• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Osprey Barrel Works

S3th

Indecisive
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
Greensboro NC
Since Josh hasn't gotten around to posting about his new company & offering, Osprey Barrel Works, I figured I would.

Osprey Barrel Works barrels are premium quality, stainless steel rifle barrel blanks. Patriot Valley Arms has worked closely with OBW to define a barrel specification for our needs to provide optimal accuracy from precision rifle barrels and we are pleased to be able to offer them in sufficient quantity to provide contoured blanks to the shooter and rifle builder alike.

The OBW blanks have been micro-honed to provide the cleanest, most consistent borehole shape down the length of the barrel possible. "Hole Control" is one of the most important factors in making an accurate rifle barrel, far more important than contour, barrel material, and even how the rifling is formed or cut into the barrel. Osprey Barrel Works focuses a lot of attention on the consistency of the material and the consistency of the hole size and shape down the barrel. There is little point in bothering to rifle a bad drilling as loose spots and excessive runout will cause problems later down the line.

PVA's background in making exceptionally accurate rifles as well as the finest, highest performance rifle bullets in the world provided us a unique experience to create what we feel is an exceptional barrel for the latest bullets and cartridges in the precision rifle industry. We have worked with Osprey Barrel Works to provide the latest in exceptional rifle barrel blanks for the discerning long-range shooter. Through extensive testing, we have seen exceptional consistency by varying the groove count and groove profile of the barrels to optimize performance with the latest generation of "heavy for caliber" rifle bullets in both the conventional jacketed construction as well as monolithic, machined projectiles (aka solids).

Due to the results from this testing, we have decided to provide a 6 groove blank with a square drive "H" cross-section. In order to maximize the consistency of the rifling pattern in the finished barrel, OBW has adopted a unique button rifling process that creates exceptionally consistent, well-defined grooves and lands. Since the hole shape is so well controlled with the hone and there is no chatter from a cut-rifling head to remove the necessity for finish lapping is diminished substantially so the result is that the hole, lands and grooves, and geometry of the entire barrel stay more consistent (RE accurate) throughout the entire process.

There are some distinct advantages to using a fully CNC production process, especially the micro-hone and button pulling process. The micro-hone is capable of producing blank after blank after blank with hole circularity (roundness) in the 1-micron range and holding the diameter to within 2-3 microns for the full length of the barrel. Coupled with a CNC, ultra high-pressure drilling and reaming cycle ahead of the hone generates an exceptionally straight, consistent borehole to the rifle.

All barrels are made from 416RR CReS.

Current twist rates and calibers are as follows:
22 Caliber Centerfire 1:7" RH Twist, 0.219 bore
6mm Caliber 1:7" RH Twist, 0.237 bore
6.5mm Caliber 1:7.5" RH Twist, 0.256 bore

Currently, all blanks are 27" long to finish at 26" maximum length.

Placed an order for a Terminus Zeus 22BR Prefit + Jet4 at the end of July. I like the offering and with today's demand, I don't think anyone can complain about another barrel blank company coming onto the scene.

Reactions: jcmullis2
People are creatures of habit and don’t usually switch brands unless there’s a problem with the old one or there’s a significant savings. Maybe someone who has one can tell us how much they like them.

Reactions: deersniper
People are creatures of habit and don’t usually switch brands unless there’s a problem with the old one or there’s a significant savings. Maybe someone who has one can tell us how much they like them.
This is my second PVA prefit so the switch to OBW from Rock Creek was pretty simple.

This is my second PVA prefit so the switch to OBW from Rock Creek was pretty simple.
Last year I got 2 pva prefits for a tenacity action. One cut rifling and one button but I’m not sure who made the blank. I just seen on their site that they have rock creek blanks for less money than their ospreys.
Rock creek barrels were good years ago. I heard he had some problems but I didn’t realize his barrels had problems. Thanks for the heads up buddy.

Last edited:
Last year I got 2 pva prefits for a tenacity action. One cut rifling and one button but I’m not sure who made the blank. I just seen on their site that they have rock creek blanks for less money than their ospreys.
Rock creek barrels were good years ago. I heard he had some problems but I didn’t realize his barrels had problems. Thanks for the heads up buddy.
I wouldn’t say that any of my rock creeks from pva in the last 5 years have problems. They’ve been spectacular!

