• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oregon Tactical Rifle Championship 2014

Willys46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2007
Oregon City, OR
For those of us in the Northwest that have a limited number of matches to shoot, Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association (COSSA), specifically the Central Oregon Precision Riflemen are holding there first long-range tactical match. I have been helping them out to set up a challenging course of fire that utilizes their unique spacious shooting range.

They are opening up registration right now atOregon Tactical Rifle Championship 2014

This is a first come first serve sign up and only 60 spots available. This will fill up pretty fast!

We are hoping to build this match into something similar to the JC Steel match in the coming years. They have a great facility that will challenge the shooters. In Motion Targets has agreed to be there with their mover. http://www.inmotiontargets.com/ for additional fun.

Take a look at the registration page and if you have any question I will do the best I can to answer them. I am not the Match Director just an active shooter that has been helping them create a match with a course of fire we would want to shoot.

Just some background of the match directors, they have a lot of experience with running big matches. They have been holding the Big 3 Gun matches, Crimson Trace Night Shoots, and State Championship 3 gun.

If you not familiar with Bend, It is only 23 miles away. Great food, even better beer, and lots of things to keep the ladies busy while your out having fun!

Willys46

Sounds great. Looking over the website, I did not see when pre-reg opens? Also, what if we don't fit in the classes listed (military, senior, etc.)?

Thanks.

Seeds,
I have had that question a couple times.

The Signup for the match is going on right now via the link in the original post. The Pre-Registration is the Saturday before the match on the 6th. We would like the competitors to come out to the range to pick up shooter packets, Stage descriptions, and notify that you are indeed making it to the match. This way we do not have 60 people showing up the day of the match to sign-in and get directions and squad assignments. We hope this will allow us to get shooting right away!

At this time the range will be open for sight-in if you would like. They have a range out to 500 yards that will be open to sight in.

If you not in one of the Classes, you would be an open shooter.

Match Divisions:
• Open: MV’s 2801 – 3150 FPS----Most people fall into this.
•Limited: MV’s up to 2800 FPS----308 shooters typical fall into this, or slow shooting 260's

Additional classes......
Match Categories:
•Gas Gun (AR-10 Platforms, etc.)
•Law Enforcement
•Military
•Senior (55+)
•Super Senior (65+)
•Top Lady
•Top Junior

Can someone please PM me a Lat-Long for this shooting center where this is taking place?

Thanks

I have some questions about the "safety table". I am not familiar with 3 gun rules and regs but very familiar with running/participating in tactical matches. What is the safety table? It says that ammunition can not be handled at the safety table. When do prep our gear for the next stage?

Firearms must be transported with a chamber flag in, additionally it says in a case/bag. So we cant carry out long rifles on our shoulder with a sling? What about using a dust cover that encases the action and scope and fastens with buckles? (e.g. made by sunrise tactical Rifle scope cover )

Let me take a stab at it,
The safety table is set up for you to safely do function test of a weapon. Say you showed up and you know you do not have a chamber flag in your gun, you would incase it at the safety table and insert a flag. They want ammunition away from the safety table.

Loading mags can be done at the stage or walking up it, they just don't want you doing both at the same time (function testing and loading mags). Kinda like the function test some one did at JC Steel!

I will check the "gun case", but I was only planing on bringing a Elberstock pack. I would guess the rifle cover system you have will suffice. I will get a solid answer for you.

Willys46....Cody

We're getting close! I would first like to say thank you to all that have registered for the match. We are doing our best to make this a great match. If you haven't been to COSSA Park before, I think you will be impressed with the facilities and the long the range shooting opportunities. I have a few items I'd like to offer and some gentle reminders.

1. Please check our web site at: Central Oregon Precision Rifleman for the match check in times. If at all possible, please check in on Saturday between 4:00 and 7:00 PM. PLEASE NOTE, WE HAVE CHANGED THE SATURDAY STARTING CHECK IN TIME FROM 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM, ENDING AT 7:00 PM. If you get here a bit early, feel free to use the COSSA 200 yard range for zero checks. You will need to bring your own paper targets and stapler. Target stands are provided. There are bench rests available and steel out to 500 yards. The 200 yard range will be open to you after you check in time until dark on Saturday.

2. Chamber flags are required for all rifles. Any time your rifle is taken from whatever you are carrying it in, a chamber flag has got to be in plain view. After shooting, the ECI (empty chamber indicator) must be placed in the action area of the rifle before placing it back in you pack, case, or whatever you are storing the rifle in for transport from stage to stage.

