• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OT: Job - ethics of a lay-off

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
So I'm geting laid off, 22 days and counting.

I will still do my utmost to make sure I keep the systems running, I run on honor and I will do my job to the best of my ability.

I don't believe in burning bridges.

But because there will be no IT support after I leave as the base IT section does NOT do software support - I'm getting asked a LOT of questions on how to fix this system when/if it goes down.

I'm getting asked by the gov people as well as contractors.

I tell the contractors FU and to go to school to get my credentials.

But the gov people I cannot be so blunt with.

Is it just me or is it entirely UNETHICAL for someone to ask you to train them when they know you are leaving?

After the power outage this weekend, I can tell ya this system will go down again after the NEXT power outage - not my problem at that point.

I just get pissed off when people that will be filling in "trying" to fix this system ask me how to do it...

</rant>

Re: OT: Job - ethics of a lay-off

I am in a different situation, as I am voluntarily leaving my current job, for a better opportunity.
But I gave my current company almost a month notice, and I am spending this month writing down things and documenting the projects I have worked on.
Besides from the general "it's the right thing to do", remember that leaving a good impression to the people you are working for, might turn out to be useful in the future.
Good stand up people with knowledge are not easy to find.

I tired to do the ethical thing when my last job laid me off. They asked me to stick around and train somebody else for 2 weeks which I said I would do but then my soon to be ex-supervisor was an asshole and wanted to hover to make sure I didn't steal anything (after 6yrs of working there) when I went in to do that training so I bounced right then and there. My buddies who still work there said they were shut down trying to figure it out for about 2 months. So they burnt their bridge with me and paid the price. Got my unemployment either way so...

When they ask the question:

"What do I do when (this) happens?"

You then reply to them:

"Phone me at (such-n-such) a number, and I'll talk you through it".

Give them a dedicated line, that you're willing to carry. After the first half-dozen calls, or so, you can then negotiate some sort of "consulting process".

Just an idea. Both lines are covered, and no scalp-hunters in the middle.

It's a tricky situation, for sure. I ran the IT shop for a major record label a few years back. For about three years and one merger, it was constant layoffs. I took it as MY responsibility as the director to make sure that knowledge was shared and systems were documented. When the hatchet fell on me, I had done my part.

I would give them the number of the person who laid you off, and direct them to contact them for any issues. You shouldn't be expected to "Train your replacement," especially when it is a person who will not be dedicated to the job, just someone that they think can do it on the side of their full time job.

Sadly, they carry more weight towards you getting a good next job than they should.

I was laid off by a company back in 2003.
They were in manufactured housing and times were tight.

Boss asked me to take a voluntary two week sabbatical, which I did willingly. I was making good money in IT, and I felt that me forgoing my higher end salary could mean that several people who were living much more hand-to-mouth than I was could keep working a while longer.

During the two weeks, they had me in and out several times to fix things. They also hit me up for phone support and e-mail Q&A's on a regular basis.

At the end of the two weeks period, they stopped calling and I honestly didn't know where I stood, so I asked.

Turns out they had used me during that period to transition to having someone who said they knew something about computers and networking to take over my duties. My services were no longer needed.

I didn't take it well. Without getting into much detail here, let's just say that I got back into the systems and "undid" many of the things that they had me do during my two weeks off w/o pay.

Bridges burnt to a crisp.
Fuck 'em!

So a nice opportunity presented itself a few months later and I applied. Was all set with interviews, paperwork, salary negotiations, etc., when all of a sudden I was informed that I didn't get the job.

On the record, I was not given a reason, other than they'd decided to go another direction.

Off the record, I found out that the previous employer had recommended against hiring me, citing that I had "broken into" their systems and caused havoc.

Moral of the story?
Shit if I know??!

Advice?
Start your own business as a consultant and do contract work.
Best thing I ever did.

I whole heartedly agree with the above statement. I wouldn't train a replacement or someone doing the same job as I if they were to be paid more than me. Now that may seem greedy of me not to train someone to do want I do for more money but I went to school to learn to do what I do. I didn't just pick it up on the fly. I had a boss man hire a guy in (green) never been in the field and paid him twice the hourly rate as me. After about a few weeks of having to tell him the same stuff over and over. I went to the boss and told him I would show up the next day with shop clohes on and he could find me a spot out there or I'd go looking for something else but I wasn't going to train someone to do my job for twice the money. So I found myself learning to run a sub-arc welding line the next day. I got home and told my dad about this happening and he said good for you. You may not ahve a job tommorow but at least you stood up for what you believe.