I have been pondering one of these since the announcement but it’s tough leaving what’s treated me so well
Edit: I now see that pva actually “makes” the blanks. Anyone that listens to podcasts listen to the soft launch and have any impressions?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say that any of my rock creeks from pva in the last 5 years have problems. They’ve been spectacular!

I have been pondering one of these since the announcement but it’s tough leaving what’s treated me so well
Edit: I now see that pva actually “makes” the blanks. Anyone that listens to podcasts listen to the soft launch and have any impressions?
I agree and was surprised to hear anything negative. The only thing I’ve heard was they had a hiccup with tenacity prefits but only a few barrels went out before they fixed the problem. Maybe someone else has something to add

The Rock creeks are excellent in my experience, I have a prefit OBW on order currently. These just dropped last month so probably not very many in the wild yet. @bohem has earned my trust thus far in the accuracy dept so I'm not very worried about this bbl not shooting.

Hi,

In the real business world there are lots of reasons to vertically integrate more and more to "inhouse" environment than continual vendor environment.

It allows for drastically more control of not only the product but the delivery times!!

I hope @bohem gets the 30cal and 338cal in the works soon :) !!!

Sincerely,
Theis

"Hole Control" is one of the most important factors in making an accurate rifle barrel, far more important than contour, barrel material, and even how the rifling is formed or cut into the barrel.

In order to maximize the consistency of the rifling pattern in the finished barrel, OBW has adopted a unique button rifling process that creates exceptionally consistent, well-defined grooves and lands. Since the hole shape is so well controlled with the hone and there is no chatter from a cut-rifling head to remove the necessity for finish lapping is diminished substantially so the result is that the hole, lands and grooves, and geometry of the entire barrel stay more consistent (RE accurate) throughout the entire process.

There are some distinct advantages to using a fully CNC production process, especially the micro-hone and button pulling process. The micro-hone is capable of producing blank after blank after blank with hole circularity (roundness) in the 1-micron range and holding the diameter to within 2-3 microns for the full length of the barrel. Coupled with a CNC, ultra high-pressure drilling and reaming cycle ahead of the hone generates an exceptionally straight, consistent borehole to the rifle

So few consumers understand this...........everyone arguing over cut vs button vs whatever with no understanding of what actually matters.

I don't care how the hole or the rifling are made. I care about how much dimensional and geometric variation there is from one end to the other.

That is impressive.

So few consumers understand this...........everyone arguing over cut vs button vs whatever with no understanding of what actually matters.

I don't care how the hole or the rifling are made. I care about how much dimensional and geometric variation there is from one end to the other.

That is impressive.
exactly..

who looks under the hood of a car for the engine anymore...its not 1950

if it performs as expected, meets the price point.

i truthfully dont even care how many grooves it has as long as it shoots

Reactions: 308pirate
@S3th when you mentioned microns in your post, did you mean microns as in .001 mm or microns as in microinches?

I'm assuming it was the latter but you know what they say about assuming.

@S3th when you mentioned microns in your post, did you mean microns as in .001 mm or microns as in microinches?

I'm assuming it was the latter but you know what they say about assuming.
Josh will have to answer that. OBW information was pulled directly from PVA's website.

Hi,

In the real business world there are lots of reasons to vertically integrate more and more to "inhouse" environment than continual vendor environment.

It allows for drastically more control of not only the product but the delivery times!!

I hope @bohem gets the 30cal and 338cal in the works soon :) !!!

Sincerely,
Theis
I don’t know why they moved it “in house” but typically moves like that are done primarily for the added profits and possibly for some of the things you mentioned. Depending on the company’s management and their future plans.
New machines should make nice barrels for a long while after they learn to run them properly.
Pva is risking their money and their stellar reputation so they must believe in them. It would be nice to hear from pva on this instead of speculation.

So any update on how folks have liked these barrels?
I am still waiting on mine but go through this thread

Reactions: nrspence
I’ve been shooting a PVA Rock Creek for about 8 months and have a Osprey that I did load dev. on, both chambered in 6BR .105” FB.

The Rock Creek load translated to the Osprey well enough for me to keep that load and it shoots as well as the RC barrel, which is more than accurate enough to win whatever match you sign up for.

Good machine work, quality blanks, quick delivery time, good pricing, what else are you wanting? These are all I’m buying for now…

Reactions: nrspence