• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Origin or impact.....hold the phone

AverageGrunt

Former 82ND Airborne Infantryman turned Dad
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2018
Denver, Co
Alright alright before I get ambushed hear me out on this. I have an order for a manners prs1 (shout out to manners as I’ve changed my options like 5 times and they are awesome). And I had the action set for an impact but recently changed it to bighorn origin as I can not seem to justify the extra 500 bucks. I get it if it’s truly that much better as I only plan to use it for 6.5 creedmoor and 1-2 matches a year with some coyote hunting and random plinking. So with the help of someone that likes money and has other hobbies (67 camaro) help with this dilimma as I get paying for better but is it truly that much better. Thanks for any comments and help guys

I would stick with the Origin if price tag is a big criteria.

The Impact doesn't do anything that the Origin doesn't. To some it may "feel better", but also keep in mind the Impact is the hot new girl in town.

I'm sure that you will be happy with the Origin.

Both will do the job just fine. The Impact just feels better, and might be less prone to binding up at the rear. (My TL3 binded more than my Impact). But that doesnt actually affect performance in any way and both will run just fine in poor conditions. While I would choose the Impact, I care a lot about how an action feels. If you dont mind feel that much, Origin is more than an excellent choice!

The Origin is a nice action, and the fact that it's $825 makes it even more attractive. I sold a SAC trued 700 so I could do an Origin build and don't regret it a bit. Unless you are accustomed to running the slickest actions available I doubt you will be disappointed.

Great inputs as I can’t seem to find anyone close that owns an impact and origin so have to go off information for now. Hopefully within 5 months I can get my hands on them. I have a bergara hmr Pro that is nice but it’s just a play rifle and one to use until I complete this build and if a friend needs one to go out hunting with. Money isn’t really a huge deal on it, it’s just hard to tell that it can be that much of a difference where I would regret getting a origin because it’s that much better.

played with an impact before i ever got an origin. i'd take a curtis or ultimatum over an impact as far as smoothness goes. and prefer the origin as well. i like crf/me

played with an impact before i ever got an origin. i'd take a curtis or ultimatum over an impact as far as smoothness goes. and prefer the origin as well. i like crf/me
Would you say the bolt lift on the curtis was similar to impact? I want my next action to be smooth and slick as a worm, so much that my rifle doesn't move.

Would you say the bolt lift on the curtis was similar to impact? I want my next action to be smooth and slick as a worm, so much that my rifle doesn't move.
this bolt lift thing to me is a joke. you dont notice it in a match when they're running right and at speed

comparing the two vector felt better than impact

My best friend has an impact I have shot it many many times, its nice.... It aint $500 extra nice by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldnt trade either of my TL3's for one straight up. The main thing impact has going for it is sponsorship. The origin's I have played with feel smoother than my TL3's which used to irk me but I'm ok with it now... My only issue with the origin is the recoil lug but I could probably get past that especially for the price.

*The majority of cars in Nascar are Chevrolet.... I also still dont drive a Chevy.*

Marketing works.

Last edited:
My best friend has an impact I have shot it many many times, its nice.... It aint $500 extra nice by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldnt trade either of my TL3's for one straight up. The main thing impact has going for it is sponsorship. The origin's I have played with feel smoother than my TL3's which used to irk me but I'm ok with it now... My only issue with the origin is the recoil lug but I could probably get past that especially for the price.

*The majority of cars in Nascar are Chevrolet.... I also still dont drive a Chevy.*

Marketing works.

1_tBWfQguw3TMKWIZMdyLSVQ.jpg

So spending $1300+ on the chassis but got to save on the action? In that case, a Magpul hunter is in order to save more. ?

There comes a point where money exponentially increases for small stuff. Going from a pinned lug and rail to fixed is a huge cost. Yes the Origin will be just fine but I find your reasoning funny as there are literally dozens of other chassis you could save on.

Personally, the fixed lug/rail and finish on the impact were worth it to me.

I have an impact and love it. I’m ordering an Origin for a hunting build with a proof barrel. I’m played with my buddies’ Curtis Custom. I prefer the impact over the Curtis, but they are both great actions.

