• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Other than 6.5 Creedmoor and 308, what is the next wildcard cartridge to go big on the AR10 platform?

Try the 500 blackout when they are done with it. I dont know much about it except rumors unfortunately. But I'm sure the interwebs will have something
I see one big glaring issue with 500 blackout.

most cans are going to be 45 bore. Ruins the entire purpose to running sub ammo.

6.5 Creed is a good match for AR 10. Low recoil, slippery bullet doesn’t get blown around much in wind, and many premium accessories and ammo types and weights for any purpose you could desire. I’m in Texas and use it suppressed for wild boar. Running suppressed caused a hiccup in mine with over gassing using Hornady ELDX ammo. I used an adjustable gas block to fine tune so it works for both. Rifle was to be my first eld (1000m) rifle—as turns out, besides eld, I prefer it for hunting boar/deer, leaving all my other hunting rifles in the safe. I am biased on AR platform as I am a 20 year Vet and fired, carried, taught classes, and was on marksmanship teams using the AR platform. I have some nice bolt guns, and as a lefty, can manipulate them perfectly, but I prefer the ergonomics of a pistol grip. For me, when I first touched the AR10, my proficiency with new rifle was instant.

I would LOVE to see the “Nosler” be introduced in a semi-auto AR-10 platform. Or even have Desert Tech or Barrett take it on as an option for their modular systems.

The 6.8/.277 whatever Sig round if it is actually adopted by .mil would be the next "It" cartridge

Reactions: Constructor
The 6.8/.277 whatever Sig round if it is actually adopted by .mil would be the next "It" cartridge
Isn't that the 6.8 Western?

Then I saw an ad somewhere for polymer cased ammo and immediately thought of that as well.

For sure it's coming.

Does 8.6 Creedmoor have a chance? What other cartridge stands a chance to challenge the 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor on the AR10 platform as the next hot caliber to blow up on the platform over the next 5 years? Is there room for the AR-10 platform to grow in terms of cartridges or is the Bolt Action rifle just better all around for most large caliber needs?

So, that means not stepping down to the AR-15 platform with the 6.5 Grendal, 6MM Arc, or 6.8 SPC, or stepping up to the big boy calibers with the Falkor/NEMO 300 Win Mag or the Armalite or Ruger 338 Lapua.

If I say something that sounds ignorant, that's because I am. I'm new to guns, and I probably said something in my question that doesn't make sense haha.
8.6 sounds like a cool, little round but I am not sure if it makes a lot of sense to me.

For example, it can load more efficient bullets but doesn't quite have the case capacity of a 338 federal so I am not sure it makes the most sense for hunting type applications. In subsonic, The 300BO in a lighter overall package just seems like a better field rifle that a much heavier 8.6.

I think the next step is going to come with new case technology like the Sig's bi metal design that lets rounds get push a lot harder.

I think the AR15/PDW makes sense in 300BO, A Large frame AR/Battle rifle in 8.6 not so much

Isn't that the 6.8 Western?

Then I saw an ad somewhere for polymer cased ammo and immediately thought of that as well.

For sure it's coming.
No, the 277 Fury is like a 308 necked down to .277 but operates at 80,000 psi.
The 6.8 western is between a RSAUM and WSM in size...magnum bolt face 650000psi.

With sig's new bi metal design at 80 KSI, I can see that running alright in a bolt gun (poor throats). But how is that going to work long term on a gas gun? Even with long gas tubes, small gas ports, and heavy BCG's/Buffers that system is going to be running violent with that kind of pressure. Even though the new case design can handle the pressure, how do guys plan on running these pressures in gas guns and making the system last?

Reactions: Earnhardt
With sig's new bi metal design at 80 KSI, I can see that running alright in a bolt gun (poor throats). But how is that going to work long term on a gas gun? Even with long gas tubes, small gas ports, and heavy BCG's/Buffers that system is going to be running violent with that kind of pressure. Even though the new case design can handle the pressure, how do guys plan on running these pressures in gas guns and making the system last?
Adjustable gas block?