Now to make this funny about five years down the road. Working for a bigger outfit the same guy shows up looking for a job. I was the next guy under the super and he asked me about him. I told him if he gets a job in here with me. They'd need to hire him twice cause he'd have a empty desk at my work station.

tucker301 said:
S

Turns out they had used me during that period to transition to having someone who said they knew something about computers and networking to take over my duties. My services were no longer needed.

That's just F'ing wrong!!!

I had been with a company for 27 years through thick and thin. When things started down hill because of the economy, the owner told the two of us that were left he would take care of anyone who stuck it out with him. Well on the very last day I got the old pat on the back, handshake and thanks for making me all this money speech...I don't know what I was expecting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When they ask the question:

"What do I do when (this) happens?"

You then reply to them:

"Phone me at (such-n-such) a number, and I'll talk you through it".

Give them a dedicated line, that you're willing to carry. After the first half-dozen calls, or so, you can then negotiate some sort of "consulting process".

Just an idea. Both lines are covered, and no scalp-hunters in the middle. </div></div>

I believe Sean the Nailer nailed it! Sounds like a good way to keep your foot in the door, and keep a lot of lines open without transferring a lot of intel.
That having been said; It's your foot thats in the door not mine.
Best of luck!

OK For the record I work for a major contractor - I have won several awards in my last job because my former boss, tightwad and company man as he was, put us in for those.

For this job with this company I would not come back if they begged me and offered me a salary increase.

However ther emay be another opportunity on base before too long so I want to leave that bridge intact.

But for the govt people, due to the seaport contract, they should not be emailing me direct anyway - pretty well spelled out.

and obviously since I could not get a gov job on this base I pissed someone off with my bluntness - that and I'm IT and it was contracted out to NMCI so there are VERY few non-contract IT jobs on this base now.

So locally in this code I don't care if I burn a bridge but I need to look valuable to the company.

As for contracting to come back, I might if they called - but they would likely call the softeware company and webX in or something else - and they would pay as it's still cheaper than me.

But I would *NEVER* EVER, UNDER NO CIRCMSTANCE give them free tech support once I am gone - NO - my time is valuable to Me and it's a "Business decision" not to do that.

It's the same "Business decision" they used to lay me off.

You gotta watch out for yourself these days. It's rude and it's crude and there are TIMES where I will help someone if it leads to a job or if it's a charity case but NEVER with a business - NO BUSINESS EVER gets a charity case unless they can do service for me in another way shape or form.

I learned about this "Business decision" crap years ago during the dot-com era, hell I had $10,000 worth of server RAM in my car when I got the notice - boss told me just to leave, with it...I tried to return it!

So yeah, business is business and when it comes to that I charge $125/hr for my services, minimum 4hrs (For b usinesses).

As a military contractor if they wanted to bring me back I'd have to say $75 an hour, twice my salary, just because it would be so short a time.

But I'd rather see them pay the software company 5-10k to bring someone out to fix it.

I can do all of that without burning a bridge with my company.

Then I would say, simply,,,,

No.

Have a nice day...

If you want to really "stick-it" to them, direct them to your lay-off dude. You know, the one with all the answers.

That sucks ArticLight and I feel you. I was informed in the last week or two, that me and 5 of my co workers were not need anymore. They were going down to 40 hours a week only, so they kept the 4 that had been there the longest. I got another month and a half before they let me go. So looks like I will be headed back down south to AL or FL unless another job comes up else where. I try not to burn bridges because in my career field alot of people know each other in alot of different places, so it is good to be looked at in a good light.

A simple letter to the commandant of the post, via e-mail, should let him know a few things:
One, his Government employees are incapable of running the system without you
Two, his contracotr's are incapable of running the system without you
Three, you cannot train the aforementioned to do your job as they are unqualified
Four, Would he consider making a job just for you so he has someone who knows what they are doing running his IT section.
His governement workers and contractor's have shown that they cannot, as well as shown that they are untrainable without the years of education and experience that you have. Let him also know that you have done your job to the best of your ability so his system is secure. Of course, since you are you, you can always give the entire system a shut down command for the day after you leave too
grin.gif

Switch - remember that tub racing i used to do?

I was partying with the base CO, the head of HR, and despite that - they just simply cannot invent a govt IT job for me....

The layoff has been coming so it's not like I just got notice and all - just trying to QUIETLY bide my time for that severance check and the paydays between now and then - get some cash in the bank, pay one more mortgage and be set to write my book.

Just sucks when people ask you how to do something - won't answer those.

Again as for burning bridges, I would not come back to work for this CODE for anything- no amount of money, but for my company or the GOVT yes - so for that reason I'm careful.

I'm doing the honorable thing...IMHO...

