• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors OSS for a suppressed precision gas gun?

eugevita

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Anyone here have experience using the OSS cans on precision gas guns?

Considering getting the OSS HX QD 762 TI via their mil program but would like to hear about some experiences that folks have had using their cans on SPR style rifles.

I am mainly attracted to the OSS due to the minimal blowback as I am hoping that will allow me to run without an adjustable gas block. Main intent will be to have it on a 6mm ARC AR with an 18" barrel and 3-15 PST GEN II (hoping to shoot out to and past 1000 with this setup).

Appreciate any advice from those who have used the OSS suppressors!

I've researched them heavy before purchasing cans and they never checked all the boxes for me.

Heavier then comparable cans
Louder than comparable cans
More expensive than comparable cans

Only my opinion.

Edit- I compared the oss to the rugged radiant. Bought the radiant.

Reactions: eugevita
I've researched them heavy before purchasing cans and they never checked all the boxes for me.

Heavier then comparable cans
Louder than comparable cans
More expensive than comparable cans

Only my opinion.

Edit- I compared the oss to the rugged radiant. Bought the radiant.

I am looking at the TI which is 14.5 ounces, price is not bad with the discount i am getting, sounds im not too worried about.

My main concern is reliability without an adjustable gas block and precision/repeatability.

I run an OSS HX QD 762 TI across several different platforms. It is louder than some of my other cans. Not why I purchased it I bought it to go on rifles with and without adjustable gas blocks it does both perfectly. I have noticeably cleaner brass and eat less crap out the back of the rifle than any other suppressor I own. It is probably one of the most well rounded suppressors I have shot for reliability and flexibility between bolt and gas platforms it is a hard use hearing safe can that does that well. It is not a best in class suppressor but that's not what I bought it to be. If you have specific questions let me know.

I run an OSS HX QD 762 TI across several different platforms. It is louder than some of my other cans. Not why I purchased it I bought it to go on rifles with and without adjustable gas blocks it does both perfectly. I have noticeably cleaner brass and eat less crap out the back of the rifle than any other suppressor I own. It is probably one of the most well rounded suppressors I have shot for reliability and flexibility between bolt and gas platforms it is a hard use hearing safe can that does that well. It is not a best in class suppressor but that's not what I bought it to be. If you have specific questions let me know.
This is exactly what I was looking for thank you!

How much POI shift is there with the can on vs off? Is it repeatable? Ever run it on 5.56 as well?

Serious question -if sounds /dB isn't of concern, what is driving you to buy a can?
it is a concern, just not the main concern....reliability without AGB and repeatability is main concern

I have an OSS 7.62 and I love it. Gas blow back is minimal. Poi shift is minimal. I have threaded it onto all my guns and when brought the can back, same zero. (With can). I used ion 556 SPR, 6.5 bolt gun, and 16” 6 ARC. 556 is okay to shoot a couple rounds without hearing, but wouldn’t shoot all day without ear pro. 6.5 creed is suprisingly quiet. And 6 ARC is somewhere in the middle. 556 is used without adjustable gas block and no cycling issues and doesn’t seem to be over gassed. 6 arc has aero adj gas block and I have it at about middle setting. (Would lock to rear but not kick out brass, from there added 2 clicks. No issues )

slightly more carbon build up, it is after all a suppressor, so just increase your wipe down cleanings. Check your chamber when you do, couple cotton swaps and it will be clean.
Best question is to find your intent for the firearm. If you want dead quiet, then another option may be available. Crack of a high velocity round is hard to quiet. But if you don’t want gas in your face (I am a lefty), and easy to thread on and swap (the taper works great, my course threads are crystal clean) and be able to shoot for hunting without ear pro (night time thermal suppressed coyotes that doesn’t even wake the neighbors up) then I’d say go for it.
Will I eventually buy a different brand and style for a different purpose? Sure, but you won’t know exactly what role this tool fills until you try it, IMHO.

good shot of the flow through working.

5FF19D15-90B9-4C51-AAB5-C9C222C427A9.jpeg

I have an OSS 7.62 and I love it. Gas blow back is minimal. Poi shift is minimal. I have threaded it onto all my guns and when brought the can back, same zero. (With can). I used ion 556 SPR, 6.5 bolt gun, and 16” 6 ARC. 556 is okay to shoot a couple rounds without hearing, but wouldn’t shoot all day without ear pro. 6.5 creed is suprisingly quiet. And 6 ARC is somewhere in the middle. 556 is used without adjustable gas block and no cycling issues and doesn’t seem to be over gassed. 6 arc has aero adj gas block and I have it at about middle setting. (Would lock to rear but not kick out brass, from there added 2 clicks. No issues )

