 260... don't think some would believe me if it wasn't captured!

What platform 338 are you pushing and scope? nice videos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a road you are shooting across?????? Just sayin. </div></div>

My car was blocking the road. It was a fun shoot even though the winds were swirling bad.

Definately a fun day. That 260 was impressive to say the least. My wife might have to get one of those.

Which ballistic application did you find to be the most accurate? Do the Droids take actual readings at your locale including barometric? great shooting

As far as i can tell yes the droid takes all info off your location. I think the apple takes it off the closest weather station.

hmm, maybe i need to join you guys sometime. i'm in stayton. not looking for a place to shoot, just other guys to shoot with.

i've got a custom 6.5x47 and a 338 rogue(338-378 improved) to play with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2OFUZZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as i can tell yes the droid takes all info off your location. I think the apple takes it off the closest weather station. </div></div>

Not sure how the droid would get it any different. I'm pretty sure there isn't a barometer in them.

who needs a kestrel when you have a droid;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MacBookProAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2OFUZZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as i can tell yes the droid takes all info off your location. I think the apple takes it off the closest weather station. </div></div>

Not sure how the droid would get it any different. I'm pretty sure there isn't a barometer in them. </div></div>

Yep, straight from the Shooter website:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Automatically populate Altitude, Temperature, Pressure, Humidity and Wind Speed by pulling data from the nearest weather station based off GPS location (Density Altitude may also be used instead of altitude/pressure/humidity input). </div></div>

Same as Ballistic FTE. It works damn good either way... although I've taken to manually entering density altitude off of my kestrel instead of the auto atmosphere.

so wouldn't that be the same as an iphone pulling from nearest weather station, or am i missing something?

Yes, same thing.

I think some people get confused because when Shooter pulls the data a little screen pops up that says "GPS fix accurate to XXX feet". That XXX is often as little as 50 feet or less, which lends people to think they're getting their true conditions. Well, the GPS fix is that accurate, but it still just finds the closest station based on that reading.

ok, cool. i'm not crazy. thanks for the clarification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that a road you are shooting across?????? Just sayin. </div></div>

Jason </div></div>

I wouldn't think so but I have certainly had my moments of "lapse in judgement" over the years and don't put anything past anyone. Just wouldn't want to see anyone get in trouble.

Thanks for sharing.

Couldn't help noticing the conversation...You guys need at least a mil-dot or ranging reticle on one of the other rifles that match what the shooter is using whether MRAD or MOA. "3FT....Inches..." That will help the spotter and shooter be on the same page when communicating splash location.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, same thing.

I think some people get confused because when Shooter pulls the data a little screen pops up that says "GPS fix accurate to XXX feet". That XXX is often as little as 50 feet or less, which lends people to think they're getting their true conditions. Well, the GPS fix is that accurate, but it still just finds the closest station based on that reading. </div></div>

Typical Droid users
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for sharing.

Couldn't help noticing the conversation...You guys need at least a mil-dot or ranging reticle on one of the other rifles that match what the shooter is using whether MRAD or MOA. "3FT....Inches..." That will help the spotter and shooter be on the same page when communicating splash location. </div></div>

Don't think it made the edit, but when scottishtornado was shooting I was giving him mil corrections (and vice versa later on). We both shoot mils and I have a Leupold spotter with a TMR. Everyone else was rocking MOA so back to the "feet / inches" spotting. It was the first time many of us had shot together...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for sharing.

Couldn't help noticing the conversation...You guys need at least a mil-dot or ranging reticle on one of the other rifles that match what the shooter is using whether MRAD or MOA. "3FT....Inches..." That will help the spotter and shooter be on the same page when communicating splash location. </div></div>

Don't think it made the edit, but when scottishtornado was shooting I was giving him mil corrections (and vice versa later on). We both shoot mils and I have a Leupold spotter with a TMR. Everyone else was rocking MOA so back to the "feet / inches" spotting. It was the first time many of us had shot together... </div></div>

That and most of the guys are pretty new to the game. They arent trained mil guys. Its the use what you know thing. I havent ever had a spotter that new what they were doing so I dont listen. Adam and Mac are pretty good when it comes to that stuff. Adams shooting with the 260 was beyond impressive. Not only ability but the fact that the 260 was making repeditive hits beyond transonic! Good shooting my friend. Good times. Sorry I had to leave too early. Only so many days I can get in the shop to make money. We will have to do it again. On the droid thing..... I was told because it has true GPS and not cellular GPS that it pulls data from an average of surrounding weather stations. It has allways been more accurate than the Iphones I have been around. The more important part is to actually know what buttons to push and what not to push. Most of the guys use if for a substitute for knowledge and practice. Which is fine, but it wont ever take the place of real data recorded and studied for future refrence. If its used as a tool and not a crutch it works well.