I think the Origin is the best value out there. However if you think you want an impact, but it. Cheaper to buy once, than buy and not be satisfied, sell at a loss, and buy again.

So spending $1300+ on the chassis but got to save on the action? In that case, a Magpul hunter is in order to save more. ?

There comes a point where money exponentially increases for small stuff. Going from a pinned lug and rail to fixed is a huge cost. Yes the Origin will be just fine but I find your reasoning funny as there are literally dozens of other chassis you could save on.

Personally, the fixed lug/rail and finish on the impact were worth it to me.

I agree 100% on the fixed lug and I do agree that the finish on the impact is impeccable.

Is it worth the extra money to you? That's all that matters at the end of the day.

They're all just bolt action receivers. You're paying for features, tighter tolerances and advertising.

The stainless Remington 700 action I just picked up is quite smooth. It's not as smooth as the Origin, but it's very close.

Last edited:
Worth the $ to me. Especially if it was your first choice. Speaking from experience if you want something and change your mind over $500 then you’ll probably always wish you would have spent the extra. In a month or two after having your second choice you will regret it.....

Impact FTW!

If you are looking at saving money you can roi an impact.

Impacts are say 1400$

But the cool part is prefit barrels. And not using some kind of nut.(I personally dont trust the nut)

So because we have some smiths with fancy cnc's you can get a prefit barrel for 530

Or you can order a custom barrel from whoever for
Barrel :330
Chamber:300
Threads:75
Total. 710

So I save about 180 a barrel

1400 for impact minus 825 for origin = 575

Then 575/180=3.19 barrels

Now I like to shoot so 4 barrels and I can pay for the upgrade to impact..... deal

But the real kicker to the impact for me.... I never have to send my action away. I think my barrel needs to be swapped out I just call up and get one coming, no down time to my shooting

Again I’m not really looking to “save money” per say it’s just a question whether there is that much of a difference for the extra cost. No question that the impact is better but that amounts to another barrel or half a trigger cost etc and I can be just as happy with the origin. Love that proof is offering pre fits for them now

Reactions: Ripdog28
It's really hard to quantify what is "better" when you are talking about this tier of actions. First, you need to define what quantifiable features you want in an action, then after that it pretty much comes down to the subjective "feel" part of the action, which everyone gets wrapped around the axles about (myself included to an extent).

Quantifiable features:
- Action coating/finish (bare, DLC, cerakote, nitrided, etc)
- CRF vs push feed
- scope rail (elevation, integral, pinned, screwed in place, etc)
- interchangeable bolt heads (or not)
- Ejector style
- Mag well cut (AICS, AW, etc..)
- Footprint (rem700, propriety, etc.)
- Bolt handle styles
- 60* vs 90* bolt throw
- 2, 3 or 4 lug bolt heads
- Pinned vs integral recoil lugs
- Reliability in poor condition
- availability of pre-fits
- price
- etc., etc., etc.

Are any of the above important to you? All actions essentially do the same thing, they just accomplish it in slightly nuanced ways.

Once you figure out what's important above, now it comes down to "feel". This is really subjective. What a good action feels like to me, may feel like a poor action to you, and it's really hard to suggest an action based on "feel" alone.

This is where it's going to be difficult, because you don't seem to have much of a preference on the quantifiable qualities of an action. Myself, nor anyone else in this thread will be able to tell you which one you are going to like more. I've never handled an Origin, but I personally don't like the feel of a TL-3. I know a few people that think the Impact is really over-hyped, including a few top tier gunsmiths (and IMO, it's impossible for an action to not be over-hyped if it's as talked about as much as the Impact is), and I know others that swear by that action.

At the end of the day, unfortunately you will have to have both actions in hand to figure out which one you like more. Both will work great for your purposes I'm sure. The responses here will be overwhelmingly for Impact, as the internet is a big echo chamber for them right now - they've done a great job with marketing and getting it in the right hands. Plus, people like to have a little confirmation bias on their purchases.