Just had to rant today, but it could be worse, I could be in Afghanistan putting up with BS over there....so this rant is just a rant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I'm geting laid off, 22 days and counting.

I will still do my utmost to make sure I keep the systems running, I run on honor and I will do my job to the best of my ability.

I don't believe in burning bridges.

But because there will be no IT support after I leave as the base IT section does NOT do software support - I'm getting asked a LOT of questions on how to fix this system when/if it goes down.

I'm getting asked by the gov people as well as contractors.

I tell the contractors FU and to go to school to get my credentials.

But the gov people I cannot be so blunt with.

Is it just me or is it entirely UNETHICAL for someone to ask you to train them when they know you are leaving?

After the power outage this weekend, I can tell ya this system will go down again after the NEXT power outage - not my problem at that point.

I just get pissed off when people that will be filling in "trying" to fix this system ask me how to do it...

</rant> </div></div>

"Of course this solution only works for ONE very specific set of circumstances and will NOT necessarially work for any thing else." Give them this line at the end of each solution that they ask for. After a while they will start wondering if any of the solutions that you have given them will work and maybe quit asking. Or "think" you are giving all of them the FU.
If they need someone with your skills then they should be ready to hire a qualified replacement. If they don't want to do that then keeping the thing up and running becomes their problem as soon as you leave.

Don't even consider threating to put in code that will shut the system down after you leave. It will get you out of there immediately. You might want to consider something that after a certain number of trys at correcting an error will just lock the thing up for a certain length of time. If they ever ask you about it,"Since I have absolutely NO idea what you have been doing to that system since I left, I have no idea what you are talking about or how someone might have screwed it up because they didn't know what they were doing."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sadly, they carry more weight towards you getting a good next job than they should.

I was laid off by a company back in 2003.
They were in manufactured housing and times were tight.

Boss asked me to take a voluntary two week sabbatical, which I did willingly. I was making good money in IT, and I felt that me forgoing my higher end salary could mean that several people who were living much more hand-to-mouth than I was could keep working a while longer.

During the two weeks, they had me in and out several times to fix things. They also hit me up for phone support and e-mail Q&A's on a regular basis.

At the end of the two weeks period, they stopped calling and I honestly didn't know where I stood, so I asked.

I didn't take it well. Without getting into much detail here, let's just say that I got back into the systems and "undid" many of the things that they had me do during my two weeks off w/o pay.

Bridges burnt to a crisp.
Fuck 'em!

So a nice opportunity presented itself a few months later and I applied. Was all set with interviews, paperwork, salary negotiations, etc., when all of a sudden I was informed that I didn't get the job.

On the record, I was not given a reason, other than they'd decided to go another direction.

<span style="color: #3366FF">Off the record, I found out that the previous employer had recommended against hiring me, citing that I had "broken into" their systems and caused havoc.</span>
Moral of the story?
Shit if I know??!

Advice?
Start your own business as a consultant and do contract work.
Best thing I ever did. </div></div>

I'm sure you know that there are federal laws against an ex employer talking bad about an applicant.
All they can say is that they worked from time to time ie;1996 to 2006
With the proper proof and an attorney, you have a law suit.
However, that and .50 cents will get you a coffee.
Glad that it worked out for you.
Companies now want to use you up for what you know and spit you out for someone imported for less money.
This great nation is changing,,,like it or not.

I am also with Sean. If I am going to train anyone to do my job I will train them to assure they will be calling me back for help. Train them just enough to get them knee deep in shit.

I quite my job once and gave a 5 minute notice. I asked for things for a few months and nothing happened. For 4 years the GM asked me to come back at least once a month as they had to hire 3 people to replace me. Kept saying no until the new job didn't give me what I wanted and told him I was leaving. Funny how they will give you everything you ask for and more if you say you are leaving but when I make up my mind it is like a switch. So back to the original job with everything I had asked for and a little extra. Now with the economy the way it is my income has gone right in the toilet but that is the business I guess.

When they ask you to "Train" them in your job, tell them that there's not enough time in the day and you only have 22, 21, 20... days left. "You'd love to help but its just to much to sit down and explain. Covers both side and your not giving up what make you valuable.

Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't even consider threating to put in code that will shut the system down after you leave. It will get you out of there immediately. </div></div>

In my job it would get you in prison, FAST. These are all DOD machines, I am one of hte guys that secures them against bad guys and we had MANY MANY attempts from our bad guys but not one, not ONE got through my servers.

No, they wanted a documented case of how I fixed this particular issue.

Simple answer was that i was not our issue, it was the network and when the other code fixed it we came back online.
smile.gif

I run on honor but I won't be walked on. THe systems will be running TOP notch the day I leave.