slightly more carbon build up, it is after all a suppressor, so just increase your wipe down cleanings. Check your chamber when you do, couple cotton swaps and it will be clean.
Best question is to find your intent for the firearm. If you want dead quiet, then another option may be available. Crack of a high velocity round is hard to quiet. But if you don’t want gas in your face (I am a lefty), and easy to thread on and swap (the taper works great, my course threads are crystal clean) and be able to shoot for hunting without ear pro (night time thermal suppressed coyotes that doesn’t even wake the neighbors up) then I’d say go for it.
Will I eventually buy a different brand and style for a different purpose? Sure, but you won’t know exactly what role this tool fills until you try it, IMHO.
That is awesome, my intent is similar to yours. I want something universal for gas guns and I am not chasing decibals. Just want to run the 6 ARC AR without adjustable gas block reliably and be able throw the same can on other ARs. Thank you for the info

That is awesome, my intent is similar to yours. I want something universal for gas guns and I am not chasing decibals. Just want to run the 6 ARC AR without adjustable gas block reliably and be able throw the same can on other ARs. Thank you for the info
I used it maybe 100 rounds on my 6 arc without messing with the gas block. Using hand loads I was getting the slightest bit of chew marks from the extractor on the case rim. But these were hot loads and since have lowered them down and adjusted the gas block. Factory black shoots good and pretty mild. Below is some velocity from 16” BA. Hand loads and factory

(I did have to seat the factory black slightly as reported from early lot, purchased this lot the day the round was introduced)

87 gr vmax
29.7 varget
2746 FPS
~1”

105 BTHP black
2444 FPS
~1”

108 ELD-M match
2502 FPS
1”

87 gr vmax
30.5 CFE-223
2746 FPS
2-3”

95 SMK
30 gr CFE-223
2646 FPS
2-3”

I've got the 556 and the 7.62 Ti. They work great for semiauto's. I don't need to adjust gas at all. The 556 is a little heavy, but I shoot it on a 12" so it isn't so noticeable. The 762 is quieter than my ultra 7 on my scar 20s. If I could do it over again, I think I'd go with the tbac dominus sr exclusively. I suspect they are just as quiet and definitely lighter and the main reason, it's a TBAC!

I've got the 556 and the 7.62 Ti. They work great for semiauto's. I don't need to adjust gas at all. The 556 is a little heavy, but I shoot it on a 12" so it isn't so noticeable. The 762 is quieter than my ultra 7 on my scar 20s. If I could do it over again, I think I'd go with the tbac dominus sr exclusively. I suspect they are just as quiet and definitely lighter and the main reason, it's a TBAC!
How does the TBAC dominus SR do on blowback? I take it I would need an adjustable gas block with a TBAC

I'm currently looking at an OSS HX-QD Ti as well. I've read a ton of positives about them, and almost no negatives. I'd be using it on bolt guns as well as gassers. I really like the QD brakes and flash hiders they sell and their interchangeability. Seems like an extremely versatile suppressor.

I'm currently looking at an OSS HX-QD Ti as well. I've read a ton of positives about them, and almost no negatives. I'd be using it on bolt guns as well as gassers. I really like the QD brakes and flash hiders they sell and their interchangeability. Seems like an extremely versatile suppressor.
Hope so LOL...just ordered one today!

With the seekins switch block it’s a non issue. I wouldn’t buy an inferior can that sucks at noise to protect you from a 100 dollar gas block. Take the can off. Switch it open. Put it on switch it closed... the sp10 and gap 10 and OBRs run this configuration

there is a reason they are the only thing in stock on silencer-shop for the last 8 months....

they don’t even sell during. A pandemic and an election year....

I dont have the Ti, but I have both the Helix QD 7.62 (old gen) and the "new" HX-QD-762, I have the old gen on my Tikka CTR, it is awesome and sounds pretty good.

The new gen swaps between a 6.5CM and 308 upper, and on my WASR 10/63 UF AKM. The 6.5 CM is ridiculous how good it sounds, much better than the 308, and on the 762x39 it is almost as good as 300BO with the brown bear subs. So my experience pretty much mirrors Knueven3.

Oddly enough, on both the 6.5CMs they seem to have a percieved increase in how well they shoot, the Tikka is confirmed that it shoots significantly better with the can on, the AR10 upper is not confirmed on paper but seems to shoot better. All of them return to zero when removed and re installed.

Some people get really wrapped around the axle on the Db part of suppressors, but thats just one piece of the whole system.

When I got the OSS HX, I was originally on the waiting list for a CGS Helios QD, I got tires of waiting and had Silencer shop swap my order around since I wasnt assigned a serial# yet.