3. We had to eliminate one stage due to current BLM fire restrictions. That stage will be re-opened for our June 2015 match. We added to some of our other stages. You will not be disappointed! You will still be shooting 7 stages total which include the 500 yard cold bore shot. Also, be prepared for a 1200 yard attempt at a military size IRON MAIDEN on stage 1. We lazed it today and it's spot on a 1200. Here's a clue, afternoon winds on this target are generally out of the SW at anywhere from 7 to 15 MPH, gusting higher at times. You will get to fire three rounds at this target.

4. Match books with all stage descriptions and yardages will be provided to you as part of your match packet upon check in. Match book is also available online at our website.

5. You will be able to sign up for your squads upon match check in.

6. If you are able to bring a good spotting scope and tri-pod, , PLEASE DO! We will have designated RO's and spotters but the more eyes we can get on the longer range steel, the better. If you have a quality spotting scope, we may ask you to assist your squad with spotting duties on the longer range steel.

Please feel free to call me with any questions or concerns. See you Saturday, September 6 !

the final stage descriptions and yardages are posted on the website at: Central Oregon Precision Rifleman click on the match information. The new shooters booklet is posted at the top of the match information page where "sign up here" used to be. Folks may have to hit their refresh button for match booklet and stage descriptions to replace the "sign up here" spot.

I got the last spot a few weeks ago. Time to see how the 18" 308 will do.

has anybody posted the results yet? i had to leave before the prize ceremony, and I am eager to know who won.

Good to know. I was wondering if anyone from our squad made it to the prize table. Is the scoresheet going to be posted somewhere?

All I've got to say is it was a very good match! The MD was great! The RO's were great! And the Shooters were great! I will add that there were a lot of Excellent Shooters there. My hats off to you guys and thanks for the privilege to get to shoot with you. Till next time. Dan

PS: I really just come to these shoots to see the really great shooters and get the T-shirts LOL, and I've got to say WOW! Besides witnessing some great shooting, the T-shirts are great! Other Matches are going to have to step up their game LOL.

Like wise I think it was a great match for the first match of this type they had ran. Stages were good, challenging but very doable! It ran smooth with little bottlenecks and with a little tweaking I in think we can eliminate them going forward.

Big thanks to In Motion Targets for bring their mover down and setting it up. It is always a great addition to a match. I am glad you guys got to shoot instead of RO that stage. Great shooting by the way.

The Central Oregon Precision Rifle group has a hand full of great people willing to step out of their comfort zone and host a match like this. With this success I am sure they/we will be holding additional matches at COSSA. As always these things do not happen without volunteers or people getting involved, if you live in the area give Dell and the crew a call and see if they could use your help. It is a lot of work for two or three people.

Thanks again and GREAT shooting to the winner! He laid an ASS whooping on us all!

I will see if I can get full results posted up today.

Thanks again,

Willys46----RO from stage 3

I also want give a shout out to Dell, Cody and the many volunteers and ROs that donated their time and energy to put on a successful match. Also to Carl and the folks from In Motion Targets for their time and support. Thank you guys! I had a great time. The COSSA facility is fantastic venue for putting on a match of this type, and I look forward attending next year's match.

Results_zpsa28ecf60.jpg

I wanted also to say thanks for a great match. To the sponsors, organizers and many volunteers, well done! Looking forward to next year.

I had a awesome time and learned a lot. I squaded with some of the top finishers who were a great help. My rifle crapped the bed so I wasnt able to finish. I was shooting horribly all day at least now I know it was the gun.

This was an awesome match! It was well run, excellent RO's and a course of fire that was reasonable and very practical. There were no stupid ridiculous shots that are purely luck. There were very few bottlenecks but plenty of challenges. In Motion Targets is an outstanding citizen in the shooting community. I really enjoy the shooters in this sport, many are willing to help new shooters. Good job guys!

Thanks to the In Motion Targets crew for making the trek to support the match. Northwest shooters benefit greatly from their involvement in events in our area. Thanks also to all of the competitors who hustled and helped clear their squad mates off the line to keep things moving along. Those little time savings really add up at the end of the day. Brainstorming is already under way to make next year's event a bit more challenging for the top shooters while providing everyone with interesting practical marksmanship problems to solve.