I expect phone calls in the future on how to fix it, but guys I got a book to write - you wait - you will see me published (again).

smile.gif

17 work days and counting! It is not a bad thing, I have no debt and I could use the time off to re-evaluate life and career...:)

That is a tough situation. If you act nasty then that could cause problems in getting called back-if that is what you want.

If it were me I would make the person who is asking me a question go to the person who is laying you off and ask that person to train them. Then when the person who is laying you off asks you-you should help him. And do this every time so the guy laying you off really realizes how valuable you are. He truly may not know. So make sure he knows. Only offer minimal advice. Just enough for the person to get by. Then when you get laid off your boss may realize pretty quickly how valuable you are. But you need to make darn good and well sure your boss knows how valuable you are!! If you are really that valuable then he will have to call you back. If you are not really that valuable then you will soon find out. Tom.

Personally, unless my job description reads somewhere along the lines of "trains replacements for his job", I won't train anyone to replace me.

My knowledge, experience and skills leave WITH ME when I walk out the door. That is what they are paying for- per-say, the rental of that knowledge, skills and experience. When you lease a car, you don't get to keep the engine, transmission, axles and tires when you turn it back in. Why should they get to keep what you have to offer, without keeping and paying you?

You do your job, to the letter of your job description (never take a job without a written job description), and when the time comes, you walk out the door. When asked how to fix this, that, or to depart some knowledge on whoever, the simplest of answers works best- I'm sorry, I can't do that. I'm an employee here to solve these issues and do this work, not to train others to do it." And you can always add in something like "It's offensive and unprofessional for you to ask me to train my replacement when I am leaving, not of my own free-will." Plain and simple, it is unprofessional.

Edit: felt like I should expand upon this a bit...
There is a degree of sharing of knowledge that will happen when you have co-workers in the same field. I don't advocate being a loner and not sharing things with others working in the same area of expertise as you. However, the line is drawn if you are, for example... the sole individual in the IT section at a manufacturing company... they transfer some dude from the floor into the IT section and tell you to train him. That's where the distinction lies... Sharing knowledge goes both ways- and is legitimate because the other individual has some sort of basis of education on the area. Training, unless in you job description/contract turns you into the educator- and if you are to replace the formal training institutes, as well as do your job... you should be compensated accordingly. Seems in most of these situations, the individual is hired to do a job in a high cost field- business goes south so they ask the individual hired only to do a job, to now train someone without the credentials to do the same job. This is what you call a conflict of interest, and it is highly unprofessional.

ArcticLight,
I know it sucks that your getting let go but continue to take the high road and you'll be better off for it. I worked for years as a Detective in our Tech Surveillance Unit. The guy running it at the time was a little standoffish and would not share what he knew and kind of left the rest of us to fend for ourselves. After attending several years of training and on the job experience, I picked up a real knack for the job and took over the unit when Dave retired. I also started teaching all over the country and made sure the new guys got squared away on all our equipment and designs. After several years, I ended up not seeing eye to eye with the captain who ran the HIDTA Unit and ended up being transferred out. I was replaced by a guy with far less knowledge and experience, that I trained. Even after leaving the unit, I was contacted by my replacement and asked for help, and was called by several detectives who needed certain equipment built and/or installed. While I was pissed, I never said no. It wasn't there fault I got transferred because the Captain was an A-HOLE! I found myself soon there after transferred to another unit and was told it was because I never bitched, moaned or whined like some do. Just went on about my business doing what I had to do.
For you this could be a chance to write or do whatever you want. If your as good as you say. Someone will snatch you up.

Throwing my $.02 in - work to the best of your ability until your layoff takes effect. Do the amount of work that could be expected from you, including training and all that, until then. If they need you after that, they should have to pay you for your service. If they need someone to do the job you're doing, they shouldn't lay you off, but you have no control over that. The people whom they want to take over your position when you leave should be more than capable of following any instruction you give them on how to keep the system running. If they can't, well, your employer should have thought about that before it was decided that they could just get rid of you.

Do no harm. That's all that is required to maintain a clear conscience. More than that is your choice, but layoffs make a difference.

As a contractor, I'd charge 'em and tell 'em they get what they pay for. Any further accomodations will require new contract negotiation, and your knowledge and skills just got a lot more valuable.

Portal to portal, minimum 8 hours. Period.

If they don't like it, they are welcome to consult your competition.

This situation wasn't of your choosing, and any consequences are on their heads. They want to drink the milk, it's either buy the cow, or pay by the quart. Handouts ended the day they decided to do a layoff. It is not in your interest to undercut yourself and their right to ask favors ended when they terminated your contract. No hard feelings, it's just business.