Jason

strictlyRUM I was told because it has true GPS and not cellular GPS . Jason [/quote said:
What is the difference?

Thanks for sharing your video. Where would you western Oregon guys shoot if it wasn't for clear cuts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That and most of the guys are pretty new to the game. They arent trained mil guys. Its the use what you know thing. I havent ever had a spotter that new what they were doing so I dont listen. Adam and Mac are pretty good when it comes to that stuff. Adams shooting with the 260 was beyond impressive. Not only ability but the fact that the 260 was making repeditive hits beyond transonic! Good shooting my friend. Good times. Sorry I had to leave too early. Only so many days I can get in the shop to make money. We will have to do it again. On the droid thing..... I was told because it has true GPS and not cellular GPS that it pulls data from an average of surrounding weather stations. It has allways been more accurate than the Iphones I have been around. The more important part is to actually know what buttons to push and what not to push. Most of the guys use if for a substitute for knowledge and practice. Which is fine, but it wont ever take the place of real data recorded and studied for future refrence. If its used as a tool and not a crutch it works well.

Jason </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words. That was the first time I've had the 260 past 200 yards (ARPC), and was only rounds 100-150. Needless to say I'm happy with that AAC barrel and am looking forward to lots of shooting with it.

Definitely going to try and get out there again soon, and often this spring / summer.

I love Oregon clear cuts- especially when there's elk walking around them! I have a 600m cut just a mile from home, and bigger ones a few miles away.
clearcut.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Jason </div></div>

Thanks for the kind words. That was the first time I've had the 260 past 200 yards (ARPC), and was only rounds 100-150. Needless to say I'm happy with that AAC barrel and am looking forward to lots of shooting with it.

Definitely going to try and get out there again soon, and often this spring / summer. </div></div>

So, if you're the "DONG" guy that was some awesome shooting! I missed it if one of you guys quoted an elevation?

BTW, your unit patch in your signature. Isn't that the Cadre unit patch for Ft. Beginning?

If memory serves me correct Jason said he was listening for the long dong so I would adopt the name long dong, after all Jason said it. ;-)

Mac

Actually in video 2 you hear Jason saying "stroking the long dong". Not starting rumors but Jason can you clarify what you meant?...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job - way to get out there {<span style="color: #3333FF"> edit: "Long dong"}</span> :
laugh.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Good luck</div></div>

Couldn't help it, it was just there!
grin.gif

What density altitude was that?

I'll say again that was some awesome shooting. But you know, "No good deed ever goes unpunished" - Murphy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

1650 according to my logbook (from Kestrel 4000).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

1650 according to my logbook (from Kestrel 4000).</div></div>

Looking at the terrain and the trees I would've thought somewhere around 4000' ASL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Looking at the terrain and the trees I would've thought somewhere around 4000' ASL. </div></div>

That spot actually isn't too high up. Actual altitude is only 1815' at the shooting line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Looking at the terrain and the trees I would've thought somewhere around 4000' ASL. </div></div>

That spot actually isn't too high up. Actual altitude is only 1815' at the shooting line. </div></div>

I logged up in Montana in the early nineties and before that in California. That just reminds me of those mountains. I sure do miss being in them instead of the flat ground here in Minnesota.

I'm sure those mountains don't have to be too high up to be a snow trap in the winter.

Anyhow, great pics! Send some more out the next time you guys go shooting.

Hey you guys were close enough that I should have been there! Would love to see how my RUM measures up. Nice shooting!

Well we made it back out today. Was a good time, and actually got realitively warm for about the first time all year.

lovdasnow made an impressive 3rd round hit on ~10" rock at 1618 yards with his 338 Rogue. The first two went about one foot high, then he put the third shot right on it. That was some good shootin'! Pic of the rock from the shooting line through Leupold spotter w/ TMR (arrow pointing at the rock):

1618_1-1.jpg

Shooting line:

2011-05-01_1.jpg

Various targets set out, 1600+ spot is out of view to the left:

ShootingLine.jpg

Hope to make it out there several more times this summer...

Heres some more pics and before you all say about shooting across roads you will notice in the 1st pic their is a truck blocking the only way onto the road.....enjoy.

DSCN0192.jpg

DSCN0193.jpg

DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0198.jpg

DSCN0197.jpg

DSCN0196.jpg

Heres that 1600+ spot A.J was talking about.

FSCN0173.jpg

To Jason: keep stroking the long dong and let Jesus mow your lawn....lol

Looks like a beautiful place to shoot. Must be a lot of wind reading though shooting that far over a valley!

LOL Jason is still laughing about the sign, it was really nice to shoot with you guys today.... Lets do it again!!!
Mark and Kc