• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Original Databook -- Parker Rifle Shots Register

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So I was going through some drawers and came across a goodie I forgot I had. It was my grandfathers (WW1 Veteran served as a Capt. and later Major w. The Victoria Rifles Regiment, retired a Brigadier in 1938.) I got it as a teenager... in the late '70s.

This was his "Parkers Rifle-Shot's Register" I can't date it for sure, but it references a 1919 NRA regulation, so obviously it's after that date. I assume this is British, but it has several references to NRA targets and regulations. Maybe someone knows the link (or was there a British NRA?)

There are some really interesting sections, including the language on spin drift. The wind section is well-done. And the comeups for shooting the short and long Enfield would be interesting to anyone shooting one today.

The back part of the book is about 100 pages of target marking pages, just like a databook.

Here are a few sample pages!

parker1.jpg

Front cover. Embossed. Very posh ;-)

parker2.jpg

parker3.jpg

This section is pretty interesting, because it gets into spin drift.

parker4.jpg

parker5.jpg

parker7.jpg

[image]http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af177/sirhrmechanic/parker8.jpg[image]

parker9.jpg

parker9b.jpg

parker9c.jpg

I thought this was pretty interesting -- bore gauges to measure for fouling??? Bet nobody makes those any more. Also the information on the bore tolerances.

There are about 100 pages like this VVV at the back for recording your actual shots.

parker9g.jpg

Also, here is a link to a slightly earlier version c. 1913 that I found online. It has all its pages visible and they are much better than my quick snapshots. But the information is for earlier rifles, I think.

http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/pa.htm

Just thought you Enfield shooters, in particular, would enjoy this. But it has some interesting information for everyone who is shooting early rifles and even modern stuff. The basic information is still valid!

If someone wants, I'll post all 31 pages and see if I can clean things up a bit better without messing up the binding. But I don't want to waste space.

Cheers and enjoy!

Sirhr

Re: Original Databook -- Parker Rifle Shots Register

Wow, this is really cool. My grandfather had one similar, I think. I should try and find it. Thsnk you for sharing.

Shane

Thats cool, thank you for sharing.

Makes the arguments about who "invented" the data book really funny after seeing this piece of history.

I need to dig through my grandfather WWII stuff again, I may have overlooked some really cool stuff when I was younger.

Thanks again.

windchart.jpg

I looked in the 'other' Rifle Shots Register that I linked above and found these wind charts. They come in everything from Gentle Wind to Gale (above).

Very stylized and Edwardian... but wow, that's one of the most readable, easy to use and fastest wind chart designs I've ever seen. Way better than the wind charts in my (non-Impact-brand) databook...

Maybe an idea for some databook makers out there...??

Cheers,

Sirhr