The high road feels good, but pays no bills. In good times, unwritten assurances from employers are only worth the paper they are written on. In time like these, less.

No. Just no.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm sure you know that there are federal laws against an ex employer talking bad about an applicant.
All they can say is that they worked from time to time ie;1996 to 2006
With the proper proof and an attorney, you have a law suit.
</div></div>

Not in federal land, where he is. He in essence signs over all privacy.

Likewise, private companies may have policies of following laws, but when you are asked for references, they may be requested specifically to be your boss. He may or may not work for that company. They may specifically request someone that was not your boss.

It's unenforceable at best, unless someone sends "Screw that guy, he raped the women, burned down the building, and drove off into the sunset in a company car loaded with trade secrets" on company letterhead and a notarized signature from the owner or other official public facing employee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in a different situation, as I am voluntarily leaving my current job, for a better opportunity.
But I gave my current company almost a month notice, and I am spending this month writing down things and documenting the projects I have worked on.
Besides from the general "it's the right thing to do", remember that leaving a good impression to the people you are working for, might turn out to be useful in the future.
Good stand up people with knowledge are not easy to find.
</div></div>

I've done that too. Screw the people you are working <span style="font-style: italic">for</span> though often times... I've always done it for the good people I was working with. Enabling their looking more adept gives you solid references later. Depending on industry, you may end up getting referred work or invited onto projects out of the blue too.

IMO leaving in good terms, is especially important in the IT business.
I have seen quite a few times IT personnel being cut because management thought they could do w/out IT (or, more likely, with reduced IT personnel), and then either hired back or long term contracted at costs higher than the ones they were spending before.

I have been around a long time(old man). There is a saying that rings very very very true. And that is: "What goes around comes around". Young guys do not understand that. Most older guys do. Being a "dick" now, will only get you "screwed" later. It really is that simple. Why in any world would you want to piss off a guy who may be the one hiring you back(hopefully). What possible satisfaction could someone get from that, except bitterness??

I have been screwed over five times(bad ones) in my lifetime. So far I have gotten back at four of them. I took me 25 years to get the one guy. And the last guy is still on my list. Why put yourself on some ones list?? Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been around a long time(old man). There is a saying that rings very very very true. And that is: "What goes around comes around". Young guys do not understand that. Most older guys do. Being a "dick" now, will only get you "screwed" later. It really is that simple. Why in any world would you want to piss off a guy who may be the one hiring you back(hopefully). What possible satisfaction could someone get from that, except bitterness??

I have been screwed over five times(bad ones) in my lifetime. So far I have gotten back at four of them. I took me 25 years to get the one guy. And the last guy is still on my list. Why put yourself on some ones list?? Tom. </div></div>

Although I'm 44 I was also raised in that method. Honor first.

Bottom line, it's NOT in my job description by the seaport contract to teach anyone how to "repair", only "user operation" so I'm covered there, legally.

I have an appointment with my GM today, this is HIS investment they are trying to take away - he's losing the profit of me working for him so he's not going to want me giving away anything above and beyond day to day operations.

He is also the one that would be hiring me back for another code (Building) on base - so I always keep that cool.

I would never come back to this code, contracted privately or for my employer - THEY have burned that bridge. I realize it's a business decision but my job was specifically targeted, so as Greg said they can either buy the cow or pay by the quart. When they pay by the quart they have to go to the software company and they are MEGA expensive. They also cannot always fix things because of the security being so tight on our system - all US Navy servers running this software are doing so because of a set of procedures I wrote - I can feel good about that on my resume. But I am done here.

So after laying awake until 3AM listening to the thunder and rain I decided it's in my best interest to get my lay-off date moved up to the last day of this pay period so I can pay my mortgage.

Then I'm on my way, new path....

And who knows, my company may get a contract down in targets (LOL) since they are putting something on the seaport contract, kinda specific to my resume too ...always helps to know people and cross back over bridges I never burned before....:)

Start up a consulting business. Remember, the short time frame when they do need you after you depart is your most lucrative. Charge what you will, but keep in mind what a true burden cost for a company is for an employee....i.e. if you were making $50 a hour I'm sure you could easily ask for $150 since there is no overhead, insurance, etc. A lot of my friends in the IT world are well off due to this scenario that you are experiencing. They charge min 4 or 8 hours, usually 2 of which is to document what you actually did in a report that is a deliverable lol The first few jobs they even asked for payment in advance since the company did not have credit lines established with ex-employee's llc.

AL it sounds like you are on the right track.
Never ever work for free. The mouths are always open and when you feed them they shit on you in return.
Consulting is a good gig but the independent contractor life can be a bear due to tax regulations.