Again I’m not really looking to “save money” per say it’s just a question whether there is that much of a difference for the extra cost. No question that the impact is better but that amounts to another barrel or half a trigger cost etc and I can be just as happy with the origin. Love that proof is offering pre fits for them now

The only thing I like about the Origin over my Impact is the 60* throw and the easily changed bolt head. But the fixed lug and rail with the finish is what won out on the Impact for me but I still debate an Origin for another build

The only thing I like about the Origin over my Impact is the 60* throw and the easily changed bolt head. But the fixed lug and rail with the finish is what won out on the Impact for me but I still debate an Origin for another build
origin is 90 too

the prefit barrel debate is shit anymore. curtis kelby impact bighorn ARC ultimatum can all take shouldered prefit barrels, and half can take savage barrels if you want to use a nut or switchlug/barloc

I really like this discussion thus far. Here is another looper is I just found out I’m having a kid here in 9 months so this will be my last build for awhile haha. So now do I go all out no regrets on an impact or be sensible haha as most of you guys are “sensible” ;)

Reactions: JMD82 and KPK
I really like this discussion thus far. Here is another looper is I just found out I’m having a kid here in 9 months so this will be my last build for awhile haha. So now do I go all out no regrets on an impact or be sensible haha as most of you guys are “sensible” ;)

I would go with your gut feeling, whichever that is, otherwise you may have regrets (warranted or not).

I would (and did several times....) go used TL3 off the exchange for a little more than a Origin and call it a day.

Unless you know for a fact that you dont care about how the action feels when you run the bolt, your choice is going to be pretty subjective, which means the only real way to answer your question would be for you to try them out in person. I know you mentioned you dont know anyone in your local area who has one, but does your local area had any matches within a reasonable drive?

I spent months searching the forums for my "perfect action" and wasted lots of money on actions I ended up not liking as much as others etc... Then finally I decided to go to a PRS style practice match, and it was the best thing I ever did for my wallet. From there I immediatley knew what I wanted and had absolutely no doubt I was making the best choice for me. Never needed to ask another "which action" question since (i asked a lot of those lol). I cant describe how regretful I felt for not making that simple trip a little earlier!

You may want to do some more hunting for these actions and try them in person if at all possible. Maybe the Origin looks best in theory, then you might realize running the Impact makes you warm and fuzzy inside. Or you may hate it. Never know.

Ive owned/used more actions than most. Defiance, Bighorn, Curtis, Tikka, Remington 700s, Stiller, Kelbly, Mausingfield, Impact, Lone Peak, etc...
Impact and Lone Peak are my absolute favorites. Anti-binding is my number 1 concern for custom actions (some customs have a frustrating amount of binding, I run my bolt kinda sloppy so I need a stupid-proof action), followed by smoothness/bolt lift. Those two actions beat out the others by a large margin imo, and when dealing with custom rifles, my personal opinion is that $500 for an action I enjoy running "slightly" better, is worth it. Because at the end of the day, the cost of the action will pale in comparison to the cost of ammo and barrels Im going to run through it. Its like buying a car that has a moonroof for $1000 more. I dont need it, but why not. Im already spending $25k for the car, and I dont mind spending money on anything I plan on keeping for a looooong time! But again, its all subjective.

Idk about an Origin, but whether you run an Impact prior or not you will love it. Feels better than any I’ve had. Surgeon, Tempest, Defiance, Remmy, etc.

I wasn’t able to test many out but upon calling a few top smiths, despite what they used or had available, they told me Impact or Lone Peak.

Reactions: AverageGrunt
Well after doing my taxes it seems that an impact is in order. I will follow up for a review here soon and hopefully getting my hands on an origin to make it clear to semi noobs like me lol. This will be my last build for awhile so myswell go all out right.

Well after doing my taxes it seems that an impact is in order. I will follow up for a review here soon and hopefully getting my hands on an origin to make it clear to semi noobs like me lol. This will be my last build for awhile so myswell go all out right.
Good choice!

Yup that's the choice I made in the end! I think you will be very happy with the Impact. You wont notice the price difference a month after it is built (at least that was the case for me), all i noticed after it was built was how much i liked it. Customer support from both companies is excellent as well.