• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Organizing DOPE

OkieMike

avowed heathen knuckle dragger
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
NE Oklahoma
What is the best way to organize information gleaned from previous sessions?

I realize putting it down in some form of notebook is the physical way to keep track of it... But how do you organize it in such a way for future reference without having to go page by page by page until you locate a reference that matches your current condition.

For instance: Today (11/17) I went to the range. Fired 20 shots of xxx gr bullet at XXXX fps. Wind was 14 mph full value from the left. Had to adjust .6 mils to hit at XXX yards with 1.3 mils elevation with current temp and atmospheric conditions.

How would I record that data for quick easy reference in the future?

I'm not sure I'm getting my question across the way I want here... Hope everyone catches on to my meaning.

Mike

If you are going to use hard dope I'd organize it based on the DA that day then you can easily flip to what you want/ need.
in reality almost everyone who is serious about shooting is running a kestrel (or at least some calculator) and just builds a profile and tunes it up and then reference that

Reactions: OkieMike
In my data collection / reference scheme I have the electronic data (Kestrel 5700 or Android w/ Strelok Pro) and hard copy data (data book or data cards). For me both methods are complimentary and I use both tools to confirm and back up the other.

I view my data book as essentially two data books in one with some pages acting as an admin/data collection book and some pages serving as a field/quick reference data book. The data pages where I'm logging hits and taking notes is the admin side that is helping me track trends in the dope, correlate that to changes in DA and anything else related to the ammunition, shooting position, etc.. After a little bit those admin pages feed accurate data to dope charts based on DA so that I have a hard copy reference for the dope if I ever need it. Likewise, I can use those admin pages to affirm that the dope my Kestrel is giving me is accurate, building confidence in the system or I can use it to note deviations that I need to work on truing out.

This is an example of a data book page for my SPR:
20231117_115408.jpg

That data confirms my electronic data and feeds a hard copy summary sheet that's easier to reference at the front of the book:
20231117_115507.jpg

If I don't have my Kestrel and I need the DA I reference a chart like this one to get me in the ball park:
1700240653121.png

That being said, I think things like the Gravity Ballistics worksheets have helped shorten the data collection curve a bit if not make the process more efficient, especially if you're starting from zero.

Reactions: Speed and